Reasons why tumblr should calm the fuck down about Le Fou being gay
1. Luke Evans, Bill Condon, and Ian McKellen are all openly gay men. They were all very influential in the creation of the movie and character profiles (and given how respected Ian is, they will do what they can to make him happy) so you know they won’t resort to 90s stereotypes
2.The articles have at least stated that Le Fou will get a (probably redemption style) arc to himself where he comes to terms with his identity and goes through legitimate character development. While we do not know what will happen, we can at least be sure that he won’t just be a walking stereotype with three scenes and four homophobic jokes.
3. Did you REALLY think that Disney would go all out with an LGBT character? People freaked out over Gravity Falls and Star vs the Forces of Evil. You can’t just jump from that to something like a lesbian Belle.
4, We haven’t heard anything about Cogsworth and Lumiere. Yeah Lumiere is hitting on the maid, but who knows?
5. This movie will be shown in openly homophobic countries. They know that they have to ease people into this sort of thing.
6. A business is a business. Don’t expect them to make every character gay just to appeal to tumblr. These people need to make money, and they know that they will lose a certain amount either way by giving Le Fou screentime and an arc.
7. Many people have had experiences of unrequited love and abusive relationships-gay or straight. The articles at least implied that Le Fou will have a happy ending, so why do you care if part of that involves getting over an unrequited crush and shitty relationship? As long as they do it well (*cough cough* OUAT) and believably, I’m all for it.
8. It is much better for them to use a well-known character and have them come out in the movie than create a side, one note character just for pandering purposes. They are giving Le Fou an arc. I would be much happier with a well developed, morally ambiguous gay character than a side character in a random town scene.
9. A lot of conservatives and people from the more homophobic areas will boycott the movie because of this, and that will hurt sales. If people boycott the movie because of one character that doesn’t fit their moral standards, the movie will suffer and Disney will immediately (and rightly so) root out Le Fou as the cause of it. You will end up setting this shit backwards.
10. Not every queer character needs to be attractive or in a position of power. It is important to display a variety of characters who happen to be queer.
Now, I am still skeptical of all of this myself. I hope that they give Le Fou some more characteristics outside of his love for Gaston and sexual confusion. But it is way too early for people to be freaking out like this over the movie.
Beauty and the Beast was the movie that defined my childhood, as well as that of many other kids. And now, a new generation of kids will be introduced to Belle’s world and see different kinds of outcasts fall in love. The story at its core, is beautiful in so many ways. It makes me very sad to know that many people find so much offense in one gay character that they would boycott what otherwise looks to be a visually stunning, intelligently updated remake of my all-time favourite Disney movie.
Just give it a chance. Nobody really knows any details about it. For the next two weeks, this is still all just speculation.
And now…I humbly await your threats. Feel free to unfollow me at any time!
(in all seriousness though, I would be more than happy to debate this subject in a cordial manner. just message me with your thoughts!)
“I don’t want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted just like that, and it didn’t mean anything? What then?”
If I had to pick a movie that defined my childhood, it’d probably be Coraline. Of course, I read the book and I love it to bits, but the visuals of Coraline completely sold me from the first few minutes. Every detail, color choice and character design comes together to make something truly beautiful. Coraline herself is a character I hold dear to my heart, and I had to include her!
Like my art? please reblog it!
Please do not edit, repost or use in any way without my permission!
Was The Sandlot a thing for people outside of the US too or was it something that was pretty US-centric? I mean…it’s about baseball… so idk if it was popular elsewhere or not, and I’ve wondered about it. ‘Cause that is a defining movie of my childhood right there.
Are you kidding me? I mean, seriously, the iconic and perfect movie that defined part of my childhood??? WHY WHY
NO BUT WHY
I BET KEVIN JAMES WILL BE THE LEAD OR SOME SHIT, TOO. Please just put me to bed. Put me to bed right now. I need to wake up in a world where there is only one Jumanji. I cannot live to see that day that there is a Paul Blart Mall Cop 3: Jumanji Edition.
Who’s going to play Bonnie Hunt’s role??? Kate Upton? Kate Upton in a low cut t-shirt on a magical trampoline that stops rhino stampedes??? PROBABLY. OR SOME OTHER GORGEOUS GIRL WHO’S SHIRT RIPS STRATEGICALLY WHEN SHE FIGHTS A PACK OF RAGING MONKEYS.
Not that pretty girls can’t fight monkeys or do whatever the fuck they want becauseyour looks do not define your skill set–AGH. FUCK, MAYBE KATE UPTON IS GREAT AT STOPPING STAMPEDES. I DON’T KNOW. I’m just so upset right now. I DIDN’T MEAN TO TAKE IT OUT ON YOU, KATE UPTON. I BET YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON, YOU JUST AREN’T BONNIE HUNT. What is Bonnie Hunt even up to? Her IMDB stops at like 2010…I’ll need to look her up later…ANYWAY BACK TO RAGING….
The kids surely will be played by some actors from the Disney channel who I won’t even know and they’ll make me feel so old that I’ll just want to drink myself to sleep.
AND WORST OF ALL –OH WORST OF ALL–they will get someone *amazing* to play the fucking cop role because everyone knows that’s the best character and it will be someone I LOVE like Aziz Ansari or Hannibal Buress or Louis CK and that will make me want to go see that MONSTROSITY. And I probably WILL go, too–in the same way that you hear someone fart and even though you know you shouldn’t, you almost can’t help it, and suddenly you’re sniffing and YOU’VE DONE IT–YOU’VE SMELLED THAT STRANGER’S FART and you’re horrified at yourself and your self control and the farter….oh god….
I need a glass of water. I am not okay.
The news of the remaking of Jumanji has literally unleashed a disturbing wild anger that I did not know I contained. AND NOW THAT I’VE STARTED MY ONLY OPTION IS TO KEEP PLAYING, GODDAMMIT.