Dear Evan Hansen Positivity
I think sometimes we all get a little bit wrapped up in absurd fandom stuff, so I’m here to remind you all of some facts!
- Dear Evan Hansen is one of the only shows on Broadway that isn’t based on any source material! It’s completely and utterly original.
- It was nominated for nine Tony awards!! And won six! That’s incredible!
- Ben Platt won a Distinguished Performance Award at the 83rd annual Drama League Awards (which you can literally only win once in your entire life!!!) for his portrayal of Evan Hansen.
- It has been called “a touchstone for discussion about mature storytelling and themes explored in musical theatre”.
- It’s selling really really well! It was recently recognized as the highest grossing new musical, despite having less seats than a majority of theatres, and is completely selling-out for months in advance.
- The Dear Evan Hansen original Broadway cast album debuted at No. 1 on iTunes! Multiple times! And it debuted at number 8 on the Billboard 200, which was higher than Hamilton’s debut! Musical theatre cast albums are almost never in the top 10, and that’s amazing! It was the highest chart debut for a musical since 1961!
- There’s gonna be a national tour of the show, starting in October 2018! And there will probably be another tour after that, because the interest and hype is already so high!
- The entire ensemble has received endless praise, as well as the set, lighting, and projection design. In fact, the set design has been described as one “that transforms a small stage into a platform for the most intimate living room where a mother and son share a heart-to-heart to the physical abyss of internet cyberspace”.
- The music has been a massive hit inside and outside the musical theatre world, and has been described as having “heartfelt lyrics with universal appeal joined by the perfect, oftentimes acoustic accompaniment that can change the mood from somber to celebratory to sinister in a single bar of music”. Pasek and Paul became Tony-winners for their amazing work at the mere ages of 31 and 32!
- It’s been described as “one of the most vital and important portrayals of mental illness of all time, in any form of media.”
- It’s one of the most critically acclaimed shows on Broadway!
It’s an amazing show, recognized by fans, the Broadway world, and even the world outside of Broadway! It’s truly stunning, and I’m so proud and happy for the whole cast and crew.