I have a lot of regrets in my life, but I'm pretty sure my biggest one is still when I was 17 and met Adam Young (Owl City) for a photo op and was so nervous about meeting my favorite musician that helped me get through teenagerhood that this is how our 10-second conversation went down.
Adam: Hi, I’m Adam!
Me:*stuttering and smiling wide* I know!
*Awkward silence as photo is taken*
Adam: It was nice meeting you :)
Me: *nodding excessively*…… BYE.
Way to go and forget to tell him oh, I don't know, HOW MUCH YOU LOVE HIS WORK??? My mom ended up having to do that for me when she was forced to take a picture next because she had the same kind of ticket.
Okay, y’all. Owl City On The Verge Tour Experience! Spoilers ahead...
I bought my tickets early. Like, the week they came on pre-order early. Fast-forward to October 5, 2015…
Mid-afternoon, I pack my stuff and fly to Nashville.
Next I hopped in a cab and headed to the Cannery. Upon my arrival, I saw a bunch of Hoot Owls lined up on the sidewalk. I should have expected that, but I didn’t think about how many people were as excited about this concert as I was.
We were soon herded off into our own VIP line far ahead of everyone else (sorry guys).
We were taken inside and instructed not to take selfies. I asked the stage manager what the reason for this rule was and she said that selfies generally take up too much time and not everyone gets their fair share of time with Adam. (Seriously, they should start this an hour early.)
I was first in line to meet Adam. First one on the first night of the tour. What. But then I saw @asitfillswithlight behind me and I went to say hi to her.
I managed to get back second in line. I was having a conversation with a dad who really didn’t want to mess up his daughter’s picture. I was trying to show him the best ways to ensure that he took great pictures. As I was speaking with him, the crowd fell silent. They all looked over my shoulder as Port Blue softly started playing. I turned around and there he was. Adam Young. I didn’t have time to gather the thoughts and things I was going to say to him, so our conversation ended up going like this:
Me: Am I actually talking to Adam Young?
Adam: I don’t know… I think so!
(I shake his hand and introduce myself.)
Me: Man, thank you for everything.
Adam: Well, thank you for coming!
Me: Talk about surreal, meeting the guy you look up to that’s always writing about surreality.
Adam: Yeah, definitely. Thank you.
Me: So did you fly in?
Adam: Yeah, we flew!
Me (forgetting all the interviews that say he doesn’t like flying): Do you like flying much?
Adam: Um, not so much.
(We both laugh. At this point, the stage manager or whoever she was started rushing us to take our photo. She doesn’t appear to know how to change exposure, but that’s okay. I’m gonna actually fix it in Photoshop soon.)
By this time, I’m ushered to the main concert area and told to find a spot. Still spinning from the sheer surreality of this whole thing, I walk right up the stage, to the front row. (We didn’t have seats, but I was right at the front.) I realized that I hadn’t given Adam the letter I had written him earlier. I peeked around the corner of the fabric backdrop.
Me: Hey, Adam!
Me: This is for you.
Him: For me? Thank you!
I walked back to my spot, happy with the experience so far. We stood around for about an hour, and then Rozzi Crane came out and performed a few songs. (Oh my gosh. Her vocal range… I can’t) We realized before she came out that her setlist had been put on a piece of paper so she wouldn’t forget any songs. Being on the front row, I took a flash photo of the setlist, turned my camera upside down, and saw the setlist.
Warning: This next part contains spoilers not only to Rozzi’s setlist but also to Adam’s. If you are attending an On The Verge concert and don’t want it spoiled, then don’t read the parts that are italicized. You have been warned!
• What a Girl Wants by Christina Aguilera (Cover)
• Painkiller > Mirrors
• How Come You Don’t Call Me by Prince (Cover)
After Rozzi finished her set, she hung out at the merch booth and took photos while Adam’s show got set up. (She was super nice oh my gosh)
When Adam’s setlist was taped down, I jumped at the chance to photograph it.
• Mobile Orchestra Intro (Jasper played his guitar with a violin bow and it was amazing.)
• Bird With a Broken Wing (I recorded this one in HD. It was the only one that I took on my GoPro. I’ll upload it via YouTube soon. My Nikon had some weird settings to record super low quality in super slow motion… so it cut out half the audio. If there’s one of these that you want to hear, it’s likely I caught at least half of it on LQ video. You can inbox me to get that.)
• Dreams and Disasters (The transition between BWABW and DD was so seamless.)
• Up All Night (HE HIT ALL THE HIGH NOTES PERFECTLY)
• Thunderstruck (WAY COOL IN CONCERT WITH ALL THE GUITARS)
• Beautiful Times (JUST YES)
• Kamikaze (This just gets better and better)
• Meteor Shower (He dropped his pick right as he was starting to strum and handled it like a total pro)
• This Isn’t The End
• Sky Diver
• Midtro (I quite honestly forget what this was… I’ll go back and check my footage. If anything turns up, I’ll make an edit.)
