“Two friends bring along a newcomer to go on a killing spree.“
9. Compliance (2012)
“When a prank caller convinces a fast food restaurant manager to
interrogate an innocent young employee, no-one is left unharmed. Based
on true events.“
8. Deadgirl (2008)
“Two high school boys discover an imprisoned woman in an abandoned mental asylum who cannot die.“
7. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
“A New York University professor returns from a rescue mission to the
Amazon rainforest with the footage shot by a lost team of documentarians
who were making a film about the area’s local cannibal tribes.“
6. A Serbian Film (2010)
“An aging porn star agrees to participate in an “art film” in order to
make a clean break from the business, only to discover that he has been
drafted into making a pedophilia and necrophilia themed snuff film.“
5. Salò or 120 Days of Sodom (1975)
“Four fascist libertines round up nine adolescent boys and girls and
subject them to a hundred and twenty days of physical, mental and sexual
4. The Snowtown Murders or Snowtown (2011)
“Based on true events, 16 year-old Jamie falls in with his mother’s new
boyfriend and his crowd of self-appointed neighborhood watchmen, a
relationship that leads to a spree of torture and murder.“
3. The Girl Next Door (2007)
“Based on the Jack Ketchum novel of the same name, The Girl Next Door
follows the unspeakable torture and abuses committed on a teenage girl
in the care of her aunt…and the boys who witness and fail to report
2. Irreversible (2002)
“Events over the course of one traumatic night in Paris unfold in
reverse-chronological order as the beautiful Alex is brutally raped and
beaten by a stranger in the underpass.“
1. Martyrs (2008)
“A young woman’s quest for revenge against the people who kidnapped and
tormented her as a child leads her and a friend, who is also a victim of
child abuse, on a terrifying journey into a living hell of depravity.“
World War II was never about bring down the Nazis because they were committing genocide. Even when the world knew about the Holocaust they did little or nothing at all to save the victims. So Inglourious Basterds has a really special place in my heart. It’s clearly and deliberately historically inaccurate in certain respects (Hitler obviously didn’t get machine-gunned to death, the Nazi high command didn’t die at a movie premiere), but those intentional anachronisms are a way to recreate history to allow Jews of today a cathartic way to see themselves taking down the Third Reich. The Basterds are specifically made up of Jewish soldiers, and the woman who blew them all to hell was a Jew exacting revenge on the fascists who killed her family.
In essence, the movie is “what if Jews had been directly responsible for killing the Nazi high command?” instead of “the Jews were victims, freed by the Allies.” Because the Allied Powers were not predominantly concerned with stopping the Holocaust, or with the plight of European Jews. Inglourious Basterds doesn’t mince words: Nazis are evil sons of bitches who deserve to be murdered brutally, and the genocide of Jews is what defined who they were.
Can people please send me recommendations for something to watch/read with a cool asexual or Jewish main character. I’m just really craving representation right now since I’m in a foreign country and basically in the closet on both fronts. Fantasy or science fiction would be preferred but not necessary. Please nothing to do with the holocaust, my mental health would not be able to stand it. I just need something to take up my time and some representation would go a long way.
In the movie's description it's worded in such a way that it's like, the persecution of the Jews is used as the background, which is ridiculous.
Look. If you set a movie in Nazi Germany, the persecution of the Jews HAS to be the background. It would be dishonest otherwise. And I have no problem with showing what other groups despised by the Nazis suffered through in that time and place. What I object to is the “forbidden romance” angle which is 1)tired and 2)disgusting.
It’s one thing if this were based on fact, but it’s not. This isn’t the true story of a biracial girl who lived and probably died in Nazi Germany. This is a trumped up forbidden love story that will probably end in her death and we will be expected to weep over the boy not getting the girl instead of, you know, the genocide he’s probably collaborating in.
Isn’t there enough drama inherent in the idea without shoving romanticization of a Hitler Youth in there?
