I’m seeing so many people sad or otherwise unsure on how to feel about Star Wars so I just thought I would share some things that I love about it. No real spoilers ahead!
1) These movies are about all of the various skywalkers being total disasters, which is absolutely hilarious to me. Like, this is pretty much Keeping Up With The Skywalkers
2) The Skywalker Screwups are all Dramatic and Extra af, as is pretty much every single other sentient creature in the galaxy far far away (the gffa)
3) The Jedi are amazing. They’re like… space Buddhist monks, except they’re also wizards with heavy wool robes. And laser swords
4) They keep dramatically disrobing before fights and I would really like to know about whichever space roomba picks up after these various Jedi and also non Jedi Skywalkers
5) real world (sorry, America centric) implications and allegories. I’ll be damned if no man in the New Republic Senate never said “Nevertheless, She Persisted” regarding Leia. Also, the death of democracy and being led by a maniac with a fondness for ostentatious gold or a maniac with questionable hair. 2 real
6) Obi Wan Kenobi. Just…. everything about him.
7) Old Obi Wan’s quietly hidden sass and his Most Extra way of dying in the least satisfying way possible for the dude he was fighting
8)… who happens to be Darth Vader, the most extra man in the whole gffa, who makes his cloak billow using the Force and who rides On Top Of Tie Fighters just to look especially dramatic and imposing. Obi Wan out-Extra’d that guy.
9) Leia Organa and every single thing about her. She can out extra anyone any time she pleases but saves it for the Most Dramatic time possible. Nobody else even comes close
10) the bad guys. All of them. They’re all so ridiculous and just bad because they’re bad! Tragic backstory whomst!!! Palpatine is just here for that Throne and the sweet sweet feel of power and money!!! And space lightning. Snoke? Snoke doesn’t give a fuck! He’s just here for the shiny gold robes and throne room that is at once Ridiculous and Dramatically Lit and also Minimalist. Snoke probably goes on Pinterest!!
11) The Power Of Love And Friendship™️. I love it. I live for these tropes okay. Movies with morals about friendship and hope and love and getting back up if you fail are my jam. Star Wars is the best because it does all that but there are also space wizards with laser swords
12) force ghosts. Nobody really dies in the gffa if they’re on the Good side. They will come back and haunt the latest Skywalker Screwups™️ for GENERATIONS to come. Somebody tell Obi Wan and Yoda and Qui Gon to go to bed. Let them rest!!!!!
13) Explosions that make no sense at all. Who cares!! It’s space!! Blow shit up!!! Make it look Cool!
14) Star Wars is forever. I mean. This franchise celebrated FORTY YEARS this year. This thing has spanned three generations and makes room for more, both in its own context with its characters and for us
15) in that vein, I love The Force Awakens for exactly that reason. I didn’t get into sw for some reason when the prequels came out and was the dumb little kid who disliked what my parents liked on principle because it was old, just look at those graphics and puppets. Terrible! But then tfa came out in 2015, and because my best friend was so hyped I decided to give in and try to at least watch the previous movies so I could make heads or tails of this new one that was about to be released. So because TFA was made, I binge watched two trilogies and six plus seasons of The Clone Wars and was completely and overwhelmingly in love. The Force Awakens was the first Star Wars movie I saw in the theaters and I was swept off my feet by the flight of the Millennium Falcon and the gentle melody of Rey’s Theme. Yeah, its plot was extremely familiar, but I don’t mind, because it was meant to hold my hand and lead me and a new generation of Star Wars fans into the gffa.
And also Poe and Finn. The added diversity is huge huge huge for me. There’s little representation otherwise, which is sad (except Queen Jamillia and many many names and cultures across Star Wars - but they’re all wearing white faces, whether painted or natural). And now The Last Jedi gives us Paige and Rose Tico, who are both incredibly meaningful characters to the Resistance, who are both named and loved by other characters.