• My Everything (For this one he used the dreamy My Everything preview he posted on Instagram recently. The atmosphere during this song was spectacular.)
• Back Home/Fireflies (Adam opened this by mashing up the lyrics to the chorus of fireflies and Back Home, then when he was on his final chorus, he looped the vocal where he sang the word “fireflies” over and over and over again, making a seamless transition into Fireflies.)
• The Medley (This was an Owl City dream mashup. Tip of the Iceberg, Umbrella Beach, Cave In, and one or two more I can’t recall. They all blended perfectly.)
• Verge (Verge was great. Some people have complained about his range being too high in this one, but like, have you heard Thunderstruck? Just saying. He nailed every high note he hit.)
• Deer in the Headlights (Everyone. Went. Nuts. As soon as they realized this was playing. It was amazing.)
• Hello Seattle (This one started off with a cool guitar-ish version of the Hello Seattle Remix. It transitioned into the Ocean Eyes version of Hello Seattle.)
After they played this song, Adam said “Thank you so much! We’ll see you next time!” After the band exited the stage, the crowd chanted, “ONE MORE SONG! ONE MORE SONG! ONE MORE SONG,” at which point the band returned to play
• Good Time (Accompanied by Rozzi Crane. Which I have to admit, I really, really liked, even though Good Time is not one of my favorite Owl City songs.)
(I’m not sure what happened to the 99 Red Ballons cover. They may have just cut it for time.)
Here are some pictures from the show! I’m happy to send any of these to you without a watermark for edits or whatever, but if you plan to use them online, I’ll ask that you credit me and my blog. Inbox me if you want details about that.
EDIT: I forgot to include his shoes. You’re welcome.
After the concert was over, I talked to some hoot owls, got some pictures, and had a fantastic time soaking in the atmosphere. Here’s a picture I got with Leah (@asitfillswithlight ). Y’all should follow her if you haven’t already.
And then, after talking to Gabe about drums and GoPros, buying some awesome merch (I got a wonderful t-shirt and a fantastic poster), and saying farewell to all my new friends, it was time to say goodbye to the skylines and hello to the tree lines. I took off from Nashville and got home safely a couple hours later.
So that was my experience at my first Owl City concert! The whole night was incredible. I hope I’ll be able to go to another one whenever he’s back around.
Oh yeah, and you should reblog this cause I spent like, a thousand hours writing it and your followers probably want to see it too If you have any further questions, feel free to send me an ask and I’ll do my best to answer them.
Have you ever made Owl City art with the dream of Adam seeing it? Or had something that you desperately needed to tell him but could never find out how to get the message to him? WELL YOU’RE IN LUCK!
I am meeting Adam on October 22nd and I want to make him a book filled with things from hoot owls all around the world! If you have a drawing or artwork that you’d like to show Adam or have something you want to tell him then please send everything to the email that is listed at the bottom!
There is some procedures to making sure everything doesn’t get mixed up. In each email please include your information following this example:
Name: Mara Landon (or Mara L. If you prefer)
Location: Seattle, WA (or Washington, USA)
If a certain social network doesn’t apply to you please put N/A. Also if you have multiple accounts for something you can do it like this:
Instagram: @owl_society & @maralandon
For any messages or stories for Adam please type them exactly how you would like them. They will be proofread for typo’s, but I will not change them in anyway.
For drawings or digital art please attach a picture of it in its highest quality. For drawings please scan them into a computer or take a STRAIGHT ON picture so it can be cropped easily without cutting out part of it.
Feel free to send any pictures (that you took) from previous owl city concerts or meet and greets that you went to! If you do send those then please include the date and location of the concert.
The email to send everything to is firstname.lastname@example.org [and put “entry” in the subject line!]
Hope to have something from all of you!! At this point there is no specific due date, and also you can send multiple pictures and you can send a mix too (drawings and a message, pictures and a drawing, or even all 3!)
I know this was a lot of information, so if you have any questions please email them to email@example.com and put “information” in the subject line!
Concept : A giant Hootowl meeting where we can all gather and hug and there will be a giant karaoke with all Adam’s songs so we can sing until our lungs jump out of our chests and there will be merch everywhere even hand-made merch and there will be cloud cushions and rainbows and sweets and strawberries and oreos and capri-sun and we would wear hoot-hats and there will be fan arts pinned on the walls and it would take place in Seattle so we can sing “Hello Seattle” all the time and maybe at the end Adam will come and hang out with us and it would be awesome.