But your kisses aren’t enough to keep your kids in line So you better straighten out yourself and give your baby time ‘Cause if you don’t give her what she needs She’ll get it where she can 'cause she’s lonely, man Don’t don’t leave yourself alone for too many days Sooner than you know you’re gonna start slipping
Lord, this was hard. So much good music this year! If you like HAIM, Chance the Rapper, Drake, or Darkside you’re out of luck.
50. Christopher Owens - Lysandre
49. David Bowie - The Next Day
48. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
47. Bastille - Bad Blood
46. Jagwar Ma - Howlin’
45. Disclosure - Settle
44. The Knife - Shaking the Habituals
43. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
42. London Grammar - If You Wait
41. Savages - Silence Yourself
40. My Bloody Valentine - mbv
39. Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends
38.Ty Segall - Sleeper
37. Cayucas - Bigfoot
36. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
35. Yuck - Glow and Behold
34. Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time
33. Of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar
32. Cage the Elephant - Melophobia
31. White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade
30. St. Lucia - When the Night
29. The Strokes - Comedown Machine
28. Local Natives - Hummingbird
27. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
26. Lorde - Pure Heroine
25. Cults - Static
24. Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action
23. Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe
22. Toro Y Moi - Anything in Return
21. Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse
20. Rhye - Woman
19. Kanye West - Yeezus
18. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
17. Mikal Cronin - MCII
16. James Blake - Overgrown
15. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
14. Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
13. Washed Out - Paracosm
12. Deerhunter - Monomania
11. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
TOP TEN TIME:
10. Majical Cloudz - Impersonator
I’m so glad I was able to catch this band live this year. This minimalist album catches your attention and never lets go.
9. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
Phoenix follows up their masterpiece with an album that shifts direction in their sound.
8. Volcano Choir - Repave
JUSTIN VERNON HAS A SIDE PROJECT?!?! WHAT IS LIFE?!?! Apparently there is life outside of Bon Iver, and it is a good life indeed.
7. Kurt Vile - Wakin On a Pretty Daze
Beautiful record..how this guy isn’t playing larger venues is beyond me.
6. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
The National reinvent the wheel and create a fantastic album #5 that is slightly more uplifting than previous albums. You go, The National.
5. Arctic Monkeys - AM
The most consistent record you will hear all year. Arctic Monkeys sound different, but they’ve never sounded better.
4. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
Reviews were mixed on this album, which I really don’t understand. I literally couldn’t stop dancing.
3. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
Best psychedelic music you’ll hear all year, with some Jon Spencer flair in there to mix it up. Really want to see these guys.
2. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Ah, Arcade Fire. What a record. I was scared of this record when I heard that James Murphy was producing, but it turns out to be the smartest artistic move AF has ever made. Love the new direction that the band is headed in, and I cannot WAIT to see them in May.
1. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
You knew this was coming right? This record is flawless. Never in my life have I had an easier choice to pick #1. It’s hard to pick an aspect of this album that I like the most, but I believe the award would go to Ezra’s lyrics. There is some heavy, deep stuff on this album, and it has established itself as one of the greatest records of my lifetime. From beginning to end, this album is loaded with hits and variations on the “Vampire Weekend formula”. They’re 3 for 3 with great albums, and it’s anyone’s guess on where they go from here. Kudos to Vampire Weekend.
The Hate List will come soon. (I’m coming for you, HAIM.)