also, Elizabeth Warren?? Elizabeth Warren. y’all motherfuckers went after Elizabeth Warren reading Coretta Scott King??? REALLY??? I would rip my own arm off and beat someone with it if Elizabeth Warren told me to, except she would never do that because she’s classy af, and this turtle motherfucker thought shutting HER down was a good idea?!?! they think we’re gonna get tired after y’all silenced Elizabeth Warren. what the fuck.
Warnings: Swearing, a bit of angst, fluff, implied smut, kissing,
A/N: First imagine of the night! This one was a lot fun to write! Some of these scenes are from past Lafayette imagines I have wrote and other are from ones that I’ve been planning on writing/working on. Thank you for reading! Have a happy New Year!
“I can’t believe it’s already going to be a new year.” Laf sighed, his chin placed on your shoulder and his arms wrapped around your waist from behind.
“Me either. This has been the best year of my life, I don’t want it to end.” You agreed, looking around your room of friends.
“As long as I’m with you, I’m sure the years can only get better.” Laf grinned, kissing your cheek as you giggled.
“Hey lovebirds! Save it for midnight!” Alex yelled, giving the two of you a playful glare.
“Says you! You haven’t been able to keep your hands off your wife all night.” Laf yelled back, Alex blushing a bright red.
“We’ve been together for a couple years now, we have the right to all the PDA we want!” Alex defended himself and his wandering fingers.
“We’ve only had a year together, we’re still in puppy love stage. That means we get the real right to do as much PDA as we want!” Laf retorted, the two held each other’s stare for a couple minutes before bursting in laughter.
“Midnight is in a couple minutes you two. Remember it’s just supposed to be a kiss not a full fledged make out session. Understand?” Alex fake scolded Laf and you.
“Yeah we understand, no promises though.” Lafayette winked.
“If you’re not making promises then I guess I don’t have to either!” Alex laughed, spotting Eliza from across the room. “I gotta go, but I’ll talk to you after all the smooching is done.”
“He is such a weirdo…” You trailed off, watching as Alex hurried over to Eliza’s side like a lost child.
“Without him, we would have never met at that library last January.” Laf said, moving from behind you to your side.
“I guess we owe the whole past year to him.” You smiled, leaning into Laf’s side.
“The countdown is starting!” Hercules yelled from the kitchen.
You looked at Laf to see his loving eyes already locked on you. Even though it had only been a year, you couldn’t imagine your life without Laf. The memories of the past year began flooding into your mind as the people around you began to countdown to the new year.
“Oh, sorry! Excuse me.” Laf apologized, turning away from Alex and towards the person he had ran into.
“You’re fine, sir.” You smiled, getting ready to walk away from him.
Lafayette’s heart fluttered when he saw the smile on your face. He wanted to get to know you. There was something that was drawing him to you. He was entranced by your every movement.
Noticing Laf’s gaze, Alex nudged Laf forward. “Go make your move.” Alex encouraged.
“Excuse me, mon amour!” Laf yelled, chasing after you down one of the aisles of the library. “My name is Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette…but you can just call me Laf or Lafayette. Um, you are very beautiful….may I know your name?” Laf asked blushing brightly.
“(Y/N) (L/N), it’s very nice to meet you Laf.” You giggled extending a hand for him to take.
“May I join, (Y/N)?” Laf asked, trying not to show how nervous he was.
“Of course.” You grinned.
“No way!” You laughed, clutching your stomach in pain.
“You don’t believe me? I’m being serious! George Washington goes to the karaoke bar every single weekend!” Laf said, looking down at where your head sat on his lap.
“Every single weekend he’s up there singing stupid songs?” You asked, trying to stop your laughing fit.
“He’s actually really good.” Laf said, lightly running his hands through your hair.
“Laf?” You asked, the joking atmosphere in the room disappearing.
“Hm?” Laf hummed, his hands still moving softly and slowly through your hair.
“What are we? One second we’re acting like a couple and the next we act like it never happened…Laf I like you, I like you a lot and I can’t keep pretending this isn’t happening.” You sighed, a weight from your chest being lifted as you talked.
“I like you too, ma moitie, I’ve just been scared.” Laf paused looking for the right words. “I want us to be together, I just didn’t know…”
“Laf, I want us to be together.” You said quietly.
Laf leaned down and pressed his lips softly against yours. It was a short kiss, but it was sweet and the perfect first kiss to have with him.
“I can’t believe you would do that!” You huffed, stomping into your apartment.
“I don’t understand what I did wrong!” Laf groaned, shutting the door behind him.
“You were all over her!’ You growled rolling your eyes.
