Check out the full length tutorial for this design here!
After cleaning, filing, and shaping the nails and applying a base coat:
apply two thin coats of blue polish
using a big dotting tool and some white polish, make two big dots down the center of the nail, one at the tip and one at the base
using a smaller dotting tool, make a row of dots going down the center of the nail (in between those two big ones)
use the same small dotting tool to make two small dots on either size (horizontally) of the original two big ones (this is a total of 4 dots - one on either side of the dot at the base of the nail and one on either side of the dot at the tip of the nail)
use the big dotting tool from step one to make two big dots on either side of the row of little dots (so basically two big dots in the empty space on the sides of the nails)
this ones for painting your nails. now i have no problem saying that I’m good at nails. I’m fucking good. people are asking me ‘oh where’d ya get your nails done’ and i tell them that i did them and they like ‘damn.’ so here we go.
1. start with a clean, polish free hand of nails. file your nails. file the tip and buffer the top layer of the nails of gently with a nail buffer. make sure not to file the nail to sharp at the tip or to thin on the top layer. one of my technicians told me once that having oval nails were for old ladies and that square nails make you look younger. i agree with her. keep that in mind. what ever you want/ whatever works best for you. when you’re done, wipe your nails with acetone nail polish remover.
2. get your self a base coat. i like the opi original base coat. it drys fast and make my polish stay long.
shake your bottle and dip your brush. pull the brush out and wipe off only one side of the brush. turn the brush over, so that side that hasn’t been wiped off is facing the neck of the bottle. tap that side on the neck of the bottle to remove a little more base coat. find the side of the brush that has the most liquid on it and turn the brush so that side will be the one to touch the nail.
place the brush in the middle of the base of the nail, just short of the cuticle and pull upward to reach the tip. then bring the brush back down just short of the cuticle, on the right side of the nail and again bring the brush to the tip. repeat on the left side of the nail. heres the trick. DONT PUT THE BRUSH RIGHT AT THE BASE OF THE CUTICLE. because the cuticle is a little bit higher than the nail, the polish will pool in that little well and make your nails look un professional. this is why whenever you put on polish, start with the brush away from the cuticle at the bottom of the nail.
3. once all your nails are dry with base coat, choose your color. if your polish is dry, you can buy a thinner, or take a small amount of nail polish remover, add it to the nail polish and shake. it will thin the polish, but it may make it a little bit less opaque. again, repeat step two with your nails. start at the base middle of your nail, away from the cuticle and pull up to the tip. repeat with the right and left sides of the nail. it is important to make thin-ish coats of polish. thin enough to not create a lake of polish, but thick enough to not have any sparse bare spots when you pulling your brush to the tip. i recommend adding a second coat of polish after your first one is dry.
4. clean around your nail with a pointed q tip. if you’ve succeeded in keeping the polish away from your cuticle, your job shouldn’t be that hard. while doing your first hand, and you make as mistake and your nails are long enough, your can always go in with a nail from you other hands and lightly scrape that polish away while its still wet.
5. add your top coat. a lot of people find top coat to be very important, but i feel that if you’ve used a base coat, and plan on changing your nails color soon, don’t worry about it. really.
there you go. you do everything right you aint gonna need to haul your ass to the salon to dish out $20 for a mani. prosper my hoes. prosper
if you want me to make a video of how i do my nails, hmu in my ask box