here's a prompt where instead of neil getting hurt in a game, it's andrew
this turned into fluff????? mark this down on the calendar, guys, because I never turn angst into fluff at least not like this
Neil isn’t on the court when it happens, so he sees every second. It’s not the first time a team got it in their heads that the way to win the game was to sacrifice a striker in order to take down Andrew. But it’s the first time they’ve decided to sacrifice two strikers and a defensive dealer.
Andrew gets the ball out of the goal and then braces for the impact of the striker. If it had ended there, Andrew would have been fine, brick house that he is. But the other striker, in a blatant foul, rams into Andrew as well, and then the fucking defensive dealer piles on as well. Whistles blow and the buzzer goes off, calling the game to a halt as red cards are thrown and the referees make their way onto the field.
Neil is on his feet and running without remembering to tell his body to move. Wymack and the referees try to stop him, but Neil ducks and shoves past them. The other players are already on their feet, but Andrew is still on his back, racquet laying a foot from his extended hand.
hello, do you mind me asking what happened with sleepy hollow? I only watched the first season lol
not at all! okay so first off, congratulations on escaping the train wreck early. second, there was a shitload of bs happening behind the scenes, 99% of which we are still in the dark about. the rest is under a cut bc damn.
ALL OF MY CHILDREN! MY SWEET, SWEET, BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN I LOVE THEM! also I’ve been working on this for four days so the writing probably isn’t consistent. I’m sorry.
-he would always put your feelings first. ALWAYS.
-he would always try to protect you from everything and if he can’t convince you against doing something stupid, he’s probably going to do it with you (”Well, if you’re going to do something that’s going to get you floated, I’m not going to let you do it alone.”)
-he’d probably kiss your forehead a lot.
“It’s your turn, Wells.” you smirked, knowing exactly the move he’d make. As projected, he moved his chess piece into the trap you’d spent the entire game constructing.
“What? How did you even do that.”
“I did it while you were staring at me. You really have to start paying attention more… I win.”
“No, absolutely not.” he wiped the chess pieces into his bag and slipped the board into it’s place.
“Oh… Poor baby!” you pinched his cheeks, looking up at him. “My poor, poor baby. He’s lost a game of chess and he’d being a baby about it.”
“You’re being very childish right now.” he stated, pushing around you.
“Says the one throwing a temper tantrum.” you rolled your eyes at him and followed him out of the rec room.
-He’d be really gentle and considerate. He’s ready for anything when you are and if you aren’t, that’s okay too.
-You’d probably spend a lot of time with Monty as well.
-Cuddles, literally all the time. He would constantly be touching you, even if it’s just holding your hand or sitting really close to you.
“Babe,” he spoke quietly in case you were asleep. Your back was pressed against his chest and his arm was over your waist, holding you to him. “Y/N.”
“Yes?” you hummed, half awake. he rested his chin on your shoulder for a second before kissing it.
“Can we switch?”
“Can we switch.. like positions?”
“You want to be the little spoon?” you asked. He didn’t answer so you turned your body to face him and he just stared at you for a moment, waiting for you to say something. “Well are you going to turn around or not?”
-It would take a long time to develop a relationship with him, you’d have to be very patient. He has a hard time letting people in. But once you’re in, you’re in.
-He’d be really warm all the time.
-You don’t have to worry about anyone laying a finger on you because he’s with you all the time and gives death stares to everyone.
-He’d probably get really, really jealous easily.
-being the only person allowed to call him John- but only because he can’t tell you no.
“John.” You groaned, rolling over in your bed. “Get up.” you pushed his shoulder to wake him but he stayed still. “Get up, babe.”
“I don’t want to.”
“We have to gather today, the sooner we do it, the sooner we can come back and sleep.” you told him, smiling at his sleepy groaning.
“I want to lay here with you all day.” he kissed your nose, pulling you into his warmth.
-She’d try to teach you everything she knows.
-There’s nothing she wouldn’t do for you.
-She’d be really guarded at first and you’d be met with a wall of sarcasm and other defense mechanisms but once you break down those walls, she’s yours.
-She’s always be watching over you, smiling as she watched you interact with other people.
-Little kisses all the time.
“Raven!” you screamed, holding you hands up. “RAVEN! QUICKLY!”
She sprinted in the direction of your voice, her mind running a hundred miles faster than her feet as she considered what was happening. Grounders? Fire? Sickness? Did you get shot? Were you hurt? She couldn’t stand how slow she felt like she was going as you continued to scream for her. She reached your shared tent and saw you sitting at the table with your hands in the air. She stood, panting.
“Remember when you taught me to split rounds?” you asked, a smile on your face as you turned to her. “And you said I was hopeless.”
