“We are doing a raffle to raise money for Women to Women, a local non profit that works with single mothers in Denton. We are selling $5 raffle tickets. Tonight they will call somebody and give it to them.”
“What was your inspiration for the painting?”
“I think it’s about a courageous spirit. It really strikes me when I meet small people that have a big spirit, like an audacious spirit. You know size doesn’t have to be the thing that gives you courage. She’s hunting with the tiger, but she’s leading out like the tiger is the more fiercer but it’s obviously waiting on her like she’s the pack leader. I wanted to have something that strikes you as really intimidating and fearsome, but you can see something fearsome in her.”
“I’m hispanic, so my painting has a little Aztec culture mixed with a street aesthetic in a way with the bandana. All my stuff ties together with my graffiti roots. It might not say something, but it still sticks out to you. This is my first time painting here, but I’m going to try to see the festival later because I’ve been painting for two days and I haven’t done anything else. I did this all last night. The only thing I did the day before was the stencil.”
I found Chris just outside the entrance to Oaktopia, shouting like a carny, selling mystery T-shirts for $10.
“I’ve been living in Denton for 10 years and I knew that the vibe here would be good for this. These are the paintings I’ve been doing for the past few years, I’ve got these three designs that I screen printed on these shirts with the designs. I don’t know it just seemed like it would be a good vibe out here today. I was out here all day yesterday, crashed some house shows and stuff and I got it all down where I can carry it all on my shoulders.”
Dear Tumblr, we recently learned that there is a large, 3-day music festival similar to Coachella being planned to be held at the delicate Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve. This wildlife reserve is close by my house and one of a few areas set aside for migratory birds and other animals within Los Angeles.
I try to keep things light-hearted on this blog, but with this Tumblr’s large audience, we can really make a difference to a large number of migrating birds.
This musical festival could have a large negative impact on the wild birds that occupy this reserve during fall migration. 65,000 people are expected to attend each day and it will take around a month of preparation to pull off. The event will include pyrotechnics, flashing lights, loud music and litter is a huge liability.
The Sepulveda Wildlife Reserve is a very special place for the birding community and all of its animal inhabitants. If you can voice your opposition against this irresponsible festival it would mean so much to the birds of Los Angeles. I have seen so many wonderful birds there, including nesting owls, egrets, ospreys, and even a couple of bald eagles have been seen there.
Help spread the word. Be a voice for these defenseless animals.
So my city had a music festival this weekend and I just found out 2 people died and 57 were taken to the hospital. Now I use to use drugs and I do not anymore but I have a few pointers because I feel like the bigger drugs become and the new drugs we are creating where young teenagers are getting their hands on them and don’t know how to use them properly. Everyone wants to talk about not to use drugs but, no one wants to talk about how to safely use them if they choose to:
• DRINK WATER. DRINK TONS OF WATER. Have a bottle of water on you or accessible to you at all times! THIS IS IMPORTANT because you will get hospitalized and can die from dehydration. My friend smoked so much weed once and because she didn’t drink water she was rushed to the hospital from being dehydrated. And that’s only marijuana. Especially important if you’re at a festival.
• don’t mix drugs. Even weed and alcohol together just causes the spins. “Candy-flipping” sounds fun but it also sounds very disorienting which could lead to a bad time.
•don’t try to keep up with others, take things at your own pace. I promise you know your body more than anyone else and if they pressure you into taking more when you feel at your peak, tell them to fuck off. Because over dosing doesn’t sound fun and it can also lead you into a bad trip
•do it with people you trust and know very well for all of your first times. First of all, if anything goes wrong there is someone there to take care of you. Second, you trust where you’re getting it from. Third, can save you from terrible situations like rape or being robbed
• have a good playlist if you’re at home but if it’s acid don’t plan it because your music will base off your mood and if it’s Molly, you won’t stick to one song anyways
• trust me on this one and don’t shoot anything up
• if you feel yourself starting to think about whatever drug you’re doing too much, stop doing it. Addiction isn’t fun and someone out there cares about you and doesn’t want to see you go through that. (Except for weed but make sure you’re not lazy about it, you can be a productive stoner)