It was an honor getting a chance to listen to and meet Michael Ditullo this past weekend at the IDSA Southern District Conference. It was incredible to see how his career and journey progressed as an Industrial Designer throughout the years. He was the former creative director at FROG design, worked at Nike designing Jordans, Converse, Core77, Google, Mortorola, Honda, Braun…etc.
He spent a good amount of the talk explaining 3 new audio/speaker products that are new in the market and his whole process and thinking in designing them. But what I wanted to share were some of my notes on his overall design views and philosophies. For the most part these aren’t new to me but it was good hearing it again and being reminded.
1. Make, break and fix as fast as possible. You are going to make mistakes in the beginning. Period. So jump in and tackle those early!
2. If you don’t feel like you know what you’re doing then you’re probably doing something new.
3. Change is the only constant. Learn to adapt.
4. Get out of your comfort zone. That’s where the good stuff happens.
5. Don’t be a problem identifier. Be a solution finder. Anyone can point out the problem. Don’t be that guy. Do something about it.
6. Don’t let yourself down. A little cheesy but an important one. Don’t forget that it’s about progress. Not perfection.
7. Have fun. If you aren’t having fun then you’re probably doing something wrong. It’s design. Have fun.