an easy guide to musical theater songs
If the title…
1. has an ordinary everyday object in it, it’s not really about that object
See: Ring of Keys, To Break in a Glove
2. is an infinitive phrase (has a word ending with -ing), it’s the character’s life philosophy song. It will be quoted again later to show Character Growth™.
See: Dancing Through Life, Waving Through a Window
3. is an imperative phrase (giving a command), someone’s a) at serious risk of dying or b) being seduced
See: Bring Him Home, Stay Alive, Say No to This, Light My Candle, Touch Me
4. contains (reprise), someone’s dying. Maybe they’re already dead. Bring tissues.
See: Stay Alive (reprise), I’ll Cover You (reprise)
5. has “sky” in its title, it’s overused as an audition song
See: Giants in the Sky, Corner of the Sky