So, incidentally, my experience with the movie Megamind is that I ended up watching it backwards in a hotel once when I was younger and nothing else was on. And by “backwards” I mean, the first day I only caught the latter half of it and then it was on again the day after and I saw the first half.
That said, that one dang scene, is kind of an immortal one in my mind, because it’s one that has a lot more depth than it seems to.
The part that people often miss is that right after that pithy one-liner of how the difference between a villain and a supervillain is presentation… that whole conversation gets context.
Because Titan makes an immediate lunge for Megamind.
And immediately gets crunched by the giant head, and stuck in that situation because Megamind just drops out of the bottom, to a waiting vehicle, and maneuvers around him to focus on the actual issue: rescuing the hostage while Titan’s occupied.
That whole setup isn’t just, “watch me out-drama you”, it’s showing off an actual tactical asset.
Because Megamind as a character is someone who was always, always motivated by getting attention. The reason why Roxanne is never afraid of being his hostage isn’t because of her unshakable faith in a rescuing hero as much as it is that she knows, ultimately, what Megamind is doing is overwhelmingly a show. His atrocities are symbolic in nature. When he actually needs to take somebody out he dehydrates them into a cube for a while. And it’s not just Roxanne that calls him on this, either- Metro Man’s entire retirement scheme hinged on the idea that Megamind really didn’t need someone keeping him at bay from innocent civilians, because, as we’ve seen, innocent civilians really don’t have much to fear from him. Ultimately he is still, actually, just a kind of needy person desperately looking for validation and approval, neither of which can be provided by dead people.
But that’s not to say he can’t actually fight. Like any actual proper magician, he knows how to hold attention and an element of danger is how that works. He’s actually brilliant, and plenty capable of raising genuine hell.
However- he’s been doing this stageshow thing for ages. He’s mastered this. Titan may have him outgunned practically in every respect- but the guy has no conceivable head for subtlety.
So the real kicker to that whole setup, is this isn’t just Megamind being Megamind for the sake of drama- this is Megamind knowing exactly how easy Titan is to bait, dangling the largest trap he could possibly conceive in front of the guy, and doing it in an unapologetically glorious manner as any true performer would.
“Presentation” is not a superpower to be overlooked.
Can you explain why you think Jake Peralta has ADHD?
I’m actually really glad you asked because oooh boy, let met tell you, Jake Peralta, in my humble opinion as a fellow sufferer, is currently the single most obvious but sadly non confirmed (yet… one can still hope) fictional character with (most likely) undiagnosed ADHD out there. His strengths as well as his flaws all point towards him having the disorder.
So let me start with the good things:
- He’s a quick thinker! He thinks in unconventional ways with his mind taking leaps and turns whenever it feels like it. Often allowing him to solve cases in creative ways. … It also makes for interesting conversations most of the time.
- Using his impulsivity in a good way! When he figures something out, he’s usually the first one to get up AND DO SOMETHING.
- Excitability! Have you seen how his eyes lights up when he feels like he’s doing what he thinks is right? He becomes like a little hyperactive child again. Usually, adults with the disorder, aren’t as much outwardly hyperactive anymore as children are. Instead, this tends to turn into feelings of restlessness and gets internalized. But of course, in a show like this, it makes sense to show him like this.
- Hyperfocus! Die Hard, anyone?! That guy has had the same hyperfixation for years!!! And I bet, he frequently uses his hyperfocus capability to get things done, too. That is, if he’s interested enough, of course.
- His energetic personality! Brings some energy and passion into the work place, don’t you think? And also it’s how many adults with ADHD are perceived if they feel well-integrated and at ease with their surroundings. Always the one coming up with new ideas? That’s us!
Now onto the not so good stuff when you’re the one struggling with it:
- Again, impulsivity. Saying the first thing that comes to your mind, talking… A Lot, acting without thinking and without regard for consequences. As seen on the show, it has not always been the best “decision” for him.
- Mood swings! Unfortunately, many are not aware of this fact but in many cases, ADHD actually comes with fast and frequent mood swings. The smallest things can trigger intense emotional responses. Jake definitely has that as he tends to jump from “Life is meaningless!” to “I’m the greatest!” without a problem. Just solved a case? I’M SO HAPPY!!! Oh no, they got away with it? Why bother anymore…… Yeah, that…
- You know the episodes where he and Captain Holt are undercover as part of the Witness Protection Program and Holt points out how Jake seems depressed lately? Yeah, people with ADHD can way too easily fall into this mindset (mood swings, anyone?). With the absence of regular work to keep his fast-pacing mind occupied, it’s not a surprise that he starts feeling this way.
- Not able to handle boredom! He has always something going. Games, ideas, looking for new cases. He never slows down and seems to keep himself occupied at all times. Classic ADHD!
- The way he handles words and numbers, anyone? How he never reads books? Oh, and then his troubles with finances? His locker and desk looking… like that? Classic signs of troubles with organisation and attention to me.
- Easily discouraged! It can’t be denied that he hasn’t had an easy childhood. Together with the troubles with his father, ADHD could be a way to explain why he now is the way he is.
- Problems with lowself-esteem (*cough* and definitely Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria)! Either he feels like THE BEST COP OUT THERE or he falls into this thinking pattern where you have trouble believing that people actually care about you. Probably something he should talk about in therapy, as he puts it himself.
Together with his tendency to procrastinate when it comes to boring stuff, his inability to express and cope with his feelings sometimes, his forgetfulness and not so ideal time management (for example, being late to work all the time), I strongly believe that Jake Peralta has ADHD and should be written and confirmed as such (hey, it’s never too late!). An episode focusing on him suspecting he has the condition and eventually seeing a specialist? I’d cry. Honestly.
Plus: The fact that so many real people with the disorder relate to him??? Okay, that’s not actually relevant here but definitely something the writers should take into consideration. BUT, don’t feel bad if you don’t! Not everyone’s ADHD is the same! :)
Psst, you won’t believe how many times I sit there thinking “that’s so me!” while watching the episodes. There’s even more “evidence” sprinkled throughout the show. All the small details not listed aboved. It’s marvelous and oh-so-relatable.
And just imagine the many excited faces watching the show when a main character on a immensely popular show like this would be confirmed as being one of them! Just thinking of the tiny, tiny, TINY possibility puts me into happy stimming mode!!! It would also help increase awareness in those who may not know anything about it and help reduce prejudices ‘cause ding dong, ADHD is not a fake disorder and adults can have it, too. Surprise!
• Share a coffee with me at a coffee shop
• Laugh with me at the movie theatