You gotta stay hungry. It’s all over for you the moment you don’t. And in my job, it’s also about exploring yourself. Films are an incredible medium where you get to talk to people. I have these great fans, they write me everyday, telling me about their lives getting better from watching my movies. To me that’s more important than anything else. And as a man in the world, you have to leave something behind, if not what the hell am I doing while I’m here?
The things you find…Hugh Dancy as part of a 2004 round up of “Bright Young Things” for BAFTA.
Most famous for Black Hawk Down Soon to be seen in The Sleeping Dictionary
Favourite film ’Duck Soup’ – you can’t beat the Marx Brothers. Best moment Filming The Sleeping Dictionary in Borneo. I had the time of my life. Worst moment The first time I met Lucy Punch [see right] on set. I was playing Kyle, the Orphan Warrior, in The New Adventures of Robin Hood – a terrible series. The worst moment is perhaps encapsulated in one of my lines: “The orphanage! It’s on fire!"
Some of my favourite moments from Call Me by Your Name (the film):
1. Elio sneaking into Oliver’s room to sniff his shorts. He puts the shorts on his head and inhales the crotch like he’s taking his last breath on this earth. You’d think this scene would be played for laughs but Timothée is dead serious. He gets on all fours and sticks his ass in the air and you know exactly what he’s thinking. IT’S SO HOT HELP
2. When Elio and Oliver change into their bathing suits and we see both their asses. Incredible.
3. Dancing to The Psychedelic Furs. Oliver is an 80s god on the dance floor. Just when you think this scene can’t get any better, Elio busts out his own little moves and completely steals the show! Bless.
4. Elio shaving his non-existent mustache before dinner and then Oliver doesn’t bother to show up! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
5. Mrs. Perlman saying Vimini’s line about Oliver liking Elio. Nice work, Mrs. P!
6. Elio licking Oliver’s mouth the very first time they kiss. TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET WHAT ARE YOU?
7. When Elio gets the nosebleed Oliver massages his feet to make him feel better. He’s pretty rough so Elio moans (!!!) and grabs his shoulder. Then he starts caressing Oliver’s neck. THEN OLIVER KISSES THE TOP OF ELIO’S FOOT. Play this at my funeral.
8. Marzia laughing hysterically at Elio when they have sex and he comes too soon. DRAG HIM.
9. André Aciman and Peter Spears’ cameo as the gay couple from Chicago. I want to hug everyone in this scene!
10. Elio and Oliver kissing before they have sex for the first time. Nothing could have prepared me for this. Elio throws his body at Oliver and climbs him like a fucking tree. OUR SON IS AN ANIMAL
11. When Elio cries during the peach scene and Oliver holds him. The purest thing I will ever know in this life.
12. Winter Elio wears a beret! Why wasn’t I told!?
13. When they speak on the phone during Christmas and Oliver tells him that he’s getting married. Elio calls Oliver by his name over and over until your heart aches, “Elio, Elio, Elio.” Oliver then calls Elio by his name once, “Oliver,” and it destroyed me.
During a meeting.. UHH a random fake Kingsman doujin I doodled.. I was inspired by that interview I saw, don’t remember which one it was but Taron said one of his favourite moments when filming was when he turned on Snapchat and took a photo of Colin with the puppy dog filter. I’ve always wanted to make a gay Kingsman doujin but will anybody even reaD iT. BTW I’m still selling the Hartwin charms on my store (snotprince.tictail.com) thanks for the support so far !!
A YouTuber AU SnowBaz fanfic for the Carry On Countdown
Simon Snow’s first YouTube video is one of my
favourites. It’s as painfully awkward as
any other YouTuber’s first video. He
sits up too straight in his chair, he smiles and laughs too mechanically, and
the film quality itself is poor, with half of his words lost to shoddy editing.
