human activity does not occur until the third sign, gemini. and we don’t meet a highly functioning, meticulous adult. two or three or four bouncing, fresh faced children blow through on mercury wings. this is the beginning of awareness. but it’s dizzying, loud, fun, chaotic awareness
Gustav Holst’s Planets Suite is a very cinematic-sounding piece, with each movement very different from the last, and it has inspired many film scores, particularly those about space movies.
1. Mars, the Bringer of War - if this sounds familiar, it’s because John Williams borrowed some of this for Star Wars. The skeletal sounding effect in the opening is col legno, a technique where the stick of the bow of a stringed instrument is bounced along the string. This movement has the feel of an army steadily approaching, or like a great warship moving through space. Clashes between different groups of instruments represent battles between opposing forces.
2. Venus, the Bringer of Peace - this movement is tranquil, lyrical, longing, and romantic. This is the sunlight that comes through the clouds after a battle in the rain, this is the sense of calm that envelops you after taking a deep breath.
3. Mercury, the Winged Messenger - the bubbling notes seem to take flight, just like Mercury does with aid of his winged sandals. This is light and quick, and the melody jumps from instrument to instrument as fast as Mercury can flit from place to place.
4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity - this movement opens bright, vivacious, active, and very triumphant, like a proclamation of victory. The effervescent section transitions into a sweeping melody at 2:50, which you will probably recognize, as it has been adapted for various hymns and is the melody for “I Vow to Thee, My Country.”
5. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age - the steady chords most prominently starting around 4:25 are like the hands of an enormous clock, and the later dissonant faster chords are like alarms - this movement represents the inevitable power of Father Time.
6. Uranus, the Magician - this is the realm of the trickster, the cunning, the powerful yet unknown. A certain magical - yet not necessarily entirely benevolent - quality pervades the movement. This character has influenced the portrayal of magic in film scores such as Harry Potter.
7. Neptune, the Mystic - this movement has an otherworldly quality to it – one which has informed how the mysteries of space are represented in film scores today. Is this happy? Is this sad? It’s hard to pinpoint the exact emotion, and that is what makes Neptune so distinct. Additionally, this is one of the first pieces to have a fade out ending, with the sound of the women’s chorus gradually diminishing into silence.
(gemini and virgo are like hearing your future first dance song for the first time. they are light and bubbly, talkative and bursting at the seams with nervous energy. they wind each other up like clockwork toys, only to be the tender embrace that each sign needs from the other. they are equals.)
these two are kind of strange, in all honesty. they clash a lot, they’re both bundles of nerves, they have similar issues and don’t necessarily complement each other.. but at the same time, they lift each other up, both flying on mercurial wings until they reach the top, and neither one of them is going to leave the other behind. i think there’s a tendency to see this pairing as either all good or all bad, which is really not a great thing to do, because there’s much more to life than black and white, you know? gemini and virgo form a square, which, yes, can be a harsh, tense and competitive energy. but it can also be an educational, evolutionary experience that builds up an unbreakable bond, a lifelong friendship and a passionate love. both of these signs need a great deal of love, they need honesty and interest and excitement, they need to talk and be given things to think about, and who better to do that than another mercury baby?
if these two can improve their communication and learn to soothe their insecurities, this is a lovely pairing. they are understanding and willing to listen and learn, eager to share and talk through problems to find a solution. virgo helps to ground gemini, who in turn breathes life into virgo, helping to achieve the balance between order and chaos, in the best way possible. neither sign is traditionally romantic, true, but gemini’s playful love and virgo’s pure dedication are a sweet mix and actually complement each other quite nicely. this is the kind of couple that can really drive each other crazy, but they love each other all the more for it. they learn from each other, always growing and going with the flow of life. they can read each other like the most fascinating book, and they revel in their intimate knowledge of each other. their lighter times are sweet and fanciful, but when they quiet down and get serious, they’re dedicated and thoughtful. as long as they keep their minds and hearts open, they’ll be golden.
main qualities - bright, nervous, rational, passionate, communicative
Hermes transported souls to the underworld and effortlessly glided into every state of consciousness. This makes the winged messenger Mercury very comfortable in the curious, deep and infinite eighth house experience. The eighth house is guarded by Scorpio and transports us to the depths of the unconscious, the dwellings of the soul, the process of life, death, and rebirth. It’s a state of limbo, and Mercury attempts to turn these visions, spirits, and symbols into language. Here consciousness and unconsciousness are fused and the mind enters a state where the ego is lost. There may be frequent overhauls of thinking and learning will trigger the individual’s tremendous transformations, largely occurring in the mind and the way the person thinks and perceives the world.
The individual may spend a lot of time contemplating the afterlife or taboo topics, like thinking about what dying will feel like or what will happen after they death. There will be a great urgency to uncover the truth and a halo antenna that reads invisible soul conversations and easily intuits if somebody is deceptive. It’s like they can instantly read ‘good’ or ‘bad’ characters. The individual will also be intensely private. Personal information is strictly guarded and a rare few people are let into the exclusive inner circle. Mental acuity is quite powerful with Mercury in the eighth. There can also be a silver tongue and so the individual may do well in politics or more ruthless business. The individual can be very charismatic and charm her way to the top, even with malicious intentions. Defenses are high with Mercury in the eighth. The individual may respond with severe wrath if her personal space is infiltrated or her integrity is under scrutiny.
Connection with the spirit comes with the use of voice. And it may be through conversations with others that ancestors and spirits converse with her. There is a spectacular degree of concentration with Mercury in the eighth. The individual has a fierce focus and becomes obsessed with topics for weeks on end, examining every spectrum and investigating every detail. Maybe there is a great skill for psychology, especially criminal profiling. The mind can feel like a haunted house here. The
synapses of the brain reflect in tight, cosmic galaxies. These are the
vessels that cross the borderline into the underworld and dance with the
ethereal, the occult, the cosmos, and participate in conversation with
dwellers of the other side. The winged messenger takes a turbulent
descending spiral, lead only by the hand of a dark shadow.
The nervous impulses in Virgo echo the flow of nature. Virgo may seem compartmentualized, but the dual forces in Virgo allow them to holler with the birds and hear the songs of the universe through earth forces, build blossoming gardens in their mind with intellectual Mercury, and understand the variation of life with the fluidity of mutable modification. It’s like the wings of Mercury can fly them right into flowers, and they mentally dance as they soak up the geometric sequences, the language of petals, and the structure of seasons. The trees can teach them telepathy as they inquire into the nature of reality, through nature and its music. Virgos celebrate fertility and the exquisiteness of natural design. They pay homage to the earth by their humble, efficient service, their mineral healing abilities, and their mindful observation. Flowers bloom from their hands pouring with the most natural, magnificent form of medicine.
The presence of Virgo can be truly humbling, teaching you that the loudest and most vivid expressions of love and respect can be displayed in the hand that helps you with the little things every day of your life, that shows you that consistency and a sense of grounding can leave you with more wisdom than you could imagine. Virgos are little Mercury spirits with wings sprouting from their backs, flying in the realm of communication and language, but also heart and soul, a place that makes the cerebral and the will of the heart fully compatible. They manage to pour more wisdom in a few words that many can in a monologue, proving that bravado and theatrics isn’t the only display of personality.