Quick thought about Symbiosis
Dude, now that I have slept and am much calmer (although juuust a little), I think I can write an English post that is coherent in terms of sentence structure. (I think… LOL)
This film is already my favourite so far!! I mean to break it down in the future, but let me put this here as a quick reaction: this honestly has everything I wanted and it even surprised me in the sense that even the parts I thought I would honestly dislike are my easy my favourite of the whole movie now!
I have to admit the rewatch I’ve done recently has helped a lot in that department. This series is by no means something that I could understand just by watching and rewatching a couple of times, because every single time I do it something new - some new revelant detail - comes up. It’s just that kind of experience. Pretty much the same kind of relationship I’ve had with the classic series and 02 for the past 16 years I never left this fandom. If you are a casual watcher, I can see why you would be confused. But this being a 15th-digimon-anniversary commemoration project and a huge “thank you” from Toei for everybody who has supported the franchise all these years, this is exactly the kind of product I hoped, I honestly couldn’t expect more from them.
As to the theories I’ve had that I wanted answered they are as following:
- Theory that Meicoomon was related to Apocalymon somehow - CHECK! Her funny design so far has left me and some many I talk to on twitter (including @firstagent) intrigued and it feels DAMN GOOD to have that confirmed! Those helix patterns on her fur and her destructive power couldn’t have been just dumb coincidence.
- Dark Ocean and Demon theory - not check yet BUT THE DARK OCEAN IS OFFICALLY HERE oh my God, I am so scared for Himekawa now, she is officially in deep depression just like Ken was once and omg is she going to be possessed?! Is Demon the secret behind the 02 children getting attacked first?! We don’t know yet now with the Lovecraftian vibes around we’re SO CLOSE.
- Theory that the whole fighting between Taichi and Yamato was building up to something bad happening to Taichi - MOTHERFUCKING CHECK I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SHIT SINCE REUNION, I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT, SEE @cyclone5000 THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO WORK FOR TOEI AND WRITE THEIR CRAP! I am officially deceased, my inner TaiYama fan purrs just seeing Yamato with the goggles around his neck *sobs*
- Hikari standing up to the Homeostasis and REPELLING THEM LIKE A BOSS - CHECK, holy shit, it happened!! IT REALLY HAPPENED! Hikari told those damn selfish bastards that THE CHOSEN CHILDREN ARE THE ONES WHO GET TO DECIDE THEIR DESTINIES and this happened EXACTLY AS I WANTED SLDKÇFN (@50cyg Remember our conversation on private!?!? It happened exactly like that!!! I can’t wait for the next film, oh my God, Hikari’s trial has just began holy crap, the next film is going to be wild)
- Hikari going dark and unleashing a dark evolution - FUCK YES CHECK!! I’m not going to lie, I was very affraid that they would make her OOC just to answer to that whim of seeing her going “evil” but, oh my God, ADD TAICHI GETTING INJURED TO THE EQUATION AND IT ALL MAKES SO MUCH SENSE (shit son, Me and @yesyoshiposts and @dejitarugeeto02 have been talking about this before tri even existed. How Hikari would flip if something like this happened to Taichi and this is hell of satisfying!! Not only that, if the poster of the next film is any clue, it seems the Wizarmon topic will be brought up next film and oh my God, after what happened to Hikari AND TAILMON, damn! They’re going to slay us hard next time!! GET READY)
- Meiko’s redemption arc which is something I was impatiently waiting for - HELL YEEESSS, CHECK!!! Digimon Adventure tri is Meiko’s story, that has been obvious right and left from the very beginning and I question how much in denial you have to be to not have that figured out by now (lol). I mean, Digimon has a very long tradition of introducing news characters and new stories instead of just recycling old ones, is it really that surprising that tri has decided to walk the same path? Or that it develops the older characters, instead of making them static and boring? But I digress. I think Meiko’s voice actor was incredible in the sense that it really conveyed the growth of the character; Meiko sounds so so honest in this film! After all the secrets the character kept hiding, it’s honestly refreshing to see her open up and being herself around the group of Chosen Children at last. I had some fun listening to her speaking “Tottori dialect” around Taichi, albeit by accident - it really makes me realise how far she has gone to adjust to life in Tokyo.
I’m SO RELIEVED that I can now say I actually like Meiko, because two films ago I honestly didn’t even like her. This reminds me…back in the day I used to sort of hate Yamato’s attitudes and I couldn’t stand Mimi or Jou for the most various reasons. These characters used to get on my nerves in general, but as the story progressed, as I grew up, after many rewatches too, I started to understand them and to put myself in their shoes. Before I knew - after many rewatches and over the years - I learnt to actually love Yamato, Jou, and Mimi for various reasons. Just like all these Adventure characters, Meiko started with flaws and used to get on my nerves - he has just now started to grown on me, but I honestly feel like her charisma has improved over time, and she is now a solid Adventure character
I respect her a lot for deciding to kill Meicoomon too. Wow! If you think about it, it all comes down to this, and Digimon Adventure tri is basically a serious version of episodes 10 and 11 of Digimon Adventure 02 all over again, except it’s a very long saga of it for the adult audience of fans. Instead of “waking up” with Yamato’s punch to the face like Taichi did (which forced him to realise Agumon would rather die than stay controled by the Kaiser in 02), Meiko had to realise it herself that it was better to kill Meicoomon than to let her live and being nothing but a source of sadness to the ones Meicoomon herself loves the most!