She calmed down as she scanned your body and saw you weren’t hurt. “Yea.” She shrugged, coming over to your chair to rest on it with you, tired from running.
“Well, eat shit. Look what I did.” you huffed, blowing hair out of your face. “I split two rounds all by myself.”
“And you didn’t blow up the camp?” she asked, inspecting the impressive rounds. “Good job, Y/N.” she nodded and kissed your head.
-Late nights talking in your tent.
-holding her hand when she’s about to do something stupid.
-Bellamy picking on you but getting really pissed if anyone else does it.
-Meeting Abby when she comes to the ground.
“Clarke!” you called after her. She spun around, meeting you with a smile.
“Hey, Y/N.” her hand found yours and she slipped her fingers in between yours. “What’s up?”
“Nothing, I was just looking for you to see if you wanted to come with me to collect some fruits and things.”
“Sure. When?” she grinned, knowing what usually happened when the two of you went out into the forest alone.
“Right now.” you smirked. “Catch me if you can.” you took off running out the gates and into he trees, so light on your feet that you barely made a sound. You thought you’d really tripped her up until you were sent flying backwards into a tree, panting. She breathed on your neck, hot and heavy and you let your head fall back, laughing deeply as her lips found your neck and her hands pulled your hips into hers.
-Loyalty. Undying loyalty.
-He’d worship you. You would never have to wonder if you were good enough because he would let you know every single day that you were.
-He’d do literally anything for you. Lie, cheat, beg, steal, kill. He’d die for you. He’d protect you but he’d also understand that there are somethings you have to do on your figure out yourself. But you’d never be alone.
-He’d always be touching you but he’d always be very gentle and considerate of you. He’d never push you into anything or ask for anything from you. You’d always be put first.
“Lincoln…” you gasped for air, falling into him. You were locked away in your cave with him, safe and sound. “I’m so afraid.” you whimpered, sniffling as you nuzzled into his chest. “I’m so afraid.” he was silent for a moment, letting you cry yourself out before he pulled away from you, holding onto your shoulders as he looked down into your eyes.
“You don’t have to be afraid, Y/N.” he told you. “I’m not ever going to let anything happen to you.” he whispered softly. “Not ever.”
Rough-draft-ish timeline for book 1! BTW if you are visual like me, the closest we get to a calendar year for All For the Game is 2006/2007. It’s not 100% accurate, because not all of the dates match up perfectly throughout the whole series, but this is the closest one, with only a few dates off. It diverges in June, so I kept to the book for the rest of June because dates were easy to track; it meets back up with the calendar year in August and so far as I’ve checked sticks pretty close to it for the rest of the series?? The games do at least??
In the days that were too eventful (or I just typed too much for them), I underline the important parts tumblr removed my underlines?? i’ll think of something sorry!!, and for all of it I italicize direct quotes
The Foxhole Court Timeline - Rough Draft Edition
~Friday, April 7 (approx date): Wymack, Kevin, and Andrew come to Arizona to recruit Neil
Thursday, May 11: “Neil Josten” graduates HS
Friday, May 12: Andrew picks Neil up from the airport, he meets Nicky, Aaron, and Abby, sees the court for the first time, moves in with Wymack
Saturday, May 13: Andrew nearly stabs Nicky, Neil exhausts himself trying to score on Andrew
-it gets approximate again here bc it says 5 weeks should pass but only 4 do, so I’m using context to close out the gaps-
~Tuesday, May 30: Neil goes to the court at night for the first time & finds Andrew and Kevin there; Andrew shows Neil the knives hidden in his armbands, beautiful lines such as “exy is just slightly less boring than living is” and “I’m not a math problem” “I’ll still solve you” and “this was a dream he’d have to wake up from eventually” occur
~Wednesday, May 31: Wymack tells Kevin about the district transfer, tells Neil about the Moriyamas, Neil considers running but decides to stay until the match against the Ravens
Thursday, June 1: Raven’s district transfer effective
*Sunday, June 9: foxes move into Fox Tower, Matt offers to kick Kevin’s ass for Neil (and actually does until Andrew stops him), Dan and Renee give Neil tea and cookies like the princesses they are, Andrew goes through Neil’s stuff, Andrew admits for murder w/ no chill instance #1, Neil has a lot of panic attacks and fits of dissociation and decides again to stay because “one of us has to make it” and he’s decided to pick Kevin’s life over his
*Wednesday, June 12: Seth punches Kevin as soon as Andrew leaves for his meeting with Bee
*Friday, June 14: Columbia & all that that disaster entails
*Saturday, June 15: Neil hops out the window, calls Matt to ask him to watch his stuff, hitchhikes/walks home, tells Andrew half (most) of the truth, ends on “Hope was a dangerous and disquieting thing, but he thought perhaps he liked it.”
