Here are some fabulous shojo romance choices to keep you warm and cuddly! Enjoy! (No particular order)
Haru No Ride
Reason to read: The struggles the characters face are real. Futaba struggles with her identity, and Kou with his family and self-worth. We get to see these two characters fall in love and get many satisfying romantic moments!
Wolf Girl and Black Prince
Reason to read: At first, I wasn’t a fan of this one, but I am glad I gave it a second chance because this manga is freaking fantastic. The dynamic between the two has a rocky start but romance and reciprocated feelings soon ensure. Another great thing is that this manga actually mentions (and may in the future show) sex, unlike many shojo that tend to pretend that it does not exist.
Ouran High School Host Club
Reason to read: If you haven’t seen the fabulous anime, then go watch it and come back and read it. Your welcome. If you have seen it, then we all know what that final scene was missing. Do not fret! For this manga continues the antics and the romance! Everything from the characters to the plot are perfect in this manga and I can say with complete confidence that this manga has the most satisfying, heart-warming ending of any manga I have ever read.
Reason to read: I do not play an instrument and have never listened to classical music, but this manga gave me a profound appreciation for that world. Nodame is by far the most unique and interesting heroine I have come across in manga, and her relationship with Chiaki is great because the love takes a while to blossom, but that makes it a lot sweeter. There is a 3 season long anime series that I watched and enjoyed and I actually do believe that watching it might be a better option because this show does involve music, but the manga has a lot of spicy details that are fun to come back to after watching!
Reason to read: This manga is not everyone’s cup of tea, but those who like it LOVE it! The reason this manga polarizes people is because both protagonists are extremely quiet and shy, so we get a lot of glimpses into their thoughts and wishes, but not a lot of actual dialogue. The reason everyone should give it a try is because it really is an accurate depiction of the struggles of shy love and is really well drawn and cute.
Reason to read: Nanami proves that a cute face and dainty demeanor does not define her level of strength. Tomoe and her relationship grow so naturally and the special circumstances they are in makes the reader really want to root for them.
Reason to read: Hori and Miyamura show each other sides of themselves that no one knows and they become essential parts of each others lives. They are so freaking cute together!
Your Lie in April
Reason to read: First of all, I REALLY recommend watching the anime first. Our protagonists are musicians so if you actually want to hear their music, the anime is the best option. I would recommend reading the manga after watching the anime if you want to relive the pain good feelings. The strange thing about this show/manga is that technically, it is categorized as a “shonen” which automatically makes me think of lots of boobs and butts, but this show is an innocent and lovely choice for any reader! WARNING: sadness inside.
Kaichou wa Maid Sama!
Reason to read: Misaki is one of the most kick-ass girl characters. She juggles being the student council president with great grades and a job at a maid cafe all while her home life crumbles. Usui and Misaki are one of my favorite manga couples because they truly deserve each other!
Akagami no Shirayukihime
Reason to read: Shirayuki may look like a weakling, but she is actually mentally strong and incredibly brave. I have not read too much of this manga yet, but so far I like what I see, and since I always spoil stuff for myself, I know for a fact that love is around the river bend!
Cherry Boy, That Girl
Reason to Read: First of all, this is a Korean manhwa, not a manga, so you read it left to right. This freaking work of art…I love this manhwa. It has it all, twists, turns, love, deceit, tricks, and treats galore, all wrapped up in fully colored chapters!
Reason to read: OMGGGGG. It all started when Kujou knocked Yanagi off of his high-horse by beating him in almost everything: school, sports, and the like. Yanagai was one of those boys who has talent, but mostly gets what he wants because he is rich. Then Kujou comes out of nowhere and with her ordinary, plain-jane looks steals his pride without really trying at all. From that moment, Yanagi has followed Kujou to high school and now college to try to win the Last Game. Yanagi is the true gem of this manga because unlike in many shojo romances, it is actually told from the boy’s perspective and the boy falls in love first.
Reason to read: This is literally the epitome of the classic “competition –> love” scenario…and I love it. The charm of this manga is all of the different love stories that blossom between all of the other characters. There is a good anime for this show, but the manga is a tad better.
(in no particular order) Got tagged by @lucielhyung to do this challenge~
1) Usui x Misaki - Usui is always there for Misaki. He saves her whenever there’s trouble and providing company when things are tough for her. Misaki is always doing things on her own through hardwork and effort while Usui supports her no matter what. Misaki cares for Usui and wants to help him with whatever she can do. Together they make each other a better person. Someone like Misaki will always be perfect to Usui.
2) Gray x Juvia - These two support one another when things are rough while going through different obstacles that lead them to where they are today. They both will put their life on the line for one another, as long as the other is alive and well. Both support each other through tough times and make each other a better person.
3) Natsu x Lucy - These two have been through so much together and will risk their life for the other person. They care about each other deeply and lead each other to better themselves. Best friends and soulmates are what I describe these two.
4) Kousei x Kaori - The love these two have for one another ties in with their passion for music. They support their love for music and one another when it comes to anything they choose to do. Kaori was meant to be in Kousei’s life to lead him to the light. Kousei and Kaori have such a beautiful relationship that revolves how impacting music and love can be to a person.
5) Kou x Yoshioka - First loves can be so beautiful, that’s
why I love these two so much. Even though they separated, the distance didn’t
stop what they felt about one another. The conflicts that arose in their lives
overcame in the end since they loved each other no matter what.