This is the first trailer for Denial, which stars Rachel Weisz as Jewish Historian Deborah Lipstadt who was sued for libel for calling Holocaust denier David Irving a liar in her book. Given the growth of antisemitism and Holocaust denial in recent years, this movie is desperately necessary.
As a side note, I’m glad that Weisz is playing the part of Lipstadt given that she, like Lipstadt, is Jewish.
This is the trailer for The Promise, a film that takes place at the beginning of the Armenian Genocide in 1915. If you know me at all, you know that I am a proud Armenian, and I try to educate everyone I can about the genocide, and now there is finally a major film being released to tell our story. From the same director as Hotel Rwanda, Terry George, this film’s budget was $100 million.
DO NOT BELIEVE REVIEWS ON ROTTEN TOMATOES OR IMDB.
This film has been screened three times, one being at the Toronto Film Festival on September 11, 2016. And yet it has over 55,000 1-star reviews. How is that possible? This film is about a touchy subject for many because it centers around the time the Ottoman Empire carried out a genocide against the Armenian people. But since it is not possible that all these people have seen the film considering the simple fact that it has not been released anywhere yet, how can people leave negative reviews about a film they’ve never seen? In my humble opinion, it really questions your website’s credibility. This film was produced by someone who had a vision and his name was Kirk Kerkorian. He put many of his earnings on the line to put this movie into production. The director, Terry George, is one of the most renowned and respected in Hollywood. The cast is made up of countless brilliant actors. This film has quality written all over it and yet it is being unfairly rated down by people who haven’t seen it. It is a known fact that the Turkish government and people have been denying this genocide for over a century and are willing to go to great lengths for it to remain unrecognized. But to allow your website to become a weapon of Turkish denial and propaganda is not the standard that your company set for itself when IMDb was launched. Your website has always been a respectable portal of knowledge about all films of the world, so I am in real disbelief as to why a film that has not been released to the public is being defamed and down-rated by Internet trolls. As I said, this whole situation just questions the validity of IMDb. Please do not allow this to keep happening. There are so many people who dedicated their time and effort to the making of this film. They spent millions of dollars to make it happen. This film tells a story of an event that the world needs to know about. And until people have the chance to see it with their own eyes and in turn draw their own conclusions, please do not allow these ignorant ratings stray you away from an amazing film.
Why do u think Jewish people are so ignored by tumblr's social justice community? It really irks me
A few reasons:
1. The belief that Jews are white. This comes with two corollaries: 1. Anti-semitism against White Jews doesn’t matter because they’re white. 2. Racism against Jews of Color matters, but anti-semitism doesn’t.
Regardless of their varying cinematic quality, the X-Men movies have always been good at building this political allegory without becoming overly preachy. However, they’ve also been downright abysmal at acknowledging people who face this type of discrimination in real life. The only exception is Charles Xavier, who as a character with a physical disability is near-unique as a blockbuster movie protagonist.
If the Holocaust isn’t discrimination in real life, I don’t know what is. But Magneto’s “whiteness” somehow cancels that out.
3. Confirmation Bias. There are Israel critics who try to take in all the valid information and make fair statements, but they are nowhere near common enough. There are others who have decided that any Jewish voice that disagrees with them on anything must be an evil Zionist Hasbranik working for the Mossad to destroy their precious bodily fluids. Any article or information about Jews suffering is distrusted because it might lend any credence at all to the notion that Israel exists to combat anti-semitism. Accepting the narrative that anti-semitism still exists means that they can no longer be 100% certain that Zionism is wrong in all instances, which means that they need to fight to keep that precious certainty. Most people don’t seem to want to put in the effort to listen to voices they’re trying to tune out in order to keep their sense of moral clarity. This is a pretty good article on confirmation bias and why it’s a problem. The way that internet communication works makes it easier for people to only hear the information they want to hear, while filtering out the information they don’t. Since there is some overlap between anti-anti-semitism and pro-Israel activism, many people tune out all anti-anti-semitism activism for fear of having their beliefs challenged, even though one can fight anti-semitism and still be anti-Israel. This fear is often so strong that anti-Israel activists are often willing to listen to NAZIS and KKK leaders before they will listen to Jews. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND.
