The French government has officially begun dismantling the infamous “Jungle” migrant camp in the French city of Calais, which houses roughly 6,000 people and has been a potent symbol of Europe’s refugee crisis.
About 2,000 of the camp’s residents, most of whom are from Africa and Afghanistan, left on buses voluntarily on Monday. Hundreds more have been following them out of the camp on Tuesday, the second full day of the operation.
1. CLAIRE THOMAS/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
2. PHILIPPE HUGUEN/AFP/Getty Images
3. CHRISTOPHER FURLONG/Getty Images
4. DENIS CHARLET/AFP/Getty Images
5. CHRISTOPHER FURLONG/Getty Images
6. MICHAEL DEBETS/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images
7. JACK TAYLOR/Getty Images