here’s my lapis redesign! rationale for what i changed below:
- lapis, unlike most other su characters, doesn’t really have a central “shape” to her design (garnet has squares, amethyst has circles, pearl has triangles, etc.). so, i chose teardrop shapes as the basis for this redesign. aside from the obvious drop shapes in her hairstyle, her “skirt” here makes a drop shape with her body, her body type is pear-shaped, and i gave her eyebrows (gems usually aren’t drawn with them) just so i could make them small, thick, and drop-shaped.
- i changed her to a deeper, more saturated blue because her colors in the show don’t really look like an actual lapis stone? lapis stones are deep blue, while show!lapis is all teals and cyans, like the sea (which is nice in keeping with her water motif, but it doesn’t reflect what the stone looks like and it’s prone to becoming neon in brighter shots). also i added small gold parts because lapis stones often have golden flecks in them
- (the gold freckles are in simple sets of three because i was trying to keep the design animatable. if this was to be animated, the golden flecks in her stone would not be drawn in shots further away from her)
- her outfit is supposed to look like a two-piece swimsuit with a towel wrapped around her waist, but more stylized. i kept the diamond motifs on her clothes because i liked how they worked those in in the show.
- her wings are less greenish because it looks better with the new color scheme. her eye shape, visible lips, and sharp teeth are mostly because i liked how they looked. i did keep her face shape and nose though.
- fun fact: the mirror would a golden color instead of a silvery one in this version
- it’s not shown here but i like the idea of her becoming melty when cracked (from the early storyboards). so. assume that.