I’ve seen a lot of posts about Hannah being a ‘drama queen’ or overreacting to small things everyone did so I thought I’d explain a bit about what I understood.
1. Justin - Justin exaggerated what he and Hannah did. While this seems mild, it set Hannah up for a terrible high school career because she earned the reputation of 'slut’. This happens so often in schools and in the adult world and can RUIN someone’s life in a certain, if not all areas.
2. Alex - Alex put Hannah as having the best ass against Jessica as the worst. It is clear that the internet is doing its thing again and not taking time to understand things properly; this was NOT A COMPLIMENT AND HANNAH HAD EVERY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY. It was a clear violation of friendship and an obvious example of men pitting women against each other for their own benefit.
3. Jessica - I’m going more by the book here, but Jessica was on the tapes because she didn’t believe Hannah and abandoned her when she needed her. A clear example of how people can easily be lead by others and girls turning on each other because of guys. Jessica deserved to be on the tapes because she didn’t hear Hannah’s side of the story and instead took her anger out on her first friend at the school.
4. Tyler - I don’t think I need to explain much about this, but he abused his position as a photographer in school to violate boundaries for his own pleasure similar to how a lot of people in a power exploit those below them. He made Hannah feel vulnerable and took the lack of comfort she felt at school to her own bedroom.
5. Courtney - I suppose this is kind of harder to understand. Courtney was a closeted lesbian and therefore it is understandable that she was upset at the thought of her being outed before she was ready, but Hannah confided in her to help her expose someone else and instead she protected herself by further ruining Hannah. This shows the selfishness of those who feel the need to protect themselves by harming others.
6. Marcus - I haven’t seen much on Marcus honestly, but I dislike him immensely. He took advantage of Hannah because of the impression of her he had put together from rumours created by other reasons (Justin, Courtney) which is an expression of how men feel owed something from women, especially those who are seen as 'slutty’.
7. Zach - At first glance, Zach doesn’t seem too bad. At half a second glimpse, this changes. Hannah rejected him because he said something silly, a mistake, and if he had made an obvious effort to explain and apologise, he could have helped Hannah. Instead, he chooses to punish her by preventing her from receiving happiness from others. This is one of the clearest examples of how men can’t handle a woman’s right to say 'no’ and reject him…
8. Ryan - This tape is similar to that of Tyler in that he made her feel unsafe. What Tyler did was worse than Ryan, however the effect of Ryan’s actions had (in my opinion) worse consequences that Tyler’s. Ryan published her poem because he thought it was something that needed to be shared, a selfish and naive action (when considering the maturity of high school students), which meant that Hannah’s personal thoughts were no longer her own. She was not comfortable at school, home or in her own mind.
9. Clay - Though I agree when Hannah states that he shouldn’t have been on the tapes, Clay does represent 'everyone else’ who stands by and watched people like Hannah slowly fade and retreat into themselves because of the actions of others. The 'bystanders’ if you will, whose lack of part in our stories can be just as important as those who intrude on us.
10. Justin - It is evident in the series that Justin was extremely haunted by the rape at Jessica’s party and this is probably why he is gaining so much sympathy… this is also why I recommend you all READ THE BOOK. Justin stood by and watched his friend rape his girlfriend, why is he receiving more sympathy than I’ve seen for Jessica? Of course it was hard for Justin to witness that, but staying friends with Bryce and staying with Jessica without telling her is reason enough for him to be on the tapes again.
11. Jenny - Jenny was kind to Hannah, offering her a lift home, but she didn’t take responsibility for knocking down the stop sign which lead to someone’s DEATH. The guilt that Hannah was left with from this (because she was in the car) was understandably overwhelming, especially as the victim was a classmate who was blamed for drunk driving. Jenny is an example of how our reckless actions and lack of responsibility for them can destroy other lives; is that not the entire plot?
12. Bryce - Lord help you if you need an explaination.
13. Mr Porter - A perfect example of how there is not enough support out there for students (and people in general, honestly). The counsellor advising Hannah to 'move on’ after she confides in him that she was raped is one of the most haunting moments in the entire series, solidifying her reason for suicide- she had no comfort amongst her classmates, in her own home, in her mind and now, the specialist designated for dealing with situations like this bore no real interest in her problems and told her to 'move on’.
It’s extremely important for us when watching shows with topics like this to remember many things.
First, the show is not just this situation. Everything represents something more in society; each tape side is a problem in the world that leads to suicide, not only a small action by one character leading to Hannah Baker’s suicide. If you need help in understanding this, or want something else similar to this story, I recommend watching or reading 'An Inspector Calls’ by J.B. Priestly- a masterful piece tackling classism/sexism and how each person’s seemingly small actions lead to a girl’s suicide.
Second, memes are sometimes funny. The 'Clay every time he sees Tony’ memes are really funny, the 'fuck off, Courtney’ memes are funny, but the 'welcome to your tape over a slight inconvenience’ memes, they’re not. The show is raising awareness for the seriousness of suicide, not to create a fanbase of jokes about it. Promoting these after you watch the show, is a clear statement that you haven’t understood why it was made and is completely unacceptable.
Third, separate the character from the actor. Justin Prentice is NOT Bryce Walker, do not spam his comments with disgusting name calling or threatening- this is CLEARLY wrong and unnecessary. This also works the other way: Brandon Flynn is NOT Justin Foley. Just because Brandon is attractive and nice, doesn’t mean his character becomes as such.
Please don’t turn 13 reasons why into another generic element of pop culture. I love pop culture, don’t get me wrong, but we have a tendency to begin digging for meaning and giving up halfway; overusing the profound starting points of progress we find by loosely throwing them around, emptying them of all meaning.
Thoughts on 13 Reasons Why characters and a rating of how much I dislike them from 1 being “my baby!!!!” to 10 being “FUCK THEM THEY CAN ROT”
Hannah Baker: Didn’t deserve everything she went through especially rape. She pushed some people away though and sometimes she was kind of idk how to word it but I didn’t like stuff about her at times. Either way she deserved so much better than what she got. Deserved to be happy with Clay. 2/10.
Clay Jensen: Will fight anyone for Hannah. He was so shy around her and didn’t know what to do whenever he was with her, he’s so precious. Sometimes there were some things he did that didn’t sit right with me but he definitely deserved a happy ending with Hannah Baker; they deserved to be happy and in love and ugh. Also… took like 4823707592 years to listen to the tapes? 2/10.
Tony Padilla: Gay POC which I love because we need more of them. I love him he was so patient with Clay and all he ever did was try and protect Hannah’s wishes. Glad he shared the tapes with Hannah’s parents because they deserved to know why she killed herself instead of being left in the dust wondering why. I was always so happy when he came on screen. CLAY LISTEN TO THE GODDAMN TAPES. 1/10.
Jeff Atkins: My pure cinnamon roll, didn’t deserve to die because of a stupid girl who couldn’t own up to her mistakes. I hate how nobody including his parents and except Clay never knew he wasn’t drunk that night he died. Just wanted Clay and Hannah together. Your fave is problematic: uses “unique” 7 times in an essay. -5435973495797/10. I love him forever, hes so great. Never did anything bad.
Justin Foley: Didn’t deserve the home life he had BUT i really hated him for what he did to Hannah and the fact that he’s a rape enabler and a rape apologist like he literally let his best friend rape his unconscious girlfriend, covered up for him, and lied to her about it and then when she found out, he STILL was justifying what he and Bryce did by telling her that he didn’t tell anyone because Bryce does all this shit for him. KNEW that whatever happened at that party was fucking Jessica up but didn’t come forward until the very end. Claims he cared for her but you don’t do that shit to someone you claim you care about. Fuck him for that. 8/10.
Jessica Davis: She was so cool and nice in the beginning but then I hated how she got mad at Hannah and slapped her for the list instead of Alex, like really??? You think she asked to be on that list?? PLEASE. But after all that, she was still nice towards her and was never ill-mannered when it came to Hannah. Also, can we talk about how she didn’t deserve to be raped??? Justin Foley DEFINITELY didn’t deserve her. YOU GO GIRL. TELL HIM YOU NEVER WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN. 5/10.