Yet despite all this, it’s adorable.
of course, it’s the origin of the biggest OTP on YouTube, SnowBaz.
guys,” Simon waves at the camera, his hand going all pixelated at the
movement. “Welcome to the first video on
my channel!” He’s inserted a sound
effect of people cheering. I have to
laugh. It’s so damn cringe-worthy.
goes on for a few moments, trying to make jokes and jump-cuts that work, when finally,
it’s everyone’s favourite part.
are you doing, Snow?” comes a voice from off-camera. My heart turns to mush.
new flatmate, or at least he was new at this point.
my first YouTube video,” Simon grins up at someone behind the camera. “Come say hi!”
the censor sounds old, like it was stolen from the year 2007.
looks a bit panicked, like he’s realizing that he’ll have to edit out the swear
word. A door slams somewhere out of the
my new flatmate,” he tells us. “His name
is Baz. He’s kind of a prat.”
you wait,” I whisper at my computer screen.
“Just you wait.”
and Baz do not get along. At all.
much is clear from the first video, but it become increasingly obvious as Simon
posts more frequently. He often films in
the living room, which drives Baz insane.
don’t you film in your own room?” he says, audibly annoyed.
lighting in there is terrible,” Simon protests.
I’d like to be able to walk around my own flat, if you don’t mind.”
ahead, no one’s stopping you,” Simon shrugs.
“Besides, the viewers keep saying they want to see you.”
old Baz. Sarcastic and full of
himself. They don’t appear to realize
it, but the two of them balance each other out perfectly.
by little, Baz begins to make his mark on Simon’s channel. At first we only hear him from off-screen,
offering his two bits about nearly everything Simon has to say. Many of his comments are admittedly quite
mean and uncalled for, but Simon never edits them out. Baz is the invisible heckler. Viewers begin to latch onto this weird relationship
of apparent hatred and, as YouTube viewers are wont to do, turn it into a new
ship. “SnowBaz” they call it, and before
long the comment sections on all of Simon’s videos are full of things like “I
ship it” and “OTP”.
not to fall victim to this shipping trend myself. It feels insensitive to me, shipping real
live people that I’ve never even met like they’re objects of sorts. But even I can’t deny that the two of them
would be cute together. Provided they
stop hating each other.
Baz appears onscreen for the first time.
on the couch in the background, facing away from the camera. All we can see is long black hair. He only moves when he’s shouting ridicule at
Simon’s words. Once he turns his head
further to make himself heard, and we catch a glimpse of the light brown skin
of his face. This time the comments are
all “is that Baz?” and “OMG BAZ”.
that he starts to appear more often.
Sometimes he’s facing the screen, looking down at his phone or a
book. He’s tall, and his hair reaches
his shoulders. The expression on his
face goes between concentration and a sneer, that latter of which he reserves
for his heckling. It doesn’t take long
for people to start commenting on how attractive he is. Still Simon leaves all the footage of Baz in
his videos, not hiding a single rude comment from his viewers.
Simon tries to get Baz to join him for a “meet my flatmate” video. Baz responds simply by flipping Simon off in
the background, which Simon has to pixel out.
He’s gotten better at editing at this point.
Simon posts daily vlogs on days when he does things that he considers
exciting. The things that Simon finds
exciting are too cute for words. They
tend to be little events like going to a coffee shop, things that are almost
mundane but for some reason they excite him.
He does this thing where he dances when he’s excited. He’ll bob his head cheerfully as he walks,
glad to just be out. He’s gone to the
grocery store with Baz a few times in his vlogs. Those videos are some of the best ones. They bicker about everything from which kind
of milk to get to who gets to carry the baskets. Sometimes we can see Baz’s mouth quirk like
he’s trying not to laugh, like all this bickering is just a game for him. Of course, this sends the SnowBaz shippers
into a frenzy, the idea that maybe, just maybe, Baz doesn’t hate Simon as much
as he lets on.
there’s one video on Simon’s channel that is the absolute bread of life for
anyone who ships the two of them. Simon
is doing a Q&A, and as usual Baz is sitting and reading in the background.
question is from Twitter,” Simon says, reading off of his phone. “They ask ‘Are you in love with anyone right
if you look closely, you can see Baz go rigid.
Simon leans in close to the camera, “I have been messaging with someone quite a
lot. I don’t know who the person is, but
we’ve gotten really close and I’m starting to think -”
you keep it down, Snow,” Baz pipes up, his voice tight. “I’m trying to read over here.”
doesn’t speak of it any further, but Baz sneaks glances at the back of Simon’s
head more than once before the video is over.
