Listen, I get that there are some issues with Andromeda. The first few hours of the game really feel like they’re trying to find their footing, which isn’t hard to understand - it must have been really hard and stressful to create a game that measures up to the trilogy.
But I’m really sick of the constant posts shitting all over the game and I’ve talked to lots of people who feel the same. It seems like a lot of people are worried about posting anything positive at all for fear or retribution.
So here, have a nice happy post about some of the AMAZING things about this game, which in my opinion totally holds up as a new addition to the series.
Awesome hair animation. I’m totally in love with how natural the hair looks. It moves around, looks great, and flows naturally.
The dialogue system. This is probably the first time in a video game that I actually feel like I can develop my own personality and have a truly unique OC. Plus, you can develop different relationships with different characters, which truly makes you feel invested in the world.
The side quests. There are some fetch quests, sure, but I’ve never found them to be boring. They’re always grounded in a story. I find the quests to be meaningful and interesting and engaging.
SQUAD MATES! This might be the first game where I absolutely adore every single person on your crew. The characters feel real and they all experience really touching character growth over the course of the game.
FRIEND DATES!! Maybe my favourite detail that’s been added to this - the nice outings you get with your squad after you earn their loyalty. Every single one was so touching and I treasure those moments.
ALIEN SEX okay so I’m obviously biased on that one…
Beautiful landscapes. I’ve come across some small landscape bugs, but in general each world feels unique and realistic. I love parking the Nomad on top of a hill and just admiring the scenery.
THE NOMAD BANTER! They absolutely nailed the banter in this game, I’ve teared up a few times while listening. I love it when squadmates can help each other with things that you can’t because they have different experiences than you. It feels realistic and wonderful.
Truly touching moments. I don’t want to say more for fear of spoiling anything, but I’ve cried so much at this game.
RYDER. Holy lord in heaven I love Ryder. They’re so well-written and totally hold their own against Shepard. They experience character development over the course of the game, the voice acting is fantastic, and basically I just really love Ryder holy shit
Please feel free to add your own, I really love this game and I’d love to see more people focusing on the things that make it so incredible.
Also if you see this and absolutely need to be negative, please keep it far away and make your own post. I understand that people have complaints, but I’m 150% done with hearing about them.
ihatethecoldpeace said: 1.How did you create Julian? He’s my favourite character, and I’d really wanna know how did you create his personality and weaknesses. And how not to cry every time you think about him.
It’s hard to separate out Julian’s creation process from that of the whole Blackthorn family. I knew I wanted to write about a big family with lots of siblings, and I figured out early on that Julian was going to be the one in charge. But I also knew that I wanted Julian to have other things going on as well—his art, his feelings for Emma, the ruthless streak when it comes to protecting the people he loves. I see Julian as an example of someone who has dealt with extremely adverse circumstances in ways that were pretty effective, especially considering how young he was when he took charge. But part of the plot of TDA is that no one can manage everything, no matter how skilled they are at scheming and manipulation. The situation that the Blackthorns were in was precarious and unsustainable. Eventually something was going to give. That loss of control was not an accident—I always knew it would happen, and that it would be formative to how Julian (and all the other characters) continue to grow and learn and change, which you’ll get to read about in Queen of Air and Darkness.
There is also a general rule of mine I often try to put into play when creating characters: say you have to pick one overall word to describe your character. They seem in general to be kind, fun-loving, angry, caretaking, etc. So most of the things you know about them, from their habits to their interactions with others, will lean in that same direction as their major characteristic. In Julian’s case it was caretaking: making pancakes, being generally gentle, artistic, loving, baby-cuddling, etc. (It was part of gender-flipping Emma and Julian, making her the revenge-seeking warrior and him the nurturer.) Then he has this one other major characteristic that we find out about as we get to know him, which is this fairly intense ruthlessness when it comes to protecting his family. That characteristic cuts against the grain of the others, complicating his character — and we all know complicated characters are the most fun and interesting, right? :) I try to do the same work with most major characters, and I usually break it down as an exercise before I even start writing them. It’s a reminder that real people often have directly oppositional personality aspects, and so should characters, and that what we love most about them is often exactly that space where the opposing parts of their personality meet (Magnus is fun-loving and freewheeling — but also deeply serious, wise, stable, and cynical.)
This is a post that most likely no one cares about since I shitpost whatever I’m into but I wanna get my thoughts about the podcasts I listen to regularly and what I feel about them.
Welcome to Night Vale - This is the one that got me into podcasts although it scared me at first. I managed to listen to 60 episodes in almost a week so I was pretty hooked. This is about a friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful and mysterious lights pass while we all pretend to sleep. It’s set in a H P Lovecraft style of world where the scariest of things are seen as the most normal of things. Things change when a beautiful stranger comes to town but you’ll fall in love instantly. Episodes come out the 1st and 15th of each month
Alice Isn’t Dead - This is done by the same company that does Night Vale and it’s a lot darker and creepier. It is about a truck driver who drives around the country trying to find her wife Alice while discovering things about the towns she goes past. A warning if you don’t deal with gore or violence very well (also spoilers) someone does get murdered in the first episode and the main character does get attacked in a later episode. This show is only done by Joseph Fink and his style is a little scary at times but it’s still good. I recommend binge listening to the first season before the second one comes out because it’s a little easier to keep up with the story that way. I prefer Night Vale over Alice but that’s just a personal opinion. Episodes will continue when the next season starts.