“You’re jealous.” Laf smirked, only making you more angry.
“No, I’m not!” You protested, glaring at Laf.
“You are the most amazing person I’ve ever met. You make me better in every way and teach me so much. I hope you believe me, when I say that girl I was talking to was just a local at the bar that I’ve come to know. But you, mon ange, you are the only person that matters to me. I love you, do not doubt it.” Laf said softly, slowly wrapping his arms around you.
“I love you too, I’m sorry for being jealous.” You muttered, pressing your forehead into his chest.
“There is no need to ever be jealous, you are my one and only.” Laf grinned, pressing a kiss lightly to your forehead.
Lafayette watched as you twirled and leaped, dancing in the rain. You swung around lampposts and splashed in more small puddles. You stuck your tongue out, catching little raindrops in your mouth. You felt his eyes, as you continued to dance.
“Are you going to keep staring? Or are you going to join me?” You smiled at Laf, holding a hand out for him to grab.
Hand in hand, the two of you twirled and danced in the rain. You splashed him, once again, with a puddle. You giggled running away from him. He chased you, dancing as he went, you doing the same. You’d twirl around a lamppost and he’d copy. It became a fun game of following the leader.
You began to feel out of breath when you felt his two strong arms around your waist. He lifted you off the ground, spinning you in the air. You giggled, letting yourself relax as he put you on the ground once more. He spun you, so your faces were inches apart.
“It’s time to go inside, ma moitié.” You could feel his warm breath against your face.
“Okay.” You smiled, glancing between his eyes and lips.
He pulled you in for a soft kiss. His lips were warm and soft, a nice contrast to the freezing rain and wind all around you. He softly rested his hands on your cheek, deepening the kiss.
“Ew, stop doing couple stuff!” John walked into the kitchen, covering his eyes.
“We’re barely touching.” You protested, watching him blindly walk around the kitchen.
“PDA!” Hercules screamed, covering both his and Alex’s eyes.
“We’re not touching anymore!” Laf yelled over their whining.
“But, Laf-” You began, before he put his finger over his lips and winked.
“You can uncover your eyes.” Laf said, the boys hesitantly doing so.
Once all the boys had opened their eyes, they took their time turning to look at you and Lafayette. When he had all the boys eyes on him, Laf pulled you in for a deep kiss. As you kissed you heard screams and groans from the boys.
“Sorry boys.” You giggled, watching their horrified expressions.
“Laf!” You jumped, landing firmly on top of him.
“Ugh, mon amour? What are you doing?” Laf’s voice was slightly pained, I mean you had just jumped on him. Sadly, he decided to use this position to his advantage. “Mon cherie, I’m very glad you decided to cuddle me while I read.” He smirked, putting his arms firmly around your body.
“No, Laf! Just come rake and play in the leaves with me!” You protested, banging your hands against his chest.
“No, (Y/N)! Just come cuddle and read with me!” He mocked you.
“Laf…I’ll make you hot chocolate afterwards. Plus, I’ll give you all the kisses.” You negotiated, Laf chuckling from beneath you.
“I thought I already got all the kisses, am I wrong?” He smiled.
“You thought wrong! I give some of my kisses to our puppy!” You exclaimed, pointing to the small dog that slept at the opposite end of the bed.
“Oh, I guess I can’t let a deal like this slip away, can I?” He kissed a light kiss to your lips.
“No you can not!” You jumped out of the bed, pulling him behind you.
“You kissed him…” Laf trailed off, tears streaming down his face.
“It’s not like that Laf, listen to me!” You cried, trying to get him to pay attention to what you were saying.
“What do you mean it’s not like that? That’s what happened, you kissed him. Am I not enough, (Y/N)?” Laf choked, a sob fighting it’s way to come out of his throat.
“Laf, Thomas had his hair pulled up in a bun. I thought he was you!” You exclaimed, trying to make him understand what happened.
“You don’t need to lie to me, (Y/N). Thomas is a good man, I’m sure he could make you happy.” Laf sighed, turning to walk away from you.
“Laf, you’re not hearing what I am saying! I would never just kiss Thomas, he looked and was acting like you! I didn’t know!” You yelled after Laf as he walked away.
“It’s okay, I’m not mad…I just wish it hadn’t ended this way.” Laf said softly, not looking back at you once.
“Lafayette.” You whispered, crying as he slammed the door of the apartment.
“This is a G chord, a D chord, an A chord and a E minor chord.” You said strumming the guitar once for each chord.
Laf copied your actions, trying to make each of his movement as precise as yours. You smiled watching him slowly get the hang of it. He began to get faster and faster, switching the chords quickly.
