- Trump has signed two executive orders to expedite the review of the Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines.
- The construction of these pipelines would likely contaminate Native Americans’ drinking water and cost them their lives.
- Along with Trump’s decision to push forward with the pipelines — a literal representation of his disregard for the health and well-being of Native Americans — came a symbolic one.
- According to the New York Times, Trump had a portrait of Andrew Jackson — the president responsible for the Indian Removal Act and consequently the Trail of Tears — installed in the Oval Office on Tuesday.
- Trump and his administration consider Jackson the first populist president and, therefore, an idol. Read more