What are some must-sees and dos if you're gay and visiting London for a long weekend?
Well…like specifically gay oriented stuff or just in general? I’ll do both:
1)book ahead a free visit to Sky Gardens. It doesn’t cost but you do have to book on the website. Probably best views of the city.
2) go to Soho. This is gay town. Check out The Yard or Rupert Street for Bars (or Freedom Bar if you have some £££ to toss around), and apparently Heaven is a must go for clubbing although I hear a mix of trash and fun there. I very much enjoyed XXL which is a darker club with something for everyone in Vauxhall, which is just south of the river, but it costs at least £15 just to get in.
3) Walk Hampstead Heath. Beautiful park full of puppers
4) shop on regent and Oxford street. This L will have you seeing lots of popular shops and fashion providers as well as the famous Piccadilly Circus.
5) there’s a pub in Vauxhall as well which has a huge gay history. I’ve never been but want to. I think it’s a mix of bear and drag and there’s a legend that Princess Diana dressed up disguised as a leather daddy and went in when she was young. Can’t remember the name but I bet if you google it it’s on there. Or I think it’s in the Graham Norton episode of Rupaul’s podcast.
6) see a west end show. Right now I’d recommend seeing the brilliant and gay Andrew Scott in Hamlet or Angels in America with Russell Tovey and Nathan Lane (both gaybies) at the National.
7) Walk the sights: take a tube to Westminster, cross the Westminster bridge, walk under the London Eye along the Southbank to Shakespeare’s Globe and cross the Millennium Bridge to St Pauls. You get a ton of sights plus restaurants and pubs in one 2-3 hour walk.