*Monday, June 17: Kevin comes to take Neil to night practice, but Matt and Seth send him away
*Tuesday, June 18: first night practice!!, “the master?” “Coach Moriyama”; Matt waits up for Neil like the precious and pure human he is
*Wednesday, June 19: Nicky asks Aaron (in German) if he thinks Neil will ever forgive them (it’s literally been 4 days, he needs to chill), and Neil realizes that Andrew didn’t tell the others he can speak German and wonders why
*Friday, June 21: ERC makes the official announcement about Edgar Allen’s district transfer; Seth says my person favorite of his lines: “Tell me, when’s the last time anyone cried for you?”
Wednesday, August 23: Team psych evals w Bee
Thursday, August 24: First day of classes, Matt wakes Neil up for practice and the following killer exchange happens: “I’m fine.” “You say that an awful lot.”
Friday, August 25: Game day, all of the upperclassmen take turns walking Neil to/from classes, Seth and Allison sit with him at lunch and tell him about the Renee/Andrew betting pool, Neil finds out Andrew goes sober on game nights, Nicky apologises for the Columbia thing
GAME V BRECKENRIDGE JACKALS: Seth and Kevin fight on court 13 minutes into the game (no one took Nicky’s bet so he doesn’t win anything), Neil goes in at 20 minutes for Seth (”Hey Pinnocchio, time to run. This one’s for you.”), Matt punches Gorilla for Kevin and then runs and hides behind Andrew for safety (these nerds are such children I love them), Neil begins to feel a burning hatred for the jackals: “Gorilla had been trying to hurt Kevin’s hand his first day back on the court, which was unbelievably cruel. Neil hoped Matt had bruised some ribs with that punch.”; Neil scores his first goal!!; final score 7-9 loss (not bad tbh), and then the upperclassmen/Neil stay up all night partying like the nerds they are, I love these kids
Saturday, August 26: Kathy’s show, Neil’s 1st time on the bus, “Kevin’s smile was a brittle and bitter thing”; Kevin threatens to cut Neil off from night practices to force him to go on Kathy’s show (and Andrew laughs and calls Neil an idiot); “As complicated as Neil’s obsession with Kevin was, one truth was undeniable: he didn’t want Kevin to hate him.”; “I think of you as one half of a whole.” “At least I have room to stretch out now.” that is a SAVAGE BURN coming from Kevin wow; but then fuckface Riko appears, fuck him 5ever; “Renee was sitting sideways in Andrew’s lap, one foot braced against the ground to keep him from shoving her off”; Neil insults Riko on national television because “his temper couldn’t stomach any more of Riko’s cruelty”; Neil is actually afraid of Riko a little/lot because “Riko had the same stare that his father did: he looked at Neil and saw only flesh that knew how to bleed”; Andrew puts himself between Riko and Neil <3; back at home Andrew punches through his window; “Oh Neil, as unpredictable as he is unreal” wow Andrew you’re falling in love already aren’t you??; “running was only an option when no one was looking” & “You gave your game to Kevin. Give your back to me.”; Columbia: “Let Andrew buy you things if he wants to. He’s not usually the gift-giving type.” & “You’re one of us, which means we’ll never push you farther than you’re willing to go.” ; Andrew disappears for 30 minutes (so he goes and does the do with Roland in the back room!!!); Wymack calls with the news about Seth’s overdose (Andrew, Kevin, and Neil have too much chill about this news “keep up with the conversation” “what about the lineup” “that apathy doesn’t bode well for your sanity”); Andrew gives Neil the key
-end of book 1-
Book 1 covers 18 specific days days and spans ~5months
BUT do you honestly think Abby will get pregnant? is this a theory elsewhere? personally i'd love it!
first of all: love this question, wanna marry this question.
SECOND OF ALL: this is absolutely wild and borderline fanciful (perhaps even self-indulgent) speculation, but i’m having a total ball with this theory, so let’s unpack it. special shout out to @abigailkanes and @kane-and-griffin, who are both on this train as well. okay basically this is our three-way shared theory.
also for a fun flavour: there’s NSFW gifs under this read more, because the CW loves us very much and gave us just a stunning amount of kabby content to support this whole thing.
Hey, nonny! This took me forever to answer, and I’m really sorry about that. I have a lot of favorite fics, so I’ll limit this list to my top ten favorites. This only features fics on AO3, but I know there are plenty of amazing ones to be found on Tumblr that I can’t locate right now (or can’t locate on AO3). If you want, you can check out my fic rec tag to find some that are Tumblr-bound!
