[TG: emotional and physical abuse, attempted sexual assault, mentioned suicide]
I have finally finished Caraval and I have so many mixed feelings about it! On one hand I really enjoyed the setting and the plot twists but on the other there were so many things that annoyed me.
- This book has been compared with the The Night Circus so I had very high expectations going into the story. I agree with similarity in the mysterious and magical setting that makes you question reality. But The Night Circus is unique in so many regards and I don’t think it’s fair for Caraval to be compared with it, otherwise people will go into the story with expectations that are different from what it truly is.
- I wasn’t a huge fan of Garber’s writing style. Sometimes it got way too repetitive especially when it came to Scarlett and her constant dialogue regarding her sister. I also feel like the author was trying too hard to be poetic and atmospheric but ended up being too superficial.
- [SPOILER] I also feel like the relationship between Scarlett and Julian was quite rushed, forced and unnecessary and there are certain scenes that the book could definitely have gone without [such as kissing scenes when the characters should have been focusing on fleeing].
- I appreciated the focus on sibling relationships and how the sisters would go to the ends of the earth to protect each other. Reading about their relationship with their father was truly horrible: to see a man treat his daughters like objects is just too awful to comprehend and I’m glad Garber tackled this important subject.
- My favourite characters by far are Julian and Tella and they are the main reasons why I will definitely continue on with this series! I hope the second book will focus a lot more on their perspectives because I think they have so much to offer.
-All in all Caraval is an interesting read with a very wonderful concept but it’s definitely not a favourite of mine. I hope the second book will be worth waiting for!