This is in Gatlinburg, TN tonight. The city is on fucking fire, and I’m seeing very little coverage of it. There’s also fire behind and across the street from Ripley’s aquarium. That’s thousands of animals left behind. People are losing their homes. Honestly this breaks my heart.
As of tonight (Nov. 29), the Barker Lounge can shelter dogs because of the fires. Their number is 1-865-771-3738.
As of now, here are the evacuation centers: LeConte Center at Pigeon Forge, Pigeon Forge Community Center, Liberty Baptist Church in Wears Valley and Iglesia Cristiana LaDuz De Jesus.
If there are horses or mules that need to be evacuated, call 865-388-6886. Be warned that this is only one man that has volunteered to do this that I know of. There may be more. He may be able to point you in the right direction.
Facebook has activated the safety check in.
If possible, send food and water to the shelters there. They also will accept Gatorade. Consider sending baby food as well. You should also want to contact the Barker Lounge and similar places to see about sending food for animals. They have also specifically requested crates for the animals. Please get together with your local businesses and charities to organize drives. I can update this once I know more about doing this.
Here is an updated list of centers:
- LeConte Center at Pigeon Forge
- Liberty Baptist Church in Wears Valley
- Pigeon Forge Community Center
- Iglesia Cristiana LaDuz De Jesus
- The First Red Bank Baptist Church in Sevierville
- First Baptist Church of Sevierville (317 Parkway, Sevierville)
- River Plantation RV Resort and Anchor Down RV resort are open to assist with any campers being evacuated
- Trinity Baptist Church (1995 Hartford rd. Cosby, TN)
- Douglas Lakeville Stables at 1650 Providence rd. in Sevierville, TN is offering to pasture any displaced livestock and animals. You can contact Kristi at 864-671-8439. They are working with others for the transportation
- The Barker Lounge is open all night to board dogs displaced
According to the Gatlinburg Fire Chief, the fires are mostly contained, and the worst is over.
All 11,000 of the animals at Ripley’s Aquarium are safe and cared for.
Over 250 structures were damaged. The worst of the damage was in the surrounding areas, downtown is more intact. Close to 170,000 acres were burned.
I would also like to thank the firefighters and volunteers that ensured the safety of people in the area. I would also like to thank the places that are taking in displaced animals
There are now 3 deaths and 14 injuries. They are still searching the area. The fire is still burning, but the flames are now closer to the ground.
HOW TO HELP:
The Gatlinburg Relief Fund has been established at SmartBank. Donations can be dropped off at any location or mailed to:
- P.O. Box 1910
- Pigeon Forge, TN 37868
- Gatinburg Relief Fund
- Call 865-453-2650 for more information.
The American Red Cross is accepting donations for evacuees and first responders to the Sevier County fire.The organization is accepting donations at the Pigeon Forge Fire Hall Station 1 at 3229 Rena Street in Pigeon Forge. The Red Cross is not looking for untrained volunteers, but is accepting monetary donations. People can make a $10 donation by texting “REDCROSS” to 90999. Essentially they do not want anyone else to come and visit or offer help. The danger is still very real.
- Families can register on the American Red Cross website to find each other.
Pigeon Forge city officials have said they have received substantial donations of food/drink/toiletries. The need for those items is no longer as great. So they request that you contribute monetarily for now.
The City of Pigeon Forge Relief Fund
- will update this when I can find link/phone number
- Toys for Tots will have a sign up for victims and their families (865-254-3911, 2719 Northview Academy Lane in Kodak)
Places accepting donations:
- Knoxville Expo Center (5441 Clinton Highway in Knoxville, (865)686-3200 or (865)919-8114) – will accept tooth brushes, tooth paste, water, baby wipes, dog food, kennels and more
- Northview Academy (2719 Northview Academy Lane, Kodak, TN 37764, (865) 933-5880)
- Ryder Vehicle Sales is also accepting donations at its location at 7509 Strawberry Plains Pike in Knoxville
- Clubhouse Ministries – 2 drop off centers for donations. One outside of Kroger and one outside of Food City in Seymour
- Knoxville Civic Auditorium and Coliseum – looking for cases of water and Gatorade; pre-packaged, non-perishable food items, toiletry items, blankets, diapers and formula. Drop off at Coliseum box office (extended hours:Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Purpose Church in Pigeon Forge – has a truck from operation compassion drop off at their church location,1038 Charlottes Court with cases of water and food. (865-428-0026 or visit www.purposechurchpf.com )
These are only a few of the donation centers, please look locally as well.