Alex Standall: He made some poor decisions making that list for a stupid reason and then letting Hannah pay the price. I somewhat like him though. I think he was a redeemable character and had a conscience (although it was too late, rip Hannah Baker) and felt that he needed to own up to it and tell the truth, was ready for whatever penalty he was gonna get. Was the only one (for a while) who thought what the others were trying to do was stupid. He definitely deserved better too, he didn’t deserve to shoot himself (or in other theories, didn’t deserve to be shot by Tyler). Please be okay…please be alive, baby. 4/10.
Courtney Crimsen:GIRL, BYE. I hate and will always hate her character so much. Her and Bryce should just rot. She was a rape apologist and only cared about herself. Like girl I get that coming out is hard, I haven’t even done it, but to fuck up Hannah’s life like that? Are you serious? Justified Bryce’s actions to hide her truth. And she fucked up Jessica’s life too, in my opinion. She tried so hard to convince herself (and others) that Hannah was lying, Bryce isn’t a rapist, and that Jessica was never raped just so she can stay in the fucking closet. Like there’s nothing wrong with being gay. And she has two gay dads for fucks sake. 10/10 would always hate her again.
Zach Dempsey: I think he genuinely liked Hannah but after all the shit Hannah had been through and the fact that his friends were his friends, I definitely see Hannah’s side of why she shot him down. I think he, himself, was lonely too but in different way; just because someone’s popular doesn’t mean they’re not lonely. Didn’t get compliments so he stole Hanah’s when she needed it most (I hate how he did that ugh like WHY…did you really need it?). Redeemable character, though. Also…HE KEPT HANNAH’S NOTE IN HIS WALLET!!! 5/10.
Tyler Down: Fuck him. A fucking creep. Like, he stalked people and took pictures of them when they were unaware (especially Hannah) and when she confronted him, HE FUCKING SENT THE PICTURE TO EVERYONE. Claims he “loved” Hannah but really?? FUCK HIM. Why did he even have so much guns? I’m pretty sure he’s planning a school shooting…fucking psychopath…”I can take care of myself” BOY BYE. And if he did shoot Alex, FUCK HIM EVEN MORE. 9/10.
Ryan Shaver: Didn’t respect Hannah’s wishes. Only cared about himself and poetry. Didn’t even care that Hannah didn’t want her shit to get out. I only liked him whenever he said Bryce is a rapist and that Courtney should just shut the fuck up and stop justifying Bryce’s actions. 8/10.
Marcus Cole: He cared more about himself and his reputation more than anyone. Thought he was the shit. Sexually assaulted Hannah then called her easy for refusing. 9/10.
Sheri: I liked her and she was genuinely nice but she crashed the stop sign and left a drunken Hannah at the scene and fled. Caused Jeff to die and I hate her for it. Though she reported it because she knew it was the right thing to do, it was already waaay too late. 6/10 because of Jeff.
Bryce: Rapist. Douchebag. Scum of the earth. He didn’t even think what he did was wrong. He raped two fucking girls and didn’t even feel remorse. He just thought every girl wanted him and that was that. I hate him so much, he can die. 102804802020x100000/10.
Mr. Porter: Could have tried better to stop Hannah from killing herself. She was set on suicide until she had doubts and needed just one person to help her and the one person she came to didn’t care enough to chase after her when she left his room that day. Worst. Guidance Counselor. Ever. 8/10.
this is probably so random and most of y'all will probably think i am annoying for saying these things but the way people are making 13 reasons why a meme or even posting inappropriate jokes about it is literally confirming that hannah baker’s views on society exists in real life. it’s sad seeing other people make jokes about it when it tackles about sexual assault, bullying, mental illness, suicide and a lot of serious issues that most of us experience in real life. 13 reasons why wants y'all to stop joking about mental illness and suicide and by making tons of shitty & inappropriate memes about the show/book clearly shows
that y'all are missing the whole point and lesson of the show & the book.
ps. i was refering to the jokes/memes about “welcome to your tape”
Because life won’t give us all the answers.
We don’t know why each individual person kills themselves and we don’t know why each individual person bullies someone and we don’t know why headphones always manage to come out of our pockets tangled.
13 Reasons Why won’t give us all the answers.
We won’t know if Alex will survive the gunshot wound.
