5 things to not do when someone tells you they have an autoimmune disease.
1. Pretend like you know what’s best, unless you have a medical degree.
2. Tell them that you hope they don’t die (I’m not kidding, this happened).
3. Parent them. I’m 23, I know my own body, don’t treat me like a kid. I’ve got this.
4. It’s cool to ask me if I’m okay, nice even, but when I say “I’m fine” don’t say “Are you sure? I know you”. If you knew me, you’d know even if I wasn’t fine not to ask me again. If I need to talk, I will.
5. Try and compare your experience with a chronic cough/flu/urine infection. It’s not the same thing.