“I’m doing it!” Laf cheered, continuing his strumming.
“I told you, that you would pick it up fast!” You grinned watching him become entranced with the guitar.
“How about this puppy?” You asked, looking at a german sheppard wildly wagging it’s tail.
“We’re just looking, remember? We’re not going to get a dog today.” Laf reminded you.
“But look how cute he is!” You pouted, sitting on the floor to play with the hyper puppy. “Who’s a good doggo? You’re a good doggo!”
You threw the ball for the dog to get and it immediately came back, dropping it at your feet. You giggled throwing the ball over and over again. Laf smiled, watching you be just as amused as the dog was over throwing a ball again and again.
“Excuse me, we’ll take this one.” Laf said, turning to a worker.
“Wait! Really?” You asked, more excited than ever.
“You have to promise to be a good dog mom!” Laf warned, pulling out his wallet.
“I promise! I’ll be a good dog mommy!” You exclaimed, picking up the dog to hold in your arms.
“You are lucky.”
Laf lifted you up, putting your feet on top of his. He kept his arms around your waist, as you moved your arms around his neck. He moved you slowly to the beat, singing the song softly in your ear. You laid your head against his chest, sighing in content. These were the moments in your relationship that the two of you lived for. Those quiet moments when you both knew what the other was thinking. These were the moments when you both knew you loved each other more than anything in this world.
“Blackbird singing in the dead of night. Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life,” Laf sang quietly, moving back to look you in the eyes.
“You were only waiting for this moment to arise. You were only waiting for this moment to arise. You were only waiting for this moment to arise.” You both sang the end of the song together, looking at each other like they were the only person that mattered.
As the guitar strummed one last time, Laf moved in slowly to kiss you. The kiss was slow and meaningful, taking both of your breaths away. You moved your hands through his hair, tangling it with your fingers. His hands traveled up and down your spine, giving you the chills. He smiled into the kiss, picking you up slowly and placing you on the counter.
The kiss deepened, but did not become any less gentle. Laf stood in between your legs, moving his hands to rest on your thighs. A beep from the stove made Laf pull away, much to your discontent. He rested his forehead against yours, smiling coyly.
“Je t'aime, (Y/N)” He panted, out of breath from the kiss you had just shared.
“Je t’aime, Lafayette.” You said softly.
“Happy new year, mon amour.” Laf said, bringing his face inches from yours.
“Happy new year, french fry.” You grinned, pulling Laf in for a New Year’s kiss.
This kiss was better than any you had had in the past. It was the start to a new year, one that included the man you had grown to know and love in the past year. Threading your hands through his hair, Laf almost moaned before remembering where he was.
Pulling away slowly from you, Laf turned you to face the fireworks. You rested your head on his shoulder as he wrapped one of his arms around your waist.
“I can’t wait to spend another year with you.” Laf whispered, placing a kiss to the top of your head.
As you stood there in Lafayette’s arms, you couldn’t think of any better way to start the new year.
“The hunt continues,” I mutter leaving them behind.
I find Clint playing darts and walk up to him. Before I can even say anything he turns to me and says. “Laura is here.”
I glare at him and turn around almost crashing into Vision.
“Vision, my man,” I laugh. “Are you participating in tonight’s midnight kiss?”
“I am sorry Ms. (Y/N), but I have already been asked by Wanda,” the android tells me.
“Of course she did,” I mutter leaving to find some ones else.
One minuet until midnight, and I was still partner less. Tony was with Pepper, Nat was with Bruce, and Pietro had a line of women wanting to be with him.
There was still one more person I could ask, but I wasn’t sure what his reaction would be.
Bucky was still very new to the team and didn’t talk much. He spent most of the party in the back very secluded. When I approached him I almost turned around when he saw me come closer, but I held my smile and walked over to him.
“Hey Bucky,” I said standing in front of him. The countdown started behind me and I mentally cursed, I was running out of time.
“Hello (Y/N),” he smiled. Despite being so closed off and reserved Bucky was never rude to me, or anyone. Plus the man was insanely attractive. I would be crazy not to want to kiss him.
He was alone and the countdown was at five, meaning he was partner less.
Maybe this would work better if I did it like a band-aid. Just kiss him when the clock hits midnight and hope he isn’t too angry with me.
The countdown was ending and I looked around me nervously once more to see if there was anyone I still hadn’t asked before I did something stupid. Everyone at the party had been paired off leaving me with the bionic soldier.
The countdown ended and everyone cheered as the fireworks began to go off.