I don’t know how Simon could have not noticed it. Certainly every single one of his viewers
did, which is to say over a million people.
Perhaps love is completely daft.
I arrive home from work on a particularly rainy day in October, I am delighted
to open my computer and find that Simon is in the middle of a livestream. Comments flow constantly from the sidebar and
I settle in to join the party. He’s in a
different room this time, one with a neatly made bed on which he sits, and I
gather that it’s his room. It looks so
clean, but I wonder if there’s a disaster hiding behind the camera.
leans towards us like he’s trying to read all of the comments and questions as
they flood in. He gets a lot of I love you’s and he grins in response,
trying to return as many of them as possible.
got to go soon,” he tells us and I sigh in disappointment, “but I’ll answer a
few more questions first.” He’s quiet
for a minute as all the viewers catch up with the stream. “Here’s one: ‘Did you find out who was
messaging you so much?’” He pauses
before answering. “Funny you should ask,
because yes, I did, and that’s a perfect segway into what I wanted to talk
about.” He shifts on his bed. “I have a bit of an announcement -”
door opens behind him, and Baz in all his glory appears in it.
start flying in of “BAZ” and “OMG”
are you doing?” Baz asks without a hint of a sneer in his voice.
filming a live show,” Simon tells him.
He seems… nervous?
live show, eh?” Baz strolls over and –
wonder of wonders – sits down on the bed next to Simon. We’ve never seen him this close to the
camera, and his eyes are this lovely mix of gray and green.
also never seen him this close to Simon before.
heart kicks up a notch. I’ve fallen down
the slippery slope and now there’s no denying that I ship it completely. I grab a pillow to hold to my chest and go
into fangirl-mode, overanalysing every inch of their proximity. With a click I maximize the screen, blocking
the other comments from my view. I want
to see every pixel of this.
was just going to make that little announcement,” Simon says, staring at his
hands in his lap.
Baz nods, apparently understanding. “Go
on, then. Carry on, Simon.”
Did he just call him Simon?
He never calls him Simon!
“I can’t do it if
you’re here!” Simon protests.
gives a shrug. “Then I’ll tell them.”
takes Simon by the collar and kisses him.
scream into my pillow.
and Baz are kissing, right now, in front of millions of people.
practically hear the collective aneurism that the fangirls are currently
still kissing, and Simon is grinning against Baz’s mouth. It’s the most genuine smile he’s ever graced
the internet with, and it’s not even for us.
tearing up, I’m so happy for them.
lets Simon go and turns to smirk at the camera.
“That one’s for all you SnowBaz shippers out there. Don’t think we don’t know.” He winks.
He fucking winks.
then he leaves.
turns back to the camera, his cheeks red and his lips puffy. He grins sheepishly.
yeah,” he stammers, “that’s what I was gonna tell you about.”
Hello there, I just have to say I love your writing so much. I think you’re amazing, I was wondering if I could make a Tom Holland x Reader request? Where reader and Tom are dating but it’s like been for a month or so and reader is short and always has trouble reaching things and doing things. (I’m 4'10 so my short problems are real) and Tom just laughs but does help and keeps reminding reader how much he loves how short she is? I just really need some fluff at the moment :)
“Tommy? Come grab this for me, please?” you ask your boyfriend while standing on your tiptoes, pointing at the baking sheet on the top shelf. You’re baking cookies for Harrison because he just got cast in a short film. The celebration is in an hour and you really want to make him his favourite biscuits before you went. Tom steps forward and wraps one arm around your waist, his hand making contact with your uncovered midriff. You stop reaching towards the cupboard and choose to hug his arm against your body. His other arm reaches out and grabs the baking sheet before handing it to you. “Here you go, sweetness,” he whispers into your hair before stepping back. He retreats back to the couch, but not without pinching your bum first. You swat his hand away.
God, he thinks as he backs away while watching you, I love you.
“Babe! Where’d you put the movie?” you called out to Tom. “On the shelf above the TV!” he shouts back from the bedroom. You reach up to grab it but find yourself unable. Instead of struggling, you opt to grab a tall stool from the kitchen counter and to kneel on that. Tom walks in to see you standing on a wooden stool with your arm raised holding the movie out to him. He sighs happily at the sight before choosing to carry you off the stool to the couch. You squeal with laughter when he picks you up. He tosses you onto the cushioned couch and leans to kiss your forehead. Yup, you think as you pull him into a kiss, I definitely love this guy.
