Honestly with how often Kaito disguises as Shinichi in the movies i wouldn't be surprised if the theory that 'Kudos Shinichi is actually KID' started becoming increasingly more popular among people. KID fans in movie-verse or something having these huge conspiracy theories about it.
This almost certainly happens. I imagine there are boards on the same KID forums that Sonoko frequent dedicated to it. You can divide the posters up into a few groups:
1) Proponents of the theory, who a) think it Just Makes Sense, b) think both KID and Kudou are hot and thus feel this simplifies things immensely, or c) are fascinated by the inherent moral quandary presented by a prominent murder detective moonlighting as a nonviolent thief (these people make subforums and debate whether Kudou-as-KID still qualifies as a morally good human and cite philosophers and moral theorists as evidence)
2) Kudou stans, who are offended that anyone thinks that the Great Detective of the East would stOOP TO THEFT
3) KID stans, who are offended that anyone thinks that the Magician Under the Moonlight is secretly a murder detective how boring
4) Trolls (KID himself is included in this category; while he posts reasonable things in other parts of the forum, everything he posts in this area is either nonsense or agitation)
5) Members of the KID Task Force, who sweep the forum for clues and aren’t supposed to post but occasionally argue with the trolls if they insult KID too much (even when people are theorizing that KID is Kudou, which they don’t believe for a second)
6) People with reasonable arguments against the theory, who rarely last more than two weeks (Kudou himself, who posts occasionally under a pseudonym, is an exception to this rule)
(Yes, KID and Kudou have in fact gotten into an internet post war without fully knowing, though both of them had an odd feeling the whole way through. Kudou just figured there was a draft in Agasa’s lab and Kaito figured it was test anxiety over an upcoming exam he was avoiding preparation for.)
I want to actually fic this but I’m pretty sure I don’t have the time, so I’m releasing it into the wild for now. Maybe I’ll come back to it, maybe not, but if anyone else wants to take a crack in the meantime, feel free!