We won’t know where Justin will go to live.
We won’t know why Tyler has all those guns.
We won’t know how Jessica’s dad will react when she tells him what happened to her.
We won’t know if Bryce goes to jail.
We won’t know what consequences Sherri faced.
We won’t know what comes out of the new friendship between Clay and Skye.
We won’t know if Courtney will ever come to terms with her sexuality and eventually come out.
We won’t know if Tony, Clay, Brad, and Skye will be good friends, or help each other through all of this.
We just won’t know because that’s not how life works.
We may know the what but we won’t know the why. No one is going to leave us thirteen tapes to finally understand.
We will not get another episode because this story is over, and all the questions we have will go unanswered, and we’ll just have to live with that.
“Hey it’s Hannah, Hannah Baker. Don’t adjust your whatever device you’re hearing this on. It’s me live and in stereo. No return engagements, no encore and absolutely no requests. Get a snack, settle in. Because I’m about to tell you the story of my life…more specifically why my life ended and if you’re listening to this tape you’re one of the reasons why”
(I couldn’t fit all of them in)
My thoughts on 13 Reasons Why Characters (Contains Spoilers)
Hannah Baker: I hate everything that happened to Hannah.Those terrible scenes just grabbed my heart and crumbled it into dust. She went through so much and felt like she had no one to talk to. Majority of her friends just betrayed her except for Clay Jenkins. The only thing about Hannah that I found messed up about her was that she pushed away the one person that actually wanted to be there for her.
Clay Jensen: I felt bad for him, having to hear about the awful things done to the person he loved and watching him struggle to try and get justice for her. I just wished he was able to overcome the fear he had when talking to Hannah and told her how he really felt. There was that moment where he was a dick to her when she tried to talk about the car accident and he completely shut her down.
Tony: Ever since the beginning i got this mysterious vibe off Tony and i didn’t really like it but i realized it was all for Hannah and honoring what she wanted, I’m really glad he decided to show Ms. Baker the tapes even though I was dying for him to tell her sooner.
Jeff Atkins: OMG WHY?!? JUSTICE FOR JEFF TOO! He had absolutely nothing to do with the tapes and all he wanted was Clay to be happy and to be with Hannah. He was such a sweet guy who definitely didn’t need to go.
Jessica Davis: I loved her, then i hated her, and then I felt really bad for her and like Hannah I hope Jessica gets the justice she deserves. I really liked her at the beginning, she was such a cool person and her and Hannah were so so similar. They had that friendship, where you can consider each other sisters. But then I hated how she automatically blamed Hannah instead of Alex for the list that he made and then blamed her for end of their break-up. She didn’t even try to listen to Hannah. And I hated that she didn’t want to see justice for a girl who was once her friend. But then it all started to make sense and it was because she was fed a soup full of lies by her boyfriend.
Justin Foley: I feel like Justin Foley actually does have a good heart but he just didn’t make the right decisions. I loved how much he cared about Jessica but what he did to her was completely awful. But, it killed me when he called out to his mom after her boyfriend just choked her son and she just walked away. And what really also got to me was when he told Jessica about almost jumping and said he couldn’t because he was thinking about her almost made me forget about what he did but then Jessica told him off, and I remembered the pain he helped cause her. It’s clear that what he did was eating him up inside (as it should) and now he just has to live with that
Bryce aka dickshit: FUCK HIM. HOPE HE CREMATES IN HELL. If you watched the show, i’m pretty sure this is all I need to say about that disgusting animal.
Courtney Crimsen: Hate her. Hated her. And still hate her. I understand she didn’t want people knowing she was lesbian but that was no reason to throw Hannah under the bus. Coming out is hard, especially when you go to school with a bunch of judgmental, immature idiots but that’s still not a justification for what she did. And then i absolutely hated her when she tried to stand up and protect Bryce like he wasn’t a rapist who raped not only Hannah but Jessica too. I get she was lying to herself about him not be a rapist so she wouldn’t have to consider herself a lesbian but she just needed to finally admit the truth to herself.