Wolf 359 - This is one of my favourite podcasts I have ever listened to. Written by Gabriel Urbina, it’s about Doug Eiffel’s life on the Hephaestus Research Station as they orbit the red dwarf star Wolf 359. This a podcast you’ll want more of and you’ll want to know every single plot twist and theory. The characters are loveable and it just makes me really happy. Renee Minkowski is the station’s commander and she makes sure that her boys stay in check (mostly Eiffel). Dr. Hilbert is honestly a little creepy but you can’t hate him and HERA is my computer wife. Every storyline is great and will only keep you guessing. The website also has other cool stuff such as playlists for the characters which are on spotify and there are small little things that are fantastic. The early seasons are very lighthearted and Zach Valenti (@iamzachvalenti) voices both Doug and Hilbert and it’s just fantastic to listen to. Episodes come out every two weeks.
Limetown - Limetown is very different compared to the other podcasts. It’s a news report that follows a reporter, Lia Haddock, as she tries to find out what happened to an entire town of people that just vanished into thin air. The length of the episodes span under 10 minutes to nearly an hour. It’s interesting but Lia is kinda annoying with her methods of obtaining the information she desires but her intentions are in the right place, despite her actions getting innocent people hurt. The podcast kinda stopped in December last year so it’s real easy to listen to but you will want more which is disappointing since you want to know what happens in the next season. It takes a very realistic turn of events so who knows when the next season comes out. If you like realistic podcasts then this is the one for you
The Bright Sessions - Another personal favourite of mine and I no joke want more right now. The only way I can describe the podcast without spoiling it is X-men go to therapy. It’s an actual pleasure to listen to and it keeps you hooked. Lauren Shippen (@thelaurenshippen) has created something thats actually beautiful and has created characters who are relatable in every way. Sam is a time traveller with anxiety, Caleb is a high school student who can feel others emotions, Chloe thinks she’s going insane with the voices of angels then there is a mysterious character who I shall not name. It’s defiantly worth a listen and it’s an A++ podcast. The website also has things that are unique to each person. Sam has a blog, Caleb has instagram and playlists of his own and Chloe has tumblr. This is no joke something I want to make in the future so it’s amazing to me. New episode dates will be released with the new episodes.
King Falls AM - This is like Night Vale but less creepy and more paranormal. The main characters are Sammy “Shotgun” Stevens and Ben Arnold who host a late night call in show. I can only imagine this like Night Vale because of the similar format but they are completely different. King Falls AM is what Night Vale would be if the town normal and unusual things aren’t normal. The characters are really loveable and I just love them so much. There are people you will love to hate and it definitely makes you feel like you are a citizen of the town which is great. It brings a sense of community to the small fandom. I want to say more but it’s very spoilery so I will say no more. It’s worth the listen to and I recommend binge listening to this one, trust me you’ll want to. New episodes come out the 1st and 15th of each month.
EOS 10 - I’ll admit that I haven’t finished this podcast but I don’t think they’ve made new episodes since last year?????? (it was December so I wasn’t wrong). The story follows Ryan Dalias arriving on EOS 10 to check up on the doctor on the ship who has been going through his share of addiction. From what I’ve listened from this, it’s not bad but not my cup of tea. Scifi podcasts don’t work for me but I still enjoy this quite a bit. Warning if you aren’t interested in hearing people do the frick frack then there is a part of episode 3 that you’ll want to skip because it’s a little uncomfortable. The first two seasons are out and god knows when the next season will be available.
Within the Wires - This is another one done by Night Vale presents. Within the Wires is written by Jeffrey Cranor and the story is based through a series of standard relaxation tapes where you soon realise that yours aren’t standard. The woman on the to the main character and you slowly figure out what that connection is. The tapes themselves are a little creepy but they are sort of relaxing at the same time. Season two may be different and possibly might not be relaxation tapes but that’s the exciting thing about it. I personally prefer this podcast to Alice because I can listen to this and not feel scared when I’m trying to sleep. This one just creeps me out opposed to scaring me so I stay awake. I wouldn’t listen to this before bed though. I recommend to listen to this on a really long road trip because that’s the most comfortable I felt when I heard it. New episodes will come out when the new season does.
ars PARADOXICA - Imagine if you had accidentally created time travel and you find yourself in 1942 in the middle of the second world war. That’s what Sally Grisham does and she soon discovers that her time travel only goes back so she attempts to find a way to go back to her own time which is a little difficult with only technology from the early 40′s. I’ll be honest, I did really like this podcast when I first started it but the last 4 episodes make me question if I actually want to continue it. The latest episode makes me think that I could continue it. They do give warnings about gun violence and terrible things happening to kids which made me super uncomfortable but the warning was nice. New episodes come out the 1st of each month
The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air) - Yet another Night Vale presents project but it’s not written by Joseph or Jeffrey. The story follows the janitor Juilen as he tries to get into the show without getting caught. The podcast is set on top of the Eiffel tower and the most magical things happen such as a bird who can recreate a whole orchestra perfectly and a machine that can make the thoughts of a cricket come to life. There are only four episodes so far but it’s pretty good so far. The janitor is my favourite and he just shares stories about his life that only make me want to get to know him better which is nice. The french accents also make me really happy. New episodes come out every other Wednesday and I high recommend it.
Podcasts I haven’t started but are on my list
The Penumbra Podcast
Our Fair City
I wanted to make this in case anyone was interested with what I was listening to and I would like recommendations with podcasts because I’m always looking for new podcasts to listen to
Every time she did this, it told me everything about her character and validated why she is forever my favourite and the real Queen of figure skating. She would stay on the ice sometimes two or three minutes picking up every flower she could alongside the flower retrievers. It was her way of trying to personally thank every one of her loyal supporters of the wonderful crowds in Japan. A small gesture, but massive symbolism. Thank you, Mao, not just for your legendary skating, but for your integrity and heart.
