my toy photography

College, I get it. You’re important and all that..but can you please stop assigning me buttloads of essays and assignments that won’t help me in my animation career and just let me finish one of my animations for once? (╥﹏╥)

10

The second of two photosets I did to express my own feelings following the events of this past weekend (the first set and writeup is here). I won’t retread what I already wrote, but I will continue to call for love and support for all your fellow people that have been effected by this, and the actions and systems that have led up to it.

Stand strong. Stand together. Stand up against oppression and subjugation.

Love to you all.

Bearded Steeb’s head

A summary of Not So Tiny Bearded Steeb’s head:

The Captain America unmasked heads that I own. Surprisingly the one with the least wonky eyes is the one I paid full price for. The other two were bought at Toyfairs. I chose to use the last head because damn are those eyes not painted right.

I have doubles of Steve in his Civil War suit (the reason I decided to do this custom in the first place.) I ended up using Not So Tiny Injured Steeb just because his suit is slightly lighter than the none “battle damaged” version and I like the darker version. While he is harder to get (being part of a three pack) I bought him for less at a Toyfair. 

I cut off the front of the fringe as it sticks out too much. After removing the paint with nail polish remover (I do have proper acetone but I find the nail polish remover is not as harsh and it works well enough on removing the paint on faces) I scrubbed the head clean and sculpted on it using the Tamiya Quick Dry Type Epoxy Putty. I learned the hard way NOT to use it when my heater is on as it becomes a sticky mess. I have used Aves Apoxie but I find the Tamiya Putty sticks to plastic easier and isn’t as fiddly once you get the hang of it. It also doesn’t sink down as easily. To sculpt I used a small awl. Some people use toothpicks but I find they go too blunt too quickly when I use them. 

Sculpting the hair was a challenge as I’m not very good at figuring out how short hair falls. 

Comparing the before and after. 

I realized one side of the hair was bigger than the other so I added more volume to even it up.

Late night painting the skin.

Mixing up the skin tone was a pain but eventually I just settled on one. Then began the challenge of painting eyes. 

I decided to have the eyes look slightly up so that Bearded Stee would forever be glaring up at people from under his brows.

Painting the hair was very annoying. This was just the base coat.

I attempted to dry brush the hair and added some colour to the lips as well as very, very lightly adding some shading to the cheekbones, under the eyes and in the brow furrows. Honestly he’s so tiny you can only really see them right up close but I will know it’s there.