The older I get, the more obsessed I am with anything and everything Lisa Frank. But of course we may not always have the time or energy to do a full-blown 90s homage (like these I did before). So here’s a simple, fun, and super easy tutorial for how to sport a classic Lisa Frank look!
1. Paint your nails with a white polish.
2. Using a makeup sponge and generous amounts of polish, paint stripes of the colors you want to use in your gradient, overlapping the colors just a bit. I went for the full gradient, using dark purple, light purple, pink, yellow, mint, and blue. Make sure your stripes are wide enough to cover the full nail when you stamp it in the next step.
3. Stamp your nail. The trick to getting a good stamp out of it is to NOT press down hard when you stamp your nail. You just want to use a light amount of pressure. This allows the polish to transfer thickly to your nail versus absorbing more into the sponge.
4. I used a cheap clear coat to smudge the colors together a bit before they dry. This just makes the ombre a bit smoother. But be careful with this step. If you work on any area too much you risk wiping away the color to reveal the white, or picking up a color on the brush and bringing it where it isn’t meant to go!
5. Using a black Migi Nail Art pen (or a nail art brush dipped in black polish), create your basic leopard print shapes. The best way I can explain to do this is to make various crooked horseshoe/“n” shapes, or sort of ( ) shapes. Mix it up, play around with the shapes - no leopards are perfect!
6. Fill in the gaps between your spots by creating dots and tiny lines.