In no particular order, here are the ones to which I return over and over again:
1. The Life You Make in the Ruins by @kane-and-griffin - this is the fic that got me started writing fanfiction. Honestly, this was a life-changing experience for me, and I have reread it at LEAST fiveor six times. It’s beautiful. Modern AU where Jake and Callie die in a car crash and Marcus and Abby are left to raise their kids; Bellamy, Clarke and Octavia.
2. A Flower in Autumn by @beautiful-rebellious-sunflower - OH MY GOD, I can’t even describe the amount of feelings I have regarding this fic. I’mma start crying, no joke. Period/regency era AU isn’t usually my thing, but this is beautifully written, perfectly in-character (Alice’s Abby Griffin could literally have walked off the show and into this fic, and as Abby trash, this delights me) and the romance is dazzling.
3. Through the Wire by noblydonedonnadoble - another of my earlier reads in the Kabby fandom that stuck with me for over a year. The writing strikes a delicate balance between comedy and drama, and it rises above the simple “fake dating AU” trope. Of course, I’m trash for fake dating AU, so…I was destined to love this. Modern/fake dating AU where Abby needs a date for her brother’s wedding, and Marcus Kane is the solution to that problem.
4. Everyone Can See It by @beautiful-rebellious-sunflower - look, I’m just trash for everything Alice writes. But this I especially love because it shows other people’s perspectives on Marcus and Abby’s relationship, something I haven’t often seen in this fandom. Not to mention that, as before, every character is perfectly translated from screen to page. While it’s not completed, the status doesn’t affect the rest of the piece because they’re a series of interconnected one-shots. It’s amazing.
5. I Need You So Much Closer by @skaihefamarcus - if you want good smut, this is some Grade A smut. I recommend everything of Kate’s, even though there are a few things of hers that I think live only on Tumblr? If you search her blog, you can probably find them. Written for a Valentine’s exchange, this fic takes place after Marcus returns from Polis in S4. AU in which Marcus and Abby are actually reunited instead of remaining separated forever, and Abby is…well, really happy to see him. *wink*
6. Haiplana by @kane-and-griffin - the fic that makes everyone’s rec lists, and for good reason. I mean, it has everything. Abby wearing a gorgeous grounder dress? Check. Actual interaction between Marcus and Lexa, of which we were so horribly deprived on the show? Check. Epic, sizzling sexual tension? CHECK. Canon-compliant S3 oneshot where Abby and Marcus attend a grounder feast in Polis.
7. Wonderwall by @fandammit - I LOVE. THIS FIC. Well really I love anything Lelanie writes, but this fic especially. It does a spectacular job of not only building an entire modern AU backstory between Marcus and Abby, but in explaining why they hated each other, slowly brings them back together. Not to mention that Lelanie is literally #writergoals and I constantly have to restrain myself from yelling at her to explain her witchcraft secrets for writing so beautifully. :P Modern AU where Marcus and Abby meet at their high school reunion.
8. Femme Aux Phlox by @brittanias - another amazingly well-written fic that made me cry. An amazing storyline (better than what we got on the show, tbh) and utterly, amazingly beautiful. Canon-compliant S3 fic that addresses Abby losing the Chancellorship and what that does to their relationship. Hint: Abby needs somewhere to live, and Marcus Kane’s door is open.
9. There Will Be Time by @shefollowedfires - another beautiful canon-compliant fic. Emily’s characterization is on-point, and the language she uses is just beautiful. I swear, I’m a little jealous of the precision of her words and the loveliness of her writing. (Also, she’s one of the coolest people on the planet and makes lovely gifsets. Besides the point). Canon-compliant, Marcus and Abby find a cute little cottage in the woods and have some much-needed alone time.
10. We Had It Good There For Awhile by @kane-and-griffin - I have never seen The West Wing, but that didn’t stop me from reading this at 4 a.m. the night it was posted and then crying my eyes out over it. You really don’t have to know the show to read and love it - I mean, it probably helps if you know the background - but it’s by no means necessary to appreciate the amazingness of this storyline. West Wing/Political AU where Abby is the White House Press Secretary and Marcus is the White House Communications Director.
…so, there you go! Emily’s long, rambly list of favorite fics. Hope I helped you out, nonny! Like I said, these are only the ones I’ve bookmarked/read a thousand times on AO3, and I know there are many awesome ones here that are in my tag or I forgot to mention. All the writers in this fandom are extremely talented, and I’m thankful and honored to be part of it.
I can’t believe we’re gonna have to wait so long to see the next episode of The 100 but I am READY for those reunions, man. Are you even ready to see Bellamy and Clarke see each other for the first time after not knowing if the other was alive (or being sure the other was dead in Bellamy’s case)? It’s gonna get REAL