morpheus is the god of sleep and dreams. he has the ability to send dreams to others. because of this, the drug morphine is named after him–beautiful, reckless, and dreamy. he is known for his hopefulness and the glint in his eyes, rash but praying that the person next to him won’t leave, that he or she will sit and talk and dream with him.
You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world. You don’t know what it is, but it’s there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
So it’s come to my attention not a lot of people know much about Morpheus and his brothers, so I thought I would make a post about them (mostly Morpheus though). It can also be really frustrating finding info on them.
First off, some basics. Morpheus is the Greek God of dreams, and the dreams he sends can sometimes be prophetic. He is the leader of the Oneiroi, which includes his brothers Phobetor (nightmare God), Phantasus (fake or illusional dream God) and Ikelos (ultra realistic dream God).
He is the son of Hypnos (God of sleep) and there isn’t a lot of info on who his mother is, though Pasithea is often mentioned. His grandmother is Nyx (Goddess of Night) and his uncle is Thanatos (God of Death). He is far to busy a God for a wife, though some legends are content to call Iris (Goddess of Rainbows) his lover.
Morpheus and his brothers take the form of dark winged daemons, but Morpheus also has the ability to shape shift into a perfect replication of any man, but only men.
Morpheus is a chthonic God, which means he lives in the underworld. He has his own realm in the underworld and it is said only the Olympic Gods were allowed there, as Morpheus is said to be very protective of his family.
Ok, so here are some ideas for offerings for Morpheus:
-Poppies! It is said he sleeps on a bed of poppy seeds in a cave.
-Feathers, since both wings and poppies often represent him
-Drawings. When I wasn’t able to get my hands on the actual items I offered drawings
-You could probably offer up sand, as it has to do with sleep
-Oil and water, the usual stuff
-I’m sure once you get to know him you could find some other things
Some other facts:
- In his realm there is the river of oblivion and the river if forgetfulness, both guarded by fearsome monsters that can take the form of unwanted visitors fears.
- I’ve read the gates to the underworld have poppies outside of them.
- Some people say Morpheus and his brothers were given wings by their uncle Thanatos, but there are some who say they were wing born
- Some representations say that the Oneiroi were Nyx’s children, but I am more inclined to believe they are Hypnos’s kids.
- The pain relief medication morphine borrowed it’s name from Morpheus
- He is often called the shaper of dreams
- a common expression is ‘In Morpheus’s Arms’
- There is supposed to be a lot of info on him in Ovid’s Metamorphosis
- There are some beliefs that Phobetor and Ikelos are the same God, but I personally believe they are separate.
The Matrix is a system, Neo… But when you’re inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system… You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world. You don’t know what it is, but it’s there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.