From that first day, you swear that Tom repeatedly places everything high up so you can’t reach. Your tea mugs have gradually moved from the lowest shelf to the second highest, the cereal lives on top of the fridge instead of on the counter beside it. Everything has moved so you can’t grab anything, and now you’re having family over for dinner. Your families are coming at quarter to six so you have to set the table while dinner is cooking.
The plates are on the highest shelf above your mugs. With a huff, you pull yourself up onto the counter. Kneeling there you can reach the plates. You hear a snort of laughter from behind you and you turn to see your boyfriend leaning in the doorway. “Not funny,” you mumble. He strolls over to place his hands either side of your knees. He laughs breathily and rests his forehead against the small of your back. “It’s kinda funny,” he tells you. “Well, you can laugh as you’re carrying plates.” “Can do, shortie.”
Your foot gently kicks his butt as he walks away and he can’t help but chuckle as he hears a muffled “Arsehole”.
“(Y/N)?” Harrison calls as he walks through the front door of your and Tom’s apartment. “In here!” you yell back from the living room. He walks in to see you standing on the back of the couch trying to grab something from above the doorway opposite you. The doorways in your apartment with Tom were obnoxiously tall which means you can’t reach, even will a chair underneath your feet. “Oy, get down from there! Tom will kill me if I was here when you broke your neck from falling,” he scolds. “He’s the one making me do it! He put my fucking keys on top of the doorframe!” At this, Harrison doubles over in laughter.
“I’d understand why,” he says, chuckling. “Why?” you ask. He snorts before replying cheekily, “well, I do have a really good view of your arse from here. It’s definitely not a bad sight.” That gets him a pillow chucked at his face.
I’m totally getting Tom back for this, you think with a smile on your face.
“Tom, this needs to stop. I can’t do anything around our house without getting on my tiptoes,” you berate Tom when he walks through the door. “I don’t see what the problem is,” he replies cheekily. “How’d you end up getting your keys?” At this comment, Harrison walks out from behind you into the hallway. Tom doubles over in laughter, “YOU CALLED HARRISON!” he shrieks amused. “Yeah, and apparently I have a nice arse,” you say and wink at Harrison. With that comment, Tom’s laughter dies and he begins to glare at his best friend. You turn to Harrison and get on your tiptoes to kiss his cheek. “Thanks, Haz. You were a big help, today.” Let’s just say Tom was a bit mad at the both of you for a few days.
You’ve gotten used to the height of everything by now. You’ve mastered counter climbing as well as chair mounting. Tom can’t help but smile lovingly when he sees your daily conquests to get a tea mug or the cereal box. He likes to watch when you stand on a stool and reach up because his large t-shirts you sleep in ride up your thigh. When you go to grab your jacket from the back of the front door, you instinctively kick your leg up. He doesn’t think he has seen anything better, though, than when you stand on his feet on your tiptoes just to lay a loving kiss to his lips.
“Babe,” he says finally. It’s a Sunday morning and you’re both in lying bed. You hum to acknowledge him. “I love you,” he whispers into your hair, “so, so much.” “I love you too, superhero.”
I love you more, he thinks.
“No, you don’t,” you tell him, still facing away from him.
“What?” he questions.
You turn to face him and snuggle into the pillow before grabbing his hand and wrapping it around your waist.“I can tell right there you were thinking ‘Oh I love you more, though’. But you don’t. It’s a fact.”
He giggles and tells you, “But I do, though. I love you to infinity.”
“Yeah?” You ask.
“Yeah,” he tells you sincerely; a loving look in his eyes.
When you say, “Well, I love you infinity plus two.” He can’t help but laugh.
Now that I’ve processed everything, re-read my favourite passages and cried a billion times I’ve finally been able to put my favourite moments from the film and my favourite differences from the book into a coherent list instead of an endless, emotional ramble.