Sheri: I liked her and….. i don’t hate her. She should’ve called the cops but I understand her reasons her hitting and running a stop sign. She was scared. But she should’ve never left an slightly intoxicated Hannah there after she offered her a ride. But i do feel like Sherri has her heart in the right place by hanging around the old man who got in the accident and by finally going to the police.
Alex Standall: I hated him for making the list and letting Jessica be mad at Hannah for it. But he was the only one who actually had a brain in the ‘lets take Clay down so the world won’t know about all the horrible things we’ve done” group. He was the first one to actually wanted to tell the truth and accept the punishments. He was also a sweet character and I really hope he isn’t dead.
Zach: I thought he was sweet too. But i didn’t like how he didn’t speak up for Hannah and actually take into consideration that she needed help, but i can’t really blame him for the fact that he was scared and it’s hard to know that there’s something wrong with someone and actually being able to help them. Knowing that there’s something really dark about a person and just freezing up with fear and not knowing what to do. And what people do in situations like this is they take the easy way out and just ignore it and act like it never happened. But i truly think he actually liked Hannah.
Tyler: Fucking creep. Seriously he should have his camera shattered into a million and one pieces. And i know this is just a theory but i just wanna put this out there and most of you are probably thinking this too but i’m pretty sure Tyler shot Alex. He had all those guns and he took down Alex’s picture. It makes sense. Anyways, i don’t understand why he was trying so hard to try and get into the ‘lets take Clay down so the world won’t know about all the horrible things we’ve done” group. I think he’s a psychopath and that side of him will unravel in season two of this show.
Marcus Cole: I thought he was actually a nice guy when he asked Hannah to go out with him and then once he came and hour late and sexually assaulted Hannah that’s when I hated him. He cared wayy to much about his reputation.
Ryan: self-centered douche bag. The only moment i’ll applaud him is when he shut Courtney down when she tried to deny Bryce was a rapist. I saw his point on having her poem open to the world and about her struggles reaching out and connecting to other people’s problem but it was personal and he should’ve asked for permission.
Mr. Porter: What’s the point of having a guidance counselor if they’re not going to help guide you out of your problems?? I’m happy he felt bad for not being able to stop what Hannah did to herself. Out of all these people, he was the only one that actually gets paid to help people out of their problems
lmao i can’t believe 13 reasons why actually used to mean something to me and now people are kinda just ruining it?? by romanticizing??? everything??? like i hate to break it to you but:
Justin’s a rape sympathist not a ‘precious bby child’
Jessica SLAPPED hannah and didn’t even bother to hear her side of the story
Alex made the Hot or Not list??? like why does everyone keep forgetting that? Jessica wouldn’t have sex with him so HE FUCKING MADE A HOT OR NOT LIST.
Tyler Down was really creepy (actually the fandom hates him enough as it is so nvmnd lol)
Courtney’s also hated enough by the fandom… at least that part got to them.
Marcus isn’t talked about a lot tbh but he’s like the most typical asshole ever. Just fuck Marcus.
ZACH IS NOT A CINNAMON ROLL. He stole those notes, and while he is one of the better characters, you can’t just steal other people’s notes! I’m not saying he’s a bad person, but he sure as hell isn’t a fucking cinnamon roll.
Ryan Shaver you goddamn arrogant prick
Sheri should’ve called the cops.
Ok. Even Hannah forgave Clay… but honestly… he’s done some pretty questionable stuff. Fighting everyone.. believing Justin (”sometimes waiting is better”?? really clay?) I mean he’s a good kid… but he could’ve been way better too.
Bryce is completely irredeemable and should fucking rot in hell. And jail. Fucking rot in hell’s jail.
Mr. Porter… what the fuck? is? your? problem? you absolute ignorant FUCK.
and as always: JEFF ATKINS DID NOTHING WRONG (honestly though. I’ve rewatched his segments and literally? nothing? wrong?)
my point here is STOP ROMANTICIZING THESE CHARACTERS. STOP SAYING WHAT THEY DID IS FINE. STOP. Someday someone’s gonna have a situation with someone similar to one of those characters and they’ll see others romanticizing them and just… fuck. I don’t even know what else to say. Just please. Stop. Romanticizing 13 reasons why. It makes it seem like suicide is okay. It makes it seem like suicide is ‘fashionable’. Please stop. Honestly.