I turn back to Bucky fully prepared to lunge my self to him. What I wasn’t prepared for was Bucky planning on doing the same. As soon as I was facing him he placed his warm lips on mine. My eyes are wide with surprise before I close them and enjoyed the kiss wrapping my arms around his neck and tangling my fingers through his long hair. He wraps one arm around me and places the other behind my neck and pulls me closer to him deepening the kiss.
This was much better than what I had planned, just a small peck on the lips.
He pulls away leaving me breathlessly panting from the all too friendly kiss.
“I’m sorry,” he frowned looking down at my flushed self.
“Sorry you kissed me, or sorry you stopped,” I smirk my arms still wrapped around him as I reach up on my toes to peck his swelling lips.
“Sorry I stopped,” he murmurs against my lips. “Definitely sorry I stopped.”
“Good choice,” I say before fully pressing my lips to his again.
i had to pee really bad but i heard man voices out there and i literally do not want to look at a man ever unless they’re harry styles, dr. phil, a drag queen, dwyane the rock johnson, or on ghost adventures but i got up the courage to go pee in my own living space anyway so as soon as i opened my door the girls with the door right across from the bathroom literally slammed theirs so loud it was so intentional. not to sound like a middle school emo on vampirefreaks dot com but i hate the sorority girls so much they’re such fucking bitches it’s outrageous it’s past midnight get your yelling senior in college adult men who shouldn’t be hanging out with freshly 18 year old freshman out of here! and don’t act like that’s wrong and you’re being victimized and made to do something impossible it’s bedtime bitch!! and if i walk into the bathroom one more time to see a man in there i will literally just rip off one of my arms and go berserk like start swinging
While the HPI is generally the same across the board, every specialty will have it’s own particular spin on it depending on what it is. Psychiatry is no different.
- HPI Why is the patient at the doctor’s office or hospital. Asking the patient this can give you some insight into their thought process and perception. However, sometimes it will be necessary to ask the patient’s family, friends, or whomever brought them there (EMS, police, etc). Include any pertinent information about the current episode (what led up to it, what happened), any previous episodes, how is this affecting the patient’s life, assess the patient’s support system, symptoms, and evaluate patient’s functioning. Ex: 45 year old gentleman brought to ER by police, was found wandering in street at midnight yelling incoherently. The patient states he is here because his family is trying to kill him and take his fortune. This is the patient’s fifth visit at this hospital in the last two years, and is well known to the treatment team.In the ER the patient was visibly responding to internal stimuli.
- Past psychiatric history Have they ever been diagnosed with a psychiatric illness, and if so, when? If there were any prior suicide attempts, include when they occurred and the methods used. Ex: Patient was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia 25 years ago. He denies suicidal or homicidal ideations.
- Past medical history The usual drill. Ex: HTN, DMII
- Medications Many psych patients are on medications, be sure to ask if they miss doses and how often. Include supplements. Ex: risperidone, metformin, lisinopril. Patient has not picked up prescriptions in 2 months per pharmacy, patient states he does not need medicines.
- Allergies The usual drill. Ex: NKA
- Family history Specifically interested in family psychiatric history, don’t forget to ask about suicides. Ex: Per medical record, patient’s mother had bipolar disorder and his father committed suicide when the patient was 7.
- Social history Ask about what a patient does for a living, how far they went in school, where they live, who else is in the home with them, how their childhood was, specifically ask about physical, sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse in their lifetime, ask about specific drugs (marijuana, coke, heroin, meth, etc), tobacco use and history, and alcohol use and history. Ex: patient is homeless and is on disability, he reports snorting heroin in the last two months, he smokes a pack of cigarettes a day (started smoking at age 13) and drinks a fifth of whiskey when he can get it. After his father’s suicide he was sexually abused by his mother’s boyfriend until he was placed into foster care at 12. His only family contact is a sister, who states she has not seen or heard from the patient since February.
- Review of systems Still important to ask, but can be basic. I ask about dizziness, headache, runny nose, sort throat, cough, chest pain, heart racing, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, trouble urinating, and muscle or joint pains.
- Physical exam Most psych patients are very healthy and will have exams within normal limits. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO STILL EXAMINE THEM LIKE YOU DO ANY OTHER PATIENT.