It’s quite a lot…
1. Timothée IS Elio. It’s been said a thousand times before but Elio is alive in this film and I truly, for the first time ever, felt like I was actually watching the boy I’ve been reading about right in front of my eyes. It’s so easy to see why Oliver falls in love with him because Timothée does such a good job of pulling every bit of Elio’s personality, his sensuality, his sexuality and giving it to us full-force throughout every moment he’s on screen. He truly shines and I was blown away, I’m still not over his performance.
2. It’s a stunning film. The cinematography is outstanding. Every shot could be a painting.
3. The resolution of Marzia’s story. It was everything I wanted and if, like me, you felt it was missing from the book - the film does a great job in very little time of resolving this.
4. Mr and Mrs Perlman. I don’t have to say any more. They’re brilliant… and the choice to give Mrs Perlman some of Vimini’s lines made me so, so happy.
(Under a cut because it’s going to get a bit spoilery…)
Summary: a best friends to lovers fic based off the prompts, “we always share blankets on the couch, I’m sure sharing the bed for the night is fine too,” and, “your lips are getting really close to mine.”
Warnings: there’s a touch of swearing here and there!
Word count: 3.2k
A/N: clichés are a personal favourite. I hope you like this! :)
When you’d left to visit a newly opened diner with your best friend, Stiles, it wasn’t raining. In fact, the sky was such a clear amber colour that you were convinced you’d be able to see the stars when evening broke. By the time you were leaving the diner, however, you were shown to have made a grave assumption.
“It’s pouring, Stiles,” you said dryly, peering out the diner windows. Stiles was beside you, zipping up the front of his hoodie.
“Well done for stating the obvious, Y/N,” Stiles teased, causing you to groan in frustration. You hadn’t had the sense to bring a hoodie; instead you were wearing a thin shirt and a pair of jeans. One look outside at the sheets of rain cascading from the sky was enough to make you regret your decision completely.
“We’ll need to run,” you murmured, wishing one of you had had the sense to bring a car.
Stiles snorted, shaking his head. “I’d rather not. The rain is fun, Y/N! Loosen up a little,” you gave him an unimpressed look, reaching out to push his shoulder playfully.
“That’s easy for you to say - you have a hood!” Stiles grinned at this, nodding gleefully as he flicked the hood over his head.
“We should leave, I think the waiter’s getting impatient,” Stiles said, gesturing to where your waiter was lingering beside a couple who were clearly after your booth.
Humming in agreement, you followed Stiles towards the bar where you’d been instructed to pay. “How much was it?” You queried, not remembering the sum printed on the receipt.
Stiles waved his hand, digging in his jeans for his wallet. He pulled it out a moment later, nimble fingers pulling out a few notes with a flourish. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll pay.”
“Stiles-” you tried to interject, only to be on the receiving end from one of his infamous glares.
“Y/N, this was my idea! Let me pay for you. Please,” one glance at the earnest expression on your best friend’s face and you gave in, knowing his stubborn nature to be a force to be reckoned with.
“Fine,” you grumbled, waiting beside him as Stiles settled the tab.
Once the money was exchanged, Stiles linked your arms together and pulled you towards the door. You groaned, the icy rain outside looking the opposite of inviting. Stiles spoke up, giving your arm a squeeze, “we’ve got to face it eventually, may as well do it now. Besides, my house is only a five minute walk away.”
“Let’s do it,” you agreed, figuring it made more sense to get it over with.
To say the rain was heavy was an understatement: the moment you stepped outside, raindrops were splashing all over your body, coating you from head to toe. You shrieked, speeding up considerably. Still attached to Stiles, the both of you began to speed walk in the direction of his house, the rain making the journey slightly difficult.
By the time you stumbled into Stiles’ porch, you were completely soaked through.
This is one of my favourite moments in Beyond (okay, there’s loads of moments, the majority of the film is a moment but I digress).
Firstly, the last scene we saw with Spock and McCoy was before night fell.
The went into a cavern thing to explore and Spock promptly fell to the floor. And we don’t see these two again until now.
It’s daytime again. We’re taken into the scene by Mccoy calling Spock’s name. He’s clearly very concerned about the condition Spock is in. He can’t rouse Spock by calling his name and we can assume that he has been unconscious some time by now.
So knowing that he can’t keep yelling at him, and maybe he’s already tried shaking Spock awake because McCoy purposely places his hands on Spock’s face. It seems very deliberate the way he places his hands on both sides of Spock’s face like that.
