Hi! I want to write a modern fantasy about magical creature living in our world. Have you got any Modern Kelpie Prompts?
I’d never heard of a Kelpie before but I always like learning about cool new mythological creatures :)
- A local rancher/farmer finds an injured horse near the lake and takes it in to help it heal. Their other animals and those of the people nearby start to disappear or end up drowned.
- Since it’s not such a well-known creature what if a monster hunter gets wind of a case and believes it’s a siren or some other kind of water spirit and never thinks of the kelpie.
- After people keep washing up on shore the authorities start investigating one character who swears up and down they are innocent. Someone comes forward with evidence—a video of the kelpie drowning someone but the video is quickly dismissed as a hoax. But it isn’t.
- The world knows that magical creatures exist and humans live in peace with them, but only because all those with malicious natures were hunted down a long time ago. But there is one creature that nobody has known for sure if it really went extinct and maybe it’s because it’s as elusive as Nessie (a source I read said that the Lock Ness monster might have a relation to the kelpie so that’s kind of along the lines that I was thinking with this one).
- According to some regional folklore the creature can sometimes take on the shape of a horse with wings. What if one of these tried to pass it’s self off as a regular and harmless winged horse that everyone loves?