I’ve thought about doing this list for quite a while now. Let me tell you why.
Being part of a fandom is, for the most part, quite awesome. However, being a fanfic writer can be quite daunting and discouraging, especially if you don’t get the feedback you’re looking for. As a writer myself, I just want to spread the love and point people towards some amazing, amazing works I’ve loved and have been inspired by since I was a mere thirteen year-old discovering ff.net for the first time. I really, really hope you guys check these stories out. In my humble opinion, they are even better than some original novels that have been published over the years. (*cough* Twilight *cough*)
At the end of the post, I’ve tagged TEN people here on Tumblr. I hope these people who are tagged will share ten of their all-time favourite fics and tag ten more people, and hopefully, we can keep this whole ‘support for fanfic authors’ thing going for a while yet. Fingers crossed! :)
1. The Life and Times (Harry Potter) by Jewels5 ( @itreallyatemyhand ) - The story of James and Lily’s sixth and seventh year at Hogwarts, and how they fall in love. This fic remains THE fic for me; it is practically canon in my mind. If you’re a long-time Harry Potter fanfic reader, you’d probably have heard of TLAT. This fic has its own fandom, for God’s sake. (It’s even been mentioned in a Buzzfeed article? Whattt?) But if you haven’t heard of it, START READING IT NOW. I can’t gush enough about how well-plotted and well written this story is. It has inspired my own writing throughout the years and I’ve reread it more than five times. It physically pains me that it might never be finished, but don’t let this stop you from enjoying these 36 chapters. They will make you laugh, they will make you cry, they will make you fall in love, and trust me when I say - you won’t ever be disappointed. I still come back to this story every now and then, and every time, I fall in love with it a little bit more. - Multi-chapter on ff.net
2. The Queen Susan in Tashbaan, Part 2 of the Stone Gryphon (Narnia) by @rthstewart - The Pevensies aiding the British war effort in WWII. If you’re a history lover and a Narnia fan, you MUST read this story. The amount of history woven into this series is simply awe-inspiring. The plot still floors me, even after all these years. And the characters - both the canon ones and the original ones - are written and expanded so beautifully. Not only that, there is a lot of heart to this story and a very real, very palpable sense of bittersweetness to everything. - Multi-chapter on AO3
3. A Sea of Golden Sand (Narnia)by Andi Horton - The events of “The Horse and His Boy” through the perspectives of the Pevensies. This is everything - I repeat - EVERYTHING you’d want from a Golden-Age Narnia fic. This story chronicles the events leading up to the final battle at Anvard, from Rabadash’s visit to Narnia to Aravis and Shasta coming to Archenland. It is incredibly, incredibly well-written, filled with humour, heart, and amazing characters. And although it was published in 2007, most stories in the Narnia fandom don’t even come close to this level of badassery! Edmund, one of my favourite characters ever, is pretty much swoon-worthy in this. I’m legitimately in love with this version of Edmund. - Multi-chapter on ff.net
4. Troubles Melt Like Lemon Drops (Narnia) by Francienyc - The Pevensies navigating life in England after they’re not allowed to go back to Narnia. Lots of sibling bonding in this one, but by God, the simplicity and the subtleness of their pain! It has been years, but I still think of this fic every once in a while, and it still chokes me up a little. - One-shot on ff.net
5. Hung Out to Dry (Narnia) by @rthstewart - Jill/Eustace but with an angsty, heartbreaking twist. Despite how short it is, it is still one of my favourite things I’ve ever read. The aesthetics, the silences, the unrequited love - this story has it all. Every time I read it, I find myself still getting emotional by the simplest of sentences. In short, just exquisite. - One-shot on AO3
6. Fools (Harry Potter) by lyin’ ( @thegirlwholied ) - The First Order of the Phoenix, with the Marauders, the Prewett twins, and Marlene Mckinnon. I remember crying my eyes out the first time I read this story, years and years ago. Yes, there are a ton of First Order fics out there. But please trust me when I say - none of them is quite like this one. This story will undoubtedly shatter you, but in the best of ways. - Multi-chapter on AO3
7. In Their Autumn Beauty (Harry Potter) by lyin’ ( @thegirlwholied ) - The teenagers of the First Order of the Phoenix as seen through the eyes of the much older, much more jaded Dorcas Meadowes. This story is only 2,000 words long, but it has stayed with me for years and years. It is so, so beautiful. Please. Just read it. I beg you. It’ll take you only ten minutes, maybe. You won’t regret it. - One-shoton ff.net
8. Joy in the Mourning (Narnia) by Andi Horton - The Pevensies during the Blitz in London, after they’re not allowed to go back to Narnia. I also remember crying when I first read this. (Yes, there really is a pattern here; I do cry a lot.) This story really captures what the Narnia books are about: finding joy and hope amidst despair. - One-shot on ff.net
9. The Death of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire) by La Reine Noire ( @poorshadowspaintedqueens ) - The events leading up to and of Robert’s Rebellion through the perspectives of the Dead Ladies Club, primarily Lyanna Stark, Ashara Dayne, and Elia Martell. Usually, I’m not a fan of fics about Robert’s Rebellion; I find most authors’ take of the events hard to believe and the characters not well fleshed out. This story, however, is EPIC and SO well-written, you’d think it was canon while you’re reading it! I cried buckets at the end, of course. If you’re a fan of the ASOIAF books, definitely give this one a try. - Multi-chapter on AO3
