Hozier is Edgar Allan Poe
I know it sounds a little crazy on the surface, but really think about it for a minute and you’ll see how exactly 100% correct I am.
First, consider the following themes and motifs: magic, nature, grief, sin, love, death, death, death, the subversion of everything you thought you knew. Consider the tenuous thread connecting love and joy. Consider the stronger thread connecting love and sadness.
Consider how both Hozier and Poe understand your innermost feelings in exactly the right way. Consider being twelve years old and reading “Annabel Lee” and crying, and being nineteen years old and listening to “Work Song” and crying, and feeling a strange familiarity.
Consider also the following quotes (italicized is Hozier, bolded is Poe, not that it matters, because they’re the same):
- the way she shows me I’m hers and she is mine
- all I loved, I loved alone
- honey don’t feed it; it will come back
- deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dream no mortal ever dared to dream before
- offer me that deathless death; good God, let me give you my life
- sleep, those little slices of death
- only blue or black days
- years of love have been forgot in the hatred of a minute
- there’s something wretched about this, something so precious about this; oh, what a sin
- invisible things are the only realities
- I had a thought, dear, however scary, about that night, the bugs and the dirt / why were you digging, what did you bury, before those hands pulled me from the earth?
- deep in earth my love is lying, and I must weep alone
- when my time comes around, lay me gently in the cold dark earth / no grave can hold my body down, I’ll crawl home to her
- neither the angels in heaven above nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee
- the blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine
- this is a world of sweets and sours
I could go on, but I think I’ve made my case. Hozier is Edgar Allan Poe - reincarnated? Immortal with some cosmetic alterations? Possessed by his ghost? We may never know. All we know for certain is that Poezier’s dark influence is too powerful and I hope there’s not more than two of him.