Gift season approaches, and I’ve been struggling on how best to spend what little money I have on all the people in my life who I want to give holiday presents to. I’m sure I’m not the only one with this problem… so I thought I’d share some ideas.
1. Mix CDs - make your friends/family a mix CD with handmade cover artwork. If you can’t afford a stack of CDs, make a virtual CD and share the mp3s with them over Dropbox.
2. Homemade Cookies - Spending $7 on baking ingredients allows you to make a large batch of simple cookies. Divide them and use as gifts for multiple people. Throw on a handmade card and WHAM you got yourself a spiffy gift.
3. Cooking supplies - I’m not talking top of the line Kitchen Aid shit. Go to your local dollar store and buy things like wooden spoons, platters, funny mugs for under $5. Everyone needs at least some cooking supplies!
4. Cacti - Don’t go to a nursery, go to a grocery or department store with a plant section. Cacti are some of the cheapest and easiest to maintain plants, they only really need to be watered once or twice a week. And they look awesome. If the person you had in mind likes to cook, you might want to consider buying them some sort of herb like rosemary or thyme.
5. Bulk food - This might not work for everybody, but I’m sure your broke roommate wouldn’t object to a bulk package of ramen or mac and cheese. They sell 12 packs of ramen at my local dollar store for $1 each. ONE DOLLAR FOR TWELVE MEALS.
6. Unused Books - I’m betting that there’s a book in your apartment/dorm room that’s in perfect condition, but for whatever reason that you will never use again. Wrap it in some gift wrap and scrape off the price tag.
7. Spa Day - For those of you in relationships (or who feel safe touching your close friends/family in that way) make mock “spa coupons”. Offer services such as manicures/pedicures, hair stylings, massages, etc.
8. Use your talents - Are you an artist or musician of any sort? Make a piece of artwork or write a song. Buy a large piece of poster paper at Home Depot for $5 and make a funny collage full of inside jokes that only your friends will understand. Are you a knitter? Make mittens for people.
9. Weird clothing - Go to your local Salvation Army or Goodwill and spend a couple hours combing the shelves for weird items. Funny t-shirts, strange hats, etc. Don’t go to department stores looking for clothing, it’ll be too expensive.
10. “Fancy” Meal - Spend $20 and invite several friends/family members over for a fancy dinner. You don’t need to be a chef or to spend lots of money to make something “fancy”, just make the atmosphere “fancy”. Make pasta with some sort of red sauce and possibly meat. Insist that everyone dresses up, light candles, play jazz standards, take pictures- make a real night of it.
ALSO! If you can’t afford gift wrap use newspaper.
I FUCKING MET CHRISTINE AND ELIJAH AND I GAVE CHRISTINE A BADAZZLED NYC HAT AND ELIJAH A CONDUM WITH DONALD TRUMP ON IT THAT SAYS “I’M HUUUGGEEEE” AND ELIJAH THOUGHT IT WAS SO FUNNY HE PUT IT ON HIS STORY AND I TALKED TO THEM FOR A LITTLE WHILE IM SO FUCKING HAPPY THEY’RE THE GREATEST PEOPLE AND ELIJAH WAS SO KIND I COULD TELL CHRISTINE WASNT REALLY HERSELF AND I THINK SHE WAS JUST TIRED AND SHE HATES NYC SO ITS FINE IM JUST BEYOND THRILLED THAT I GOT TO MEET THEM AND ELIJAH ACTUALLY WANTED TO TALK TO ME WE’RE NOW BEST FRIENDS THEY ARE SUCH BEAUTIFUL HUMAN BEINGS WOW
How to turn your boring money gift into something special x 💸
- Dollar bill
- Creative hands
Step 1. Crease the bill horizontally down the middle and fold both the top and bottom sides inward
Step 2. Take the upper side and fold a little piece behind
Step 3. Fold the two corners over, just like the picture is showing. Later, these corners are used to keep the shirt in place
Step 4. Take the opposite side of where we were working on earlier and bring it over
Step 5. Flip again and make sure it goes underneath the collar, this must be the case otherwise you can’t complete the shirt
Step 6. Unfold the last 2 steps
Step 7. Here’s where it gets a little trickier. Pay close attention. You are now back to the long section, use the first fold line to fold the sleeves. Fold out and crease back so that it winds up looking like you popped a sleeve out of the side
Step 8. Now fold back up like you did in step 4 and 5
I am looking for a cute and creative Underswap!Sans design so I can then create a high quality felt plushie.
Winner will receive the first plushie created for free! PLUS be payed $50 for their time spent creating the design.
Send me a message with a DOODLE or simple “PROFILE” SKETCH of your design, simple and clean, it’ll be just like drawing fanart. I will need the front AND back of the US!Sans. If you have any questions you are very welcome to message me and ask for help and references.
This event starts on Thursday April 6th
And ends on Monday April 17th.
On Tuesday April 18th the winner will be announced (unless winner decides to remain anonymous) once chosen the winner will be given up to one month to FINISH the design: coloring, detailing, etc (will need high resolution for the final piece.)
Once done and submitted , the artist shall receive $50 for their time.
The finished design will belong to me.
Winner will be kept up to date with the plushie process and once done it will be immediately delivered, I will pay for shipping costs.
ANY QUESTIONS? Don’t hesitate to ask!
Thank you and good luck.
I take pride in my work. I love making my art and I love making that art for other people.
But there have been some people who have just REALLY ticked me off.
I will not call anyone out on this, but if you think this post is about you, it probably is.
1. Reblog the art you request. Likes are just the *seen* notification. It’s depressing.
2. DON’T BEFRIEND SOMEONE SO THEY CAN GIVE YOU ART
3. Giving away other people’s art as gifts, even if the piece was made for you specifically, is stealing and it’s wrong.
4. Some artists are stuck in an awkward phase where the only people who are giving them the attention they need for their work are the slave drivers like the ones mentioned above and they can’t say “no” to them because without their requests, they may never get noticed in the art world as a professional artist who gets an income of some sort.
I know I’ll be stepping on some toes with this post, but I have had enough. This is MY ART and what you are asking of me is UNFAIR. If you don’t like it just remember that I am not an art producing machine in your computer. I am a human being who has a life and would like to pay the bills.