4. Anti-Semitic Beliefs. Conscious or unconscious there are tons of anti-semitic ideas visible in the social justice movement. Many of them revolve around the ideas that Jews are all Rich and Jews control the Media. Those are stereotypes that aren’t true, but I’ve seen some people actually working backwards to make the case that, for example, Rupert Murdoch must be Jewish because he’s rich and is a major player in the media even though he is most definitely not Jewish. There is also a disproportionate focus on Jews who are rich and powerful and abusive like Sheldon Adelson while the Jewishness of anti-establishment figures like Naomi Klein is downplayed and ignored because she doesn’t play to stereotype. It’s also easier to tune out anti-semitism if you believe that Ashkenazim “aren’t real Jews” but Khazars which, even if that were true (which it most assuredly isn’t) wouldn’t rule out the fact that we were still murdered in the millions during the Holocaust for being Jews. But call anyone out on this and you’ll get a “anti-zionist not anti-semitic.” Again, they don’t want to risk having their confirmation bias exposed.
5. A Poor Understanding of Jewish Peoplehood as it Relates to Diaspora and Race. Tumblr social justice tends to be built on Critical Race Theory and Post-Colonial Theory. But in practice, one gets the feeling that most users really only engage in these concepts to the point where they understand two categories within each context: White/PoC and Colonizer/Indigenous. Jews, being a diasporic people for centuries, don’t neatly fit into either category. Most of us have lived in countries where we were not considered “indigenous” due to exile. As a result, over the millenia we have blended with many of the local populations resulting in genetically and culturally related groups that wouldn’t be considered the same “race” today. Critical Race Theory largely describes Racial politics within the United States. Post-Colonial Theory doesn’t do a very good job of dealing with diasporic populations whose indigineity has been rendered unspeakably complex due to residing as a frequently unwanted minority in other countries for centuries. What happens then is that Jews are frequently refugees, kicked out of various countries because the majority populations decided they didn’t want us. So where then do we have indigenous rights when the majority of us have been a refugee people for centuries? The denial of a safe home for Jews is an issue that many on the tumblr left simply don’t want to acknowledge or reckon with. So they act like Jews fleeing Nazism in the 1930s are no different than European colonialists who were looking for people and resources to exploit. They ignore the various persecutions against Jews in the Soviet Union because Communism is a popular meme. They ignore the expulsions of the Jews in the Middle East and North Africa because they have a hard time calling non-White Mizrahi and Sephardi Jews “European Colonialists.” They frequently confuse Ethiopian Jewish Israeli Citizens with Eritrean Refugees because they don’t understand the fundamental and important differences between the two groups and they don’t want to put in the effort to learn about either so long as they can condemn Israel for something.
6. Fighting Anti-Semitism Isn’t Seen as “Cool”. Fighting anti-semitism isn’t going to get your posts thousands upon thousands of notes. You’re more likely to get those results posting Hitler’s home movies. People who are motivated by tumblr fame don’t see a lot of popular posts about anti-semitism and therefore don’t think it’s worth the effort to get involved. Notice that popular posts about anti-semitism tend to be piling on celebrities they hate for other reasons or stuff that is bashing Nazis because everyone hates Nazis because, among other things, they’re White Supremacists. But dealing with contemporary anti-semitism? Especially as it manifests itself so frequently in contemporary social justice circles? It’s more likely to lose you followers than win you any. And as much as people on tumblr like to pretend that they’re trendsetters and iconoclasts, they’ve merely selected a different avenue for their groupthink. True iconoclasts will fight for something when it’s unpopular. And if you read a bit of a dare in there, it was quite intentional.