I am currently reading My Mother Wears Combat Boots by Jessica Mills and I came across a recipe for nursing bars that I thought I would share. It contains oats, which are great for improving milk production and they can also be a pick-me-up snack, or a snack for older children.
1. Lightly toast 4 cups oats and 1 cup sunflower seeds. It is okay not to toast the oats and seeds, but toasting them brings out their flavour nicely.
2. Mix together with 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 4 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 cups raisins.*
3. Blend ¼ cup of flaxseeds with ¾ cup water until gooey.
4. Mix with 1 cup safflower oil (Or another lite oil like canola), 1 ½ cup of honey**, ½ cup water, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
5. Mix the wet stuff into the dry stuff.
6. Drop ½ cup sizes onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
I will definitely be making these when it comes time to feed the little monster:].
*You can also do 1 cup raisins, 1-2 cups of another dried fruit cut to raisin size
** You can substitute with rice or barley malt and still get decent results.