If you’re not tagged, but have seen this on your dash and want to jump in on the action, please feel free to make your own list and tag ten more people. Let’s show appreciation for fanfic writers who put so much work and time into writing these stories we love so much! <3
You know what one of my favourite things about skam is? (This is really silly, i apologize in advance) but the fact that you can see that the characters repeat their outfits. Like, they have their own wardrobes instead of having the directors pick out new outfits from a limitless cosume-stock for every scene you know?? It makes it so much more realistic, and I really like it…
WALKING TO THE FOREST TO DIE everything from Harry waking up in Dumbledore’s office to Voldemort killing him is just exquisite — Harry’s realisation that Dumbledore had been grooming him for death and Harry being hyperaware of his own body, “brain and nerve and bounding heart” is all so gorgeous and sad and wonderful, and he’s so brave. HE’S SO BRAVE. I’M SO FUCKING SAD IT’S BEEN 7 YEARS
destroying Dumbledore’s office I love this scene because after 4 books of Harry keeping shit to himself and sitting on his feelings you get lots of minor, small explosions post-Cedric dying and then THIS, it’s a NUCLEAR BOMB OF ANGER and it’s so satisfying to read but also the most painful thing in the world, ever
politely asking the sphinx to move, please this cracks me up every time. if someone was like show me ONE THING that DEFINES Harry James Potter AS A HUMAN AND A CHARACTER I would show them this scene. life-threatening wizard competition. dangerous magical creature. “can you move, please?” my son
torturing Amycus after he spit on McGonagall this means A Lot to me because Harry just straight up crucios that fucker without any hesitation or warm-up and puts so much feeling behind it. anything where Harry is morally grey is my favourite because he’s The Saviour and the Master of Death and it’s like yeah, and he just crucio’d a dude so hard he flew across the room and passed out
“you don’t have to call me ‘sir’, professor" any scene where Harry backchats Snape is fantastic but I distinctly remember reading this scene and being like OOOHHHH OOOOOHHHH SICK BUUURRNNNN OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH
Let’s face it, we bookworms tend to put a lot of pressure on ourselves, when it comes to our reading, because we’re weird like that, but in a good way. And, the truth is that reading should always be fun. Guilt free. ALL THE FUN SO MUCH OF THE FUN BECAUSE WORDS ON PAGES *insert screech* You know what I’m talking about. So I thought that compiling a list of the reasons that bookworms feel guilty and why they should just stop would be a great idea
1. Not reaching our Goodreads challenge/lowering our goal for the year
In the past few years, the Goodreads challenge has become a staple of measuring achievement when it comes to reading. It has become insanely popular and it’s honestly such a good tool to keep track of everything you’re reading. But it also adds an immense amount of pressure. I’ve been there. When December rolls around and you see that you’re to the Goodreads challenge what Pluto is to being a planet in the Solar System (a.k.a. not even close; also VIVA LA PLUTO because Pluto deserved better smh), the panic sets in. You’re left with two options: lowering your goal or not finishing the challenge. Both make you feel like crap. But honestly, life makes us feel like crap far too many times, thank you very much, so let’s not let reading add to the ever growing pile of crap, am I right?
There’s no reason to feel guilty. If you read one book that year, you’re still a bookworm and it’s still a HUGE achievement. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t reach your challenge. It’s just a stupid tracking tool on the internet, it’s not something to measure your worth as a reader or as a person. You’re still awesome, even if you read just a page. Even one page counts. We’re busy, school and work get in the way 99% of the times. Unexpected life events occur. Shit happens. It’s normal and it’s expected, because life is fun and all that jazz.
Also, may I suggest a great idea: set your goal to one book for the year. Boom! Pressure off. You’ll still be able to see what books you read, how many pages and all that jazz, with the bonus that you don’t feel like hyperventilating every time you open your Goodreads account
2. Not finishing books (the dreaded DNF)
Let me tell you something right off the bat: life is too short to waste on books that you’re not enjoying. Yes, I know, if you’re like me, you die a little on the inside every time you are at that point where you want to scream at the book you’re reading: BUT WHY ARE YOU NOT GOOD WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME WHO DID I OFFEND IN A PREVIOUS LIFE FML FML. It’s a reality. But let’s face it: you’re not going to enjoy every single book you pick up. It’s just not written in the stars. Which is why it’s perfectly acceptable to just…stop reading it. Put it down. Hug a kitten. Contemplate the universe. Leave it be. Maybe pick it up at a later time, maybe not. But don’t feel guilty. You didn’t disappoint the book, yourself, the book gods or literature as a whole. It just wasn’t meant to be and you should never force yourself to read a book you’re not enjoying. In my case, every time I force myself to keep going with a book I’m not enjoying, I tent to end up in The-Thing-That-Should-Not-Be-Named a.k.a. the Book Slump™. Just…no.
3. Not reading classics
80% of the classics I’ve read have bored me to tears. I mean. I want me some dragons, magic and lost princesses. There are no such things in most classics (a huge oversight on the part of the writers, but I’m not pointing fingers). I’ve stumbled upon some that I really enjoyed, but too few to really make me actively pursue reading classics. The trouble is that a lot of people cringe so badly when you tell them that you don’t read classics.
