Who is Montparnasse? I guess give a quick bio? I've only seen the 2012 movie so I don't know much about him
OH MY GOODNESS OKAY!
In the Brick, Montparnasse is a member of Patron-Minette, a criminal gang which operates in Paris. He was a street urchin not unlike Gavroche, before a girl told him he was really handsome and since that day, Montparnasse resorted to crime in order to get himself pretty clothes (I swear I’m not making this up). Since he’s piss-poor and lazy as fuck, crime seemed like the best gig in order to get what he wants.
Okay, so random Montparnasse traits:
- He’s vain. As fuck.
- Fucking ExtraTM . Like, the guys goes everywhere with a red rose because?? He thinks he’s cool??
- He’s a fucking dork oh my god he thinks he’s so cool but the guy got his ass kicked by a sixty yo dude like son, check yoself because u rek yourself
- He likes Gavroche a lot.
- He’s around 18/20 in the Brick
- His character is written as very ambiguous. Very grey, if you will. Definitely not GOOD but definitely not a villain either. Hence the quote: “ He was kind, effeminate, graceful, robust, sluggish, ferocious” See the antithesis? (The original French text describes Montparnasse as “gentil” aka “kind” or “nice” while the English text translated it as “genteel” which doesn’t convey the same connotations and I’m HELLA SALTY ABOUT IT.)
- Part of me is convinced that Montparnasse was written as a comic relief
Random Montparnasse facts:
- Babet, one of his fellow associates, calls him “pretty boy” once
- Has a swordcane
- Gets robbed by Gavroche once
- Has a sort of brotherly relationship with Gavroche, with Gav’ teasing him to no end
- Refuses to speak argot (slang) because he wants to appear PROPER and DIGNIFIED (see the Edgelord entry)
- Robber and assassin by night, dandy by day
- Javert calls him a “Devilish Dandy” :’)
Anyway, I love my trash son