And it does what he wants, Spock wakes, unfocused and unclear, but….
you can see the second he realises where he is and what’s happening.
He doesn’t just look like he’s just remembered what happened, he looks quite alarmed (for an emotion repressing Vulcan anyway). And McCoy is making skin to skin contact so goodness knows what he’s getting from McCoy. It’s clear enough that Spock can’t have been clear headed enough to be blocking anything.
And as soon as he gets himself together, he actively removes McCoy’s hand from his face.
The one that Spock doesn’t remove lingers. Maybe the transference of emotions goes both ways and McCoy gets a glimpse into the emotional pit that is inside of Spock and isn’t quite prepared to just let go of that. But he does as Spock assures him that he’s fine.
A few of my favourite moments in Call Me By Your name:
- “You’ll Kill me if you stop” Elio bites his bloody napkin and stares at Oliver with such intensity and desire.
- Elio’s attempt at pretending to transcribe music by the pool when really he waits for Oliver to look away so he can stare at His apricocè through black sunglasses.
- Both Elio and Olivers’ attempts to touch eachother even in the slightest way.. adorable.
- Elio being the cheeky 17 year old he is, trying to get as close to Oliver’s body and face as he can every second he gets the chance.
i.e all the damn time
- Footsies under the table
- And how can we forget this
- And this
- Non vi sembra ineducato come dice “Later… ?” Arrogante?
- “Traitor…. Traitor!!”.
- The flirtatious nature of Elio as he plays Bach in 3 different ways just to push olivers buttons with the most smug look on his face with every version played.
- Elio falling into Olivers chest.. time and time again
I think as humans we crave the fire and intensity that Elio and Oliver experience. I find myself extremely overwhlemed by how immersed and enveloped I felt in this story. It was almost as if i was actively apart of their little world. Purity, love, desire. Lust and most of all the adrenaline that comes with such new and foreign feelings. i think this really allows the audience to experience something that is outside of themselves, exogenously, but still feel interwoven, engaged and most of all magically moved by the story as I am, all at the same time. I am still and honeslty will always be personally affected in a different way everytime i watch this movie, swoon ! Im finding it very hard to believe that a day will go by where I do not think about this story. It has left an eternal mark on me as i am utterly dumbfounded time and time again, as i find myself searching for the correct words. I find myself constantly searching for ways to live with such profound honesty and pure intensity that Oliver and Elio both did together that one hot Italian summer.
This fleeting little scene in Through Heaven’s Eyes is one of my favourite little Moses moments in the film. It shows that deep down, Moses really was one of the most giving and loving people in the film, willing to open his heart to anyone regardless of age. As we see later in “When You Believe” as well, he really seems to love kids, and they too are drawn to him because of his good nature and open heart.
Also the fact that he’s seen here juggling fruit goes to show that while he has matured from the spoiled brat irresponsible, impulsive person he had been, he has not lost his playful nature. This teaches viewers that while one day they will mature into responsible adults, that does not mean they cannot keep their compassion, love, and playfulness. After all, as the old adage goes, “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” Adults need play just as much as children do (just for different reasons, obviously), and I love that Prince of Egypt has this lesson as well.
Moses has grown up, but we can still recognise him as the Moses we met at the beginning of the film. He has lost his irresponsible and reckless habits of teenhood, but retained his innate love, compassion, and ability to just relax and be playful, especially with other children.
(spoiler free unless you don’t want to know ANYTHING)
- I’m about to do what I disliked about other reviews, say who I thought was best in the film….sorry other cast members!
