- non-focused, “zoned out”
- doesnt reply to comments, or replies very half-heartedly
- eyes arent focused
- doesnt seem to notice anything going on around them
- repeats doing or saying the same things over and over
- forgets what they said or did, whether in the last few minutes or the last few days
things you can do to help
- get them to a quiet, calm place
- ask them very basic questions: “are you okay?” “how are you feeling?” “is there anything you need from me right now?”
- help them recount the events theyve forgotten, whether in the last few minutes or last few weeks
- walk them through what is going on, tell them, if you can, that you think that theyre dissociating
- if you can, keep an eye on them and look out for things they might miss, ie: crossing the street, accidentally bumping into something, receiving important information
- sometimes showing them funny stuff or having them read an article or something after doing the previous steps helps
keep in mind that i am not a doctor or professionally qualified to help with mental illness. i just wrote down a list of what i like to have people do when i dissociate. hope this helps someone!
I’ve read a lot of really good fic this year and I just thought the best of the best deserved some recognition. I tried to weed out the super popular fics, but some still show up because I love them that much. Also, the ships are numerous and varied.
Running on Air–eleventy7; Drarry Draco Malfoy has been missing for three years. Harry is assigned the cold case and finds himself slowly falling in love with the memories he collects. *I would murder people to protect this fic. It’s beautifully written, well-plotted, original, and it reuses certain sentences, making them more poignant the later in the story they’re used. Like, fuck me up*
the ghost of you–kissmesexybatman; Klance When Keith goes missing without a trace, all his family and friends are able to do is move on with their lives. When he shows back up after a year, they have to convince him they still want him back. *I may be slightly biased because the coolest person in the world wrote this, but let me tell you, it’s emotionally heartwrenching, wonderfully written, and gives you a happy ending without sacrificing the needs of the characters*
My soul is an empty carousel at sunset.–dawnstruck; Otayuri Yuri grows up and grows older and grows into himself. Otabek helps. It just takes a while to get there. *I’m demi and this fic described exactly what that experience has been like for me, as it features a demi!Yuri. Beyond that, it was sweet and genuine and I adored it*
•think about someone/something that makes you happy •listen to calming music •doodle/draw if possible •make up happy/nice scenarios in your head •find something that maybe seats or slightly moves and focus on just that thing •imagine yourself in a calm and relaxing place •close your eyes and breathe deeply •think about a nice memory you’ve had with someone you love •talk to someone you trust if possible •if your in class, ask to go into the hallway for a little to calm down •if your in a situation where you can’t leave the room, block out the noise and focus on your breathe •put your head down and close your eyes and try to relax and calm down •hug someone you trust/love •find 5 things you can touch, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can taste, 2 things you can smell, 1 thing •think about one day seeing your favorite band/musician in concert •remember to breathe and know that everything will be okay and I’m always here :)
If you make human company too important you will not discover your true Self. Relationships not based in truth are never entirely reliable and are rarely enduring. Taking time to discover yourself is the best use of time. Prioritise this. One should not excessively seek partners or friends, one should seek to know and be oneself. As you begin to awaken to the Truth, you start noticing how well life flows by itself and how well you are cared for. Life supports the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual needs of the one who is open to self-discovery. Trust opens your eyes to the recognition of this. Surrender allows you to merge in your own eternal being.