“So yeah, I don’t really read or like classics” “OMG HOW DARE YOU I AM OFFENDED” “Um, I just..don’t really enjoy them/relate to the stories/want to live while I’m reading them” “BLASPHEMY. SACRILEGE. BEGONE HEATHEN. SHAAAAME”
Whenever people react like this, it puts me off reading classics even more, because I hate judgy people. But I digress. My point is, the amount of classics that you read or don’t read doesn’t indicate how “good” of a reader you are (fyi, there are no good or bad readers imo). It’s just indicative of the genres you enjoy reading. That is all. People who read classics aren’t THE BEST BOOKWORMS™. They’re just people. Like you.
4. Rereading books
I will shout this from the rooftops: I LOVE REREADING BOOKS. It’s something so refreshing and comfortable to go back to a book universe you fell in love with. To revisit favourite characters and go on adventures with them again. I reread at least a few books every year. Last year, I actively tried to reread at least one book each month. It was so much fun!
Rereading books can get you out of The Slump™. Rereading books is an excellent alternative for when you can’t afford to buy new books because stupid life costs money booooo. Rereading can be so insightful, because you notice so many things you missed on your first (or second, or third or…you get my drift) read. Rereading can be a whole new experience years after reading that book for the first time. Rereading a certain book can be the best for you at a certain time, because everything is familiar and safe. Rereading is absolutely no reason to feel guilty – people usually say they’re wasting time when they’re rereading (um, no), missing out on new releases (they’ll still be there a week later when you finish rereading your favourite book thank you very much), they fear not liking it as much the second time around (fine, I’ll give you this, it’s a possibility, BUT I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE). Long story short: reread more books 2k17.
5. Neglecting books because life
We’re bookworms, yes. But we’re also People Who Need To Live and Function in Society. What does this mean? That we sometimes don’t have that much time to read (I know, it’s just so rude). Days may pass when we don’t read at all. Weeks. Sometimes months. Years? (all my college years were spent reading almost academic books exclusively; it was a dark time in my life). But that’s okay. There’s no reason to feel guilty for doing our best to live out lives. Doing that sometimes implies giving up certain things, because we simply don’t have the time or energy to do them. That doesn’t make us bad people or bad readers. Your books will still be waiting for you when you have the time to devote them your full attention. Books don’t judge.
Surprisingly or not, this is just part one. I have many feelings about this particular topic, because I really really want people to read books guilt free. And live the bookworm life to the fullest
I’d love to hear your thoughts on these points. And if there was ever a time you felt guilty for something book related
i have a lot of shows to recommend, so if anyone is interested, here are my fave shows in no order of preference
Sense8- brilliantly produced, intriguing script, beautiful representation, well rounded characters. this is my most recent watch, and it has had me in tears. the concept is so original and well-executed, it’s amazing
Riverdale- wow everyone in the show is a model or something, they all look ethereal. the show is refreshingly dark, with enough casual drama to balance out the plot
Mr Robot- i haven’t finished it, but it’s pretty boss. rami malek is prefect for his role, and the plot is pretty eccentric
Teen Wolf- one of my faves. season 6 wasn’t the best, but you can see considerable production and script development. also dylan o’brien is probably the most beautiful human
Game of Thrones- enough said. it is my all time favourite show, and one of the few shows i can rewatch without scrubbing an episode. production is bomb, the characters are gloriously flawed, and persevere despite them. every character introduced has a role of some significance. the character development of the women is amazing. also, dragons
Sherlock- my dudes, BBC Sherlock is an amazing show. the fanbase is completely demented, and i’m pretty sure most conspirasists emerge from here. mentally stimulating, and even though the recent season didn’t match up to the level of the first two, it’s pretty great
Doctor Who- a classic. humorous, random, space. light, family-friendly, and a great thing to watch if you need to brighten your mood. each episode has its element of mystery, and you can guarantee that there will be something new in each episode. the most recent season is so eccentric
Brooklyn 99- this is the only pure comedy that i thoroughly enjoy. genuinely hilarious, well scripted, original characters. the entire thing is so witty and well-thought, kudos mr samberg
An on-going character design assignment - a sketchbook for observation sketching! I’ve been trying to fill at least one page of this little sketchbook every day since mid February - I definitely miss days, so I try to do multiple pages when I do get around to it. These are some of my favourite pages!
Sorted in alphabetical order by ship, then by title
Ratings: G - general, T - teen, M - mature, E - explicit, NR - not rated
See ‘read also’ at the end of selected recs for more fic recs by the same author
This is always being updated - please share with me your favourites!
Most importantly, be supportive: leave kudos and comments everywhere you can!
Among Us (verse, M) by dgalerab - I will personally advocate for this fic series until I die - I didn’t think I’d even like an X-Men AU but the dynamic and characterisation and character development and drama is just? too good to ever put down?? Whenever I share it with other people I advise them to read at least the first three chapters before passing judgement and I don’t yet think anyone has actually turned away from it after doing so. read also: e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g by dgalerab, starting with Notes: Bokuto Koutarou (G)
better than spy films (oneshot, G) by dalyeau - Akaashi is Kuroo’s new roommate and Bokuto falls in love. …Yes I know it’s not much of a rec when all of dalyau’s fics are some of the most popular BokuAka fics on AO3 but~ they’re exactly that for a reason and I’ll forevermore adore the heck out of them. read also: love in the time of wifi (G),tea-stained polaroids (G)
bitter (twoshot, G) by silvercistern - Valentines/White Day fic. The fact that these two chapters were posted on the corresponding days make them all the more sweeter– or… not sweeter? Good bitter? (And yes, the countdown to White Day was agonising purely because I couldn’t wait for this update and it was so, so worth it.) A headcanon I could 100% believe in Akaashi and, of course, no-one would pick up on something like that faster than Bokuto Koutarou. Super quirky, completely adorable. read also:Character Development (T)
full hearts and flower emojis (multi, G) by lagatos - Akaashi discovers that his garden has a serial flower thief every morning. Featuring my favourite trope - KuroAka being best friends and roommates - and dialogue that had me smiling for daaaaays. I can’t even do it justice in words but, if you’re craving something light and cute as heck, this is your fic.