- Mental status exam This is the most important part other than the history. Also remember this is just a snapshot of the patient’s mental status at the time of questions, it can- and frequently does- change during the course of the patient’s treatment. + Appearance: physical (hygiene, posture), behavior (cooperative/noncooperative, eye contact good/fair/poor), attitude (guarded, hostile) Ex: Patient appears disheveled and malodorous, poor eye contact, guarded but cooperative) + Speech: rate (pressured/fast/regular/slow), volume (loud/average/soft), tone (angry/sad) Ex: Speech is slow, soft, and lacking intonation. He answers questions mostly in monosyllables. + Mood: what does the patient say about how they are feeling? Ex: Patient states he is afraid. + Affect: How does the patient’s mood appear to you? Is it congruent with what the patient says (the patient says they are the saddest they’ve ever been but they are smiling and laughing)? Assess quality (flat/none, blunted/shallow, constricted/limited, full/average, and intense/greater than average) and motility (how fast they shift emotional states, sluggish/supple/labile). Ex: Patient’s affect is flat with sluggish motility + Thought process: How the patient thinks and puts ideas together. Examples of descriptions can be loosing of associations (no logical connections), flight of ideas (fast stream, tangents), thought blocking (lack of communication, unable to get thoughts out), tangentiality (goes off on tangents without returning to questions), and circumstantiality (goes off on tangent but returns to question eventually). Ex: Patient demonstrated thought blocking. + Thought content: How the patient expresses their ideas. Examples of description can be poverty/overabundance of thought, delusions (fixed false beliefs not shared by patient’s culture), suicidal and homicidal ideations, phobias (irrational fears), obsessions (intrusive recurring thoughts), and compulsions (repetitive behaviors, often linked to obsessions). Ex: Patient demonstrates poverty of thought with paranoid delusions. + Consciousness: alert, drowsy, stuporous + Orientation: person, place, and time + Calculation: add/subtract simple equation (2+4, 10-5) + Memory: Assess immediate (can they remember 3 repeated words after 5 minutes), recent (what happened in the last week), recent past (what happened last few months), remote past (events from years and years ago) + Fund of knowledge: Who is the President/leader of country? Be sure to stay within bounds of patient’s culture and education level. + Attention/concentration: The dreaded serial 7s or spelling a short word backwards (world, apple, whatever) + Reading/writing: Can they read a sentence and copy it? + Abstract concepts: Explain connections or similarities between objects or understand simple proverbs. + Insight: Is the patient aware of their mental illness? Do they blame it on someone else? Can be absent, limited, or normal. + Judgement: Does the patient understand the effect of their actions and decisions? Ex: what would you do if you found a wallet on the ground?
Matched with a guy that is in my college’s band. He asked me out to midnight yell ( a sort of pep rally the night before a football game). We hit it off and decided to keep the night going and went to a party together. We both got a little tipsy, he dropped me off at home, I texted him after he left asking if he wanted to stay and cuddle. He whipped around and was back at my door in what seemed like seconds. We spent the next couple of weeks talking and going on dates. Became officially dating after knowing each other for 2 weeks. One night I threw a party at my place. I got totally trashed and probably had alcohol poisoning. My friend called him to come over. He sat up with me all night even though I had puke in my hair and was barely conscious. Sweet right?
So, for the holiday and death of 2015, the gang decided we were going to the Pocono Mountains, getting a hotel room or two, and just celebrating with each other. Before we left, as we were packing up Old Ironside II, Evan made a marked reminder that we had two industrial-sized party poppers, ready to explode upon Midnight. They were comically large and resembled large Tootsie Rolls with the exterior pieces acting as pull-fuses. We joked about pre-maturely surprising each other and detonating them inches from the other’s ear and giving them instant tinnitus, but we withheld for the holiday.
Midnight comes, we all yell and celebrate, and motion to continue our game of Cards Against Humanity, when a childlike glee shines in Evan and my eyes. We still had to destroy the party poppers. So, excitedly we raise them and scream in excitement, and then I halt and say STOP. We are in Vnnie’s room and I would not wish to be the reason he doesn’t get his deposit back / have to clean up glitter and merry bullshit.
We open the door and scan the third floor of our hotel. It’s a beautiful place, where do we choose to desecrate with Hallmark hot garbage? Evan suggests we go to the elevators and go from there. We summon the elevator and it arrives. Evan goes in excitedly and motions for me to join.
“Why? Come on!”
“Evan, no. We detonate these things in there, we show up on another floor, and someone else gets in, and we’re a bunch of assholes covered in glitter.”
We go into the utility hallway and get hyped. We’re literally jumping in place.
We both look down at our hands. No glitter. No loud bang. Nothing.
I look at the popper.
There’s a fucking snowman on the item.
“These are fucking Chrstmas decorations.”
We commence to break down into tears of hysterical laughter at our / Evan’s ineptitude. Never before have I been so let down on such a petty notion. But, I suppose, a new year, a new tier of disappointment.