It took me a long time to understand myself as femme because I’m a man, and to understand myself as a man, because of my femininity. Misogyny, being the fear or hatred of women or femininity, can...
I get asked a bunch for resources - so I’m slowly compiling them around a variety of topics:
It took me a long time to understand myself as femme because I’m a man, and to understand myself as a man, because of my femininity. Misogyny, being the fear or hatred of women or femininity, can manifest in many different ways. I can perpetuate sexism myself, and also I am the recipient of misogyny because I’m effeminate. I’m so grateful for fabulous femmes and women and their powerful resistance to misogyny and sexism. I hope to keep learning how to unpack sexism in my own behaviour and learning how to be ally to women and other femme folks, as well as increasingly unleash my effeminate fabulousness. Here are some great reads as well as some useful ally stuff.
I’ll add new things as I come across them – my website (Sunny Drake www.sunnydrake.com ) will the most up-to-date place:
ONLINE ARTICLES & VIDEOS
Femme Invisibility: On Passing Right by Your People and Not Being Recognized
It’s so important to unlearn misogyny/ sexism in queer communities.
4 ways to support queer femmes
Good article on how to be an ally and challenge misogyny/ sexism, or at least how not to be an asshole.
- Powerful Photos Fearlessly Redefine What It Means to Be LGBTQIA+
I love these images showing how wide ranging queer identities are.
- Femme Lesbian invisibility Video
BLOGS & BOOKS
- Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity, edited by Chloe (with 2 dots above the e) Brushwood Rose and Anna Camilleri
- Piece of my Heart, anthologized by Makeda Silvera
- Dirty River by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
- Femmes of Power: Exploding Queer Femininities by Ulrika Dahl
- Femme: feminist lesbians & bad girls by Laura Harris & Elizabeth Crocker
- The Persistence of Desire by Joan Nestle
- Persistence edited by Zena Sharman & Ivan E. Coyote
- Heels on Wheels Roadshow http://www.heelsonwheelsroadshow.com/
MY BLOG ARTICLES:
I’ve also written some relevant blog articles:
- Femme Ally Conversation Starter
This is a conversation starter (continuer?) on how to be ally and challenge misogyny/ sexism, aimed primarily at trans-masculine, trans-male and masculine of centre peoples. It is equally application to other cis men unpacking misogyny/ sexism and working on ally skills.
- And So Shall Our Heels Till the Earth
- My Boyfriend is a Lady
About my experiences a queer effeminate man who is partnered to a woman and how people are constantly confused about my sexuality because of my effeminacy
- the Boy Tit Finale Summer Collection
A series of photos celebrating my beautiful chest before I had top surgery through adorning it with fabulous outfits.
femme, ally, conversation starter, fabulous, queer, pansy, trans, misogyny, misog, sexism, sunnydrake, sunny drake, sunny, drake, queer, transgender, transgender artist, trans artist, queer artist, trans performer, queer performer, transgender performer, trans writer, transgender writer, queer writer, transgender theatre, trans theatre, queer theatre, theater, LGBT education, trans education, queer politics, trans politics, bloc, transgender politics, LGBT politics, toronto, canada, australia, tumblr, sexual, sex, sexuality, assault, sexual assault, anti-racism, violence, dude, ally, misogyny, sobriety, hand puppet, acts, contact, articles, authored, committed, responsible, feedback, reputation, profile, link, posted, author