A Letter to Nintendo (I Met My Love on Mario Kart)
If you didn’t exist I would not have met the love of my life. You’re probably thinking, “So you bumped into someone and realised you both liked Nintendo, who doesn’t? Cool story…” Not even close.
The year was 2008, a year I’m sure many hold dear in their hearts. The year Mario Kart Wii was released. I don’t know about yours, but my days were filled with holding that wheel (of the plastic kind). MKWii was basically the air I breathed, I still remember my very first online race as crisp as a freshly cut lawn (Grumble Volcano before people realised that glitch existed). After playing the other Mario Kart games over the years against item-lucky computers (and the rare actual person), this blew my mind. However this is barely relevant to the story. The point is, people. There were people out there, just like you and me, casually sitting on the couch with a wheel imprint (perhaps 3.5% of the racing population) left in our hands and soul. Many hours (days, weeks, months), races (thousands, easily), blood sweat and tears went into this game and we all got something out of it I’m sure; fun, frustration, and friends.
Living in that piece of country people may often forget even exists (if it weren’t for the fact we use kangaroos as transport, especially after we realised emus don’t fly nor reverse), the option to play continental was such a blessing as we would often bump into the same people and you’d have that unspoken connection. No words, no contact, you just recognised each other by your Mii and/or name (for those who didn’t change it from John to W4FFLEZ, to SwagMeister89 every day). There was this one player that just stuck out to me, perhaps it was her luscious brown pixilated hair. Or it could have been because we seemed to be completely evenly matched, the only thing that separated us were those items. She’d win one race, I’d win the next. We had formed some unspoken bond, completely without contact, as we wouldn’t hit each other with items but were happy to do so to others. Side by side we’d race until some item-happy player would come along and separate us. So I’d stop at the finish line for her, even if that meant getting last place, just to let her know I saw what happened and she doesn’t deserve to come last because of some item spammer (you know, usually the 3 red shells one at a time). This became a trend and went both ways, I’d see her waiting there at the finish line for me. Then we’d both stop, together, and neither of us would cross. We just sat there at the line, revving our engines, moving backwards and forwards, wanting the other to cross. I still remember so clearly at 1am in the morning we ended up in a race together with just one other person, so the 3 of us. The race started but, simultaneously, we turned around and went backwards, did loops around each other, did the stop start (like when cloud man picks you up and you need a boost) into each other’s vehicles, grabbed items just to hit each other with, not having a single care about the race itself. This lasted for a good while, many laughs were had, and it seemed a true bond was formed - without a single word to each other. At this point, Mario Kart Wii didn’t have the option to add a friend just by clicking on them, or contacting them for that matter. You had to actually converse with them to get their friend code to then become friends, so all this time we were ‘scouring the country side’ to find each other (or more so because Australia is about as big as a 250kb USB, it was easy to bump into each other). Race after race, hour after hour, day after day, week after week we would race.
I didn’t know who this girl was (or even if she was a girl on the other side, let’s be honest) but we were Mario Kart soul mates. It wasn’t just Mario Kart that I loved, it was racing her, through our unspoken bond and silly rituals, that was fun in the purest form. It sounds like a Mario Kart love story… Until that dreaded time came where eventually we went our separate ways. It was time to say that unspoken goodbye, time to let go of that unspoken bond, time to move on. That was it…
So that’s the story, I met the pixilated love of my life and we raced until we could race no more.
…Ah but that’s only the beginning. 6 years later Mario Kart 8 was released and I wiped the dust off the wheel, reflecting on the past. That wheel was my partner in crime, Epona to Link. It had scratches, bits missing out of it, even bite marks (ahem, sometimes races don’t exactly go your ways…). Those were the times! I jumped online only to find I had people from France, UK and Italy roam my races. Where were my fellow Australians? I played a few races and that was it, holding too strongly onto the past. Down went my trusty wheel and off went the game. Until one afternoon my brother was bored (or procrastinating) and wanted to know what Mario Kart 8 was like, as we didn’t spend that much time together it was a prime opportunity to chill. So I popped it on, jumped online and went through the motions. A few races with people so far away, whilst fun, I got bored too fast. Almost switching the console off, something stopped me. Those brown eyes, luscious brown hair, big smile, black outfit. Could it be? It was. It was her. In a packed race filled with people from France, UK and Italy there were two Australians. Myself and the girl I raced almost 7 years ago. The girl who stopped at the line for me, the girl who didn’t hit me with items, the girl who who was my racing equal, the girl who I never spoke a word with but shared an unspoken bond. She had the same Mii, same name, there was no doubt it was her. Unlike me I had a different Mii (puberty does things to you) and a different name (I felt now that I was 23 I could level up from nickname to actual name). I knew who she was but she would never know who I am! I was on the tracks riding next to her, beeping at her, bumping into her, all the while knowing she would just think I’m some weirdo who doesn’t know how to handle a bike. It was all so ironic, as well as the fact unlike MK Wii we both didn’t race as our Miis but as Mario and Peach (the helmets covered up our luscious brown hair, y’see). Mario chasing his princess whilst the princess was basically in another castle/didn’t know who he was. I wanted to reach out and tell her who I was; I was that guy she raced almost 7 years ago, that guy who stopped at the line for her, protected her from items, the guy who she stayed up with into the early hours of the morning, that guy she never spoke a single word to. I savoured every race not knowing if I’d ever be able to see her again. I raced by her side race after race, even though I was hit with her items (“And if you hurt me, that’s okay baby” - Ed Sheeran, ‘Photograph’), I even stopped at the line for her. Did she know who I was? Probably not. Next race she was gone.
And that is how I met the love of my life on Mario Kart, twice. Does that count as a real love story? We basically raced into the sunset to live happily ever after, right?
So there may be more to it. Being in a state of excitement, nostalgia, and who knows what, I was a man on a mission. When I’m a man on a mission I usually forget the simple things, like clicking on her Mii to add her as a friend. I didn’t even know such a thing existed. So I literally was a man on a mission. My first resort, google. Obviously no luck. Miiverse! Excitedly I reached ‘Search Users’ and typed in her name, only to realise that it was one of the most common names to exist. After about an hour of searching my hope was wearing thin, my face resembled a Mii who came in at least 10th, head down, lost, reflecting, pondering. Hang on, she had stars in her name! Apparently everyone with the name Lisa has stars in them. No luck. Utterly defeated, I held the power button down for two seconds and just before the third I realised something. Something didn’t look right… That’s right, she had spaces between the stars! I’ve never been more determined to hit that space bar. There she was. I had found her.
“Hey Lisa! I’m not sure if you’d remember me but I used to race as Ed back in the MKWii days! Was good to see you, can see you haven’t lost your touch!” Not even sure if she’d see the message or even reply, it was all in the hands of fate now. Fate it certainly was. She remembered me. We conversed through Miiverse, learning little basic bits about each other. The most important being that The Legend of Zelda was our favourite gaming series (and basically favourite thing to exist). To the point I have a Zelda tattoo and her dog’s name is Link. Destiny? From there, she asked for my email address so she could send me a photo of Link (let’s just say I am very thankful for Miiverse’s lack of characters/ability to send photos).
One message turned into many, across days, weeks and months. A one sentence message grew into paragraphs, pages, novels, photos and videos. One single message evolved into over 25 000 words combined. Who knew what one message could lead to. I had found someone who I connected with on every level, whom I shared endless things in common with, big to small (to the point of both of us being left-handed and our birthdays being 2 days apart). However she lived a whole state away. This was nothing but a mere friendship over the internet.
I came across the amazing fan book “Legend of the Hero” by Kari Fry and bought one, along with a few other Zelda bits and pieces. A thought crossed my mind, perhaps I could send this to her? I mean it’s just as easy for her to go buy it herself, but it would be nice, right? So she ended up giving me her address and I excitedly made her a Zelda package.
Off it went, along with my number on the back of the package (as required by the, ultimate wingman, post office). I soon received a very excited text message and from there we conversed through text - although we couldn’t let go of our novel emails straight away, as our recent messages were “Hey, just letting you know the Postman has left something in your inbox (Da na na naaaa)!” Soon after she sent me my very own Zelda package, which was easily the best package I have ever received in my life.
From there I knew I wanted to meet her. I wanted to drop everything, catch a plane, and meet this girl who I shared this abnormally special connection with. Meet this girl who I had raced for many hours, days, weeks and months on Mario Kart(s) (“Oh I lost you once but I found you twice, and my search is over” - ‘Deeper Love’, Mike Mago). Meet this girl who I waited for; not only at the line but, unknowingly, for many years. Meet this girl who I had spent hours upon hours writing to, words upon words, photos upon photos. Meet this girl who seemed to be a destined part of my life. That I did.
One single flight and a solid friendship turned into thirteen flights (within a month) and a beautiful relationship, with the final flight being a permanent one. I’ve now moved states, transferred jobs, and am living with my best friend, my soulmate, my love. Best decision I’ve ever made was to catch that flight. No, the best decision I’ve ever made was to play Mario Kart.
Who knew that Mario Kart could forever change your life?
Thank you, Nintendo.
P.S. We are now very happily engaged - Zelda rings* for the both of us!
DEGRASSI SEASON THREE IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE BEST SEASONS OF A SHOW I HAVE EVER WATCHED ! So intense yet lighthearted and just so real - its beginning to give Skins, Skam, etc. a run for their money again. Everything in just ten episodes proves what wonders being picked up by Netflix has done for the show. Pointers ….
☆ THE PLATONIC FRIENDSHIPS
- Lola and the Gamer Club was so unexpected but so great
- Lola and Yael’s friendship was so amazing and one of the best female friendships to be portrayed on Degrassi IMO. Similar to that between Gamer Club and Lola, they’re such an unlikely pairing but Yael’s support towards Lola and her abortion during episode eight killed me, it was so beautiful
- Grace and Jonah are also one of my favourite friendships on the show bar the fact that I am receiving vibes that replicate season two Grace and Zig. Pleassssse just let there a be a bloody platonic friendship between a guy and a girl, Degrassi, plssss I beg
- I just really love how every character was depicted as so flawed and problematic yet loving and full of worth this season, it was so wonderful to see and it kind of gives hope watching. I’ve more confidence in myself and others after watching ?