- Richie/Finn: Oh my god, Richie was fucking hilarious. I laughed so much, along with the whole theatre. He definitely stole the show, Finn is so talented. Its been a day and I’m still laughing at his lines when they come into my head. His sense of humour has become a lot less offensive and a hell of a lot funnier. It feels like Richie had the most screen time and some of the other Losers suffered due to it, but I just can’t imagine cutting any of his scenes or lines
- Ben/Jeremy: I love Jeremy, but I didn’t expect to enjoy his performance as much as I did. He and Richie were my favourite losers in this film (even though Eddie and Mike were my favourite in the book) and I don’t understand why more reviews aren’t calling out Jeremy for an excellent performance like they are for Finn and Sophia. His introduction scene is probably one of my three favourite in the whole movie- another hilarious scene but it had such heart behind it and Jeremy was just brilliant, as was Sophia
- Bev/Sophia was also excellent. Bev is a really enjoyable character in this movie, she is a love interest and the film avoids making her a sexy lamp or a plot device by really adding to her character and giving her some strong individual scenes. She’s definitely romanticized but she definitely is a lot more than a love interest. There is one scene with the whole ‘everyone is in love with Bev’ schtick but it was funny enough that I didn’t mind. I think the film also avoided the damsel in distress trope pretty well. Bev is a really interesting, well defined character and Sophia did a great job!
- I don’t have much to say about the others but they were all great! Great performances from all, they just didn’t stand out as much as those three
- I really enjoyed the Losers Club and their dynamic as a team and as a friendship. I wish we had gotten just a little more scenes like the swimming one, where they are just having fun (after all, they played games in between fighting IT in the novel) but it was pretty clear that the film was cramped for time…
- the film did feel at times like it was rushing through a checklist of scenes that it had to get through, to set up the plot or characters. The film lacked some stuff (particular losers suffered from a lack of screen time, see next point) Maybe this sounds odd considering IT has such a long runtime, but I got the impression they struggled with actually narrowing it down to that time. They definitely cut a few scenes, one pretty important one that was seen in multiple trailers (I was disappointed to see it go and I’m definitely not gonna be the only one). There was one sequence where it suddenly jumped to a different person nearby and I don’t know whether they cut a scene in between or edited it poorly but I still don’t know how they got there or what they were doing or where they actually were? It’s hard to explain without spoiling but yeah, that scene confused me
- Stan and Mike, particularly Mike, definitely didn’t get enough screen time. Stan probably had more actual screen time then Ben but Ben just felt more present, since he had more importance in the story and an important relationship with Bev. Stan was one of the original 4 losers but he had the least dialogue out of all of them and its a shame, Wyatt is really talented and I would have liked to have seen more. I can tell Stan was the victim of a few cut scenes. I also feel pretty sorry for poor Chosen as Mike, who was under-utilized and just…. joined the losers. There was no scene of him getting to know them, no bonding scene for the whole seven. He just joined the Losers and went with them to kill IT. He did have his own character arch, which I enjoyed but he still had the least screen time, which is unfortunate, especially considering how important he is in the sequel
- As for the horror, I wasn’t scared during the trailers and I wasn’t scared during the film (horror films just never feel real enough to genuinely scare me) The audience members did react to the film positively, to the jokes and to the scares. Personally, I thought the horror was a little lazy because (KIND OF SPOILER) nearly every scare was a jump-scare. It was effective but I guess I just expected more. My favourite scary scenes included the first group trip to Neibolt Trip (probably another one of my favourite overall scenes) and the projector scene
- As for the couples, I’m trying not to be biased here but I think people who exclusively ship Bill/Bev after the trailers might just be swayed by Benverly who have some brilliant scenes, their dynamic is great and I can think of one small, hilarious moment they shared which really stood out. They didn’t have any moments in the trailer but they had plenty in the film. A combination of the two really talented actors and a great dynamic made it the superior couple in my mind (then again, I always preferred it to Bill/Bev. To be fair, they had a good dynamic and Jaeden is obviously also very talented! I’m not a fan of the love triangle in media but I could stomach this one.
As for my other IT ship, Reddie did not disappoint. The banter that we saw in the MTV grey water scene was a gift that kept on giving. We also saw a couple moments which showed the genuine closeness between them (one adorable shot made me want to write a fluffy AU immediately, certain scenes in Neibolt Street made me feel very angsty). I don’t mean to overhype this, they definitely aren’t ‘canon’ and I don’t believe their scenes become so overt it nears queerbaiting, just a well written dynamic which is pretty damn shippable. Also Richie/Bill and Richie/Stan shippers will have some moments to enjoy!
- The movie strays from the book quite a lot, I personally didn’t mind but if you’re a book purist then prepare yourself
- I know I did mention a few negative things but overall I really enjoyed the film! I recommend it completely, I had a great time and I can’t wait for everyone else to see it