And… damn son, this puts Yamato’s reactions in a rather funny place too. It proves this idea I get that he puts everybody’s feelings ahead of his own and that he deeply cares for literally everybody, BUT when it comes to Taichi IN PARTICULAR his reactions are almost always harsher, and most times he just takes his frustration out on his best friend even when Taichi isn’t the reason he is frustrated at all LOL. Not that this is news to me but it’s mindblowing to see it applied even to a big picture of this caliber! Taichi and Yamato’s relationship is one of a kind, I’m telling you!
AND I’m so GLAD to see Hikari and Taichi reaching to the same conclusions I did during my rewatch of Confessions recently, oh my God! That we don’t trully understand things before we go through them ourselves and that is the overall message of tri as well!! Like… damn, I’m not always prepared to see the characters I love the most this self-conscious, and it tells a lot about the direction of tri. Staff knows exactly what they are doing!
And by the way, I thought I would hate the whole shipping tease of Taichi and Meiko? But I actually liked it?!?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME LOL. I mean, had they intriduced this earlier, I am positive I would hate it to death, but now Meiko has gotten the treatment she deserved I’m SHOCKED THAT I LIKE IT. (Taichi and Yamato are still number one in my heart; so who the fuck cares) BUT I LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THE DIGIMON WHEN TAICHI TALKED TO MEIKO.
Let’s move on to other things I was hoping to see that this film has also covered:
- Human World VS Digital World situation with Chosen Children targeted by BOTH - HELL YES CHECK!! This is one of those situations that absolutely NEEDED to be there so the epilogue of 02 can finally happen in a manner that actually makes sense!!! The idea that digimon and humans started to live together 25 years later is laughable without problems happening first! It cannot possibly happen without a very difficult period of time where both sides clash and have troubles accepting each other! Both Human and Digimon worlds needed to clash first before it even remotely developed to that sort of scenario. And that’s not all: all of this will beautifully explain Taichi’s profession in the future once he decides to work hard for the relationship between humans and digimon to get better! THAT’S what a diplomat does!
And you know what’s fucking genius? It’s that they created Daigo and put him there especifically to allow us to imagine how will an adult Taichi be like!! It helps us understand that an adult version of a goggle-head attending to meetings isn’t necessarily detrimental to his personality or his charisma - it’s actually the other way around! It means Taichi will NEVER let go of the digital world even as an adult, and that it will heavily impact his future life! Just like it does with Daigo even to his days!! <3 It’s brilliant!
- AMBIGUITY IN GENERAL not just some Dark VS Light shit - CHEEEEEEEEECK, this is obviously related to Hikari and Taichi’s attitude towards the Homeostasis and Yggdrasil!! They decided to stop receiving orders and give less shits about them. Now they decided to do what THEY think is the right think to do! I fucking love Daigo yelling and telling the Homeostasis “These children are NOT your pawns to get rid of when they are no longer useful” It’s a topic I have always hoped for this series to bring up, and I’m pleasantly surprised that they have finally decided to! The Chosen Children are now officially ADULTS WHO DO WHAT THEY THINK IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO instead of just being little kids who do what adults tell them to. lol Now, our grown up children are the ones who get to decide what is right! It’s what they honestly want to do that matters. An important step into adulthood.
- MAKI WITH GUNS which honestly I didn’t even know I needed so it wasn’t originally in this list but - CHECK!!!! (LOL) It’s funny because I thought the topic about especial guns created to fight digimon had been forgotten - I can see that Himekawa has been carrying them around.
This shit demands MORE FANART of the kids with weapons istg lol It actually reminds me of some fanart I saw many years ago, where each chosen child carried a different weapon. I wonder if they got this idea from those???? XD
- I wasn’t expecting TAICHI scenes AT ALL but hell if I don’t welcome them, holy crap!! - CHECK, and oh my God they have been lacking so much, to such a degree I was starting to wonder WHEN Taichi would get the spotlight he needed. I mean THE USUAL TAICHI, the protagonist of this series! My precious son that takes a while to overcome his fears and insecurities but when he does he’s so nice to follow on screen. ;.; He’s been missed so much, and it’s stunning how they even took advantage of him to develop Hikari, holy crap. Now I am certain that Hikari’s moment has just begun and that it’s the next film that will focus on her and Tailmon, holy crap I will even forgive the poster teasing the focus on her for now lçdjfa THE NEXT POSTER HAS WIZARMON’S HAT. We all theorized about Wizarmon showing up this movie, it never crossed my mind that he could only show up the next one instead. LOL
AAAAND and I think I’m going to stop here, even though I have much more things to say and to think about. but I have only watched this ONCE and I need to rewatch before I talk about other things.
THANK YOU TOEI ANIMATION FOR MAKING ME SO HAPPY LOL