- The writing was A***** this season. I cannot find a way to criticise it really. Also, A**** writing. Eric, Olivia and Ana all need some kind of recognition after their time on the show following their exits next season - such incredible actors//actresses
- The refugee plot was so so amazing and I really hope that the information we learn about Rasha and Saad’s backgrounds gives some insight to or a change of heart in anyone watching who has a negative outlook on the refugee crisis. Also, I love how Rasha is a refugee from Syria, muslim and gay, it was just incredible
- I almost cried watching Zoe come out after watching her so clearly struggle in the past few seasons and it broke me when she moved in with Grace after being kicked out by her homophobic a*s of a mom. Zoe’s come such a long way - like, can we just see her happy now, or ? Also, can I just say that Zasha are one of my otps ? Coool (other two are Hael and Fronah.)
- Goldi’s plot !!!!!!! Her character development is ace and I just love how imperfect she can be but how she learns so much. Also, as somebody who cannot stand religion, I couldn’t help but admire and respect how dedicated she CHOOSES to be to her faith. Also, when she supported Rasha coming out YASSSSS
- MAYAAAA MY BBY MAYA ! Her plot struck too many chords and it all made so much sense. In reality, Maya has been a ticking time-bomb for such a long time; she had to boil over at some point. Every tiny aspect of every one of her seasons was so important and poignant. It was kind of nice for her to have a happy ending for once. Also, they better not revert back to her old look next season - HECK NO, KEEP THAT CURLING TONG AWAY !
- We finally got an insight into Esme’s background ! Esme is one of those characters who’s problematic behaviour is sometimes too regular for me to understand or accept but after those final scenes in episode ten, wow ! Esme is going to NEED to have a more prominent role in season four - Chelsea really stole that episode as such a capable actress.
- Lola’s abortion storyline was flawless, it couldn’t have been done any better. It really was the best depiction of abortion in both literature and TV/film that I have come across or heard of. Everything from discovering that she had been taking the pill the wrong way to Yael telling her that she was coming to the appointment. The procedure scene was so so vital and important plus the interaction with the doctor was brilliantly written. I also thought that it was so important that Lola was the pregnant girl in that storyline after being fobbed off as the ‘bimbo’ for song long. Manny Santos-development vibes, yass !
- Episode five was probably my favourite episode this season. It ticked every box with both comedy and addressing the pressures and expectations of sexual behaviour and thoughts on both men and women. I had me both in stitches and in awe like IS THIS EVEN REAL
- I enjoyed Lola and Miles’s platonic relationship so I was a little disappointed when they ‘hooked up’, especially since both are so often depicted as promiscuous and without a conscience. Oh, well. But besides that, I did love how supportive they were towards one another.
- Grace is making me so upset, ohmygosh, episode seven. No words. I was so glad that she changed her mind.
- Well, we can finally understand why Baaz acts like such a d*ck - he is insecure ! That scene where he is basically admitting to being jealous of Hunter was beautifully done and even more so when Hunter let him win the eh, ‘measuring’ contest.
- THE PERIOD STORYLINE OHMYGOSH NO WORDS I JUST LOVE THIS DAMN SHOW
- I haven’t really thought much about the Tristan in a coma storyline yet. I’m not sure how I feel about it uh
☆ RANDOM NOTES
- Did everyone glow up this season or what ?!?!?!?!?!! Especially Hunter and Maya - DAMN ! In the early seasons of Next Generation, the then-cast apparently used to wear their own clothes in scenes rather than outfits from a wardrobe especially curated for their characters. It seems as if the current cast and crew are heading back this way (only have to look at Reiya and Hunter’s hair, plus Lola and Maya’s hair and outfits.) which I looove - realistic looks and all that.
- MAYA IS TALKING ABOUT CAM OHMYGOSH KATIE IS BACK OHMYGOSH INTERACTION BETWEEN MAYA AND MILES OHMYGOSH THIS IS TBT ON ACID
- Saad’s camera ? Where can I get it ? Pls ? Someone ?
- “You know what they say …. Big feet …” This show, I can’t handle it ohmygosh, bless the Gamer Club YES
- Yael and Hunter are the cutest, I love them both as friends and a romantic pairing and I really love how the show are portraying their difficulties in finding a balance ! Also, we really saw a softer side to both of them and they’re just ahhhhh
- TWIN TIME ! TWIN TIME ! TWIN TIME ! We need more twin time and Hollingsworth sibling scenes in general
- Am I the only one who was delighted that there was no sign of the Hollingsworth parents this season ?
- FRONAH ARE TOO GOOD, THAT IS MY ONLY METHOD OF UNDERSTANDING WHY OR HOW THE DEGRASSI WRITERS COULD TRY SPLIT THEM
- Hunter’s hair and Jonah’s hair and guyliner ayyyyyy
- YAEL IS SUCH AN AMAZING CHARACTER ! I love how they included the ‘girl on girl hate’ ‘I’m not like other girls’ kind of thing and how she realised how in the wrong she was. Also, she has no chill ! The measuring scenes, omfg
- JONAH APPRECIATION ! How could anybody hate this smol bean ?
- Is Winston still only here for comedy, or ? Come on, lads !
- Degrassi incorporating such healthy discussions on attitudes towards sex, death, etc. is just the best. BRINGING IT BACK TO THE OLD SEASONS, AYY !
- will the writers give Frankie a break omfg this girl needs decent development !!! Character development !!! Where u at
i’m currently on episode 7 of goblin and this is by far one of my favourite kdramas to date. the characters are so quirky, the visuals are great, plus the goblin and ji eun tak go to my country! the relationship between kim shin and the grim reaper kills my gut cause i’m laughing so hard.
i’ve dubbed it “pouty lips: the kdrama” because literally every actor has the nicest lips i’ve ever seen. personally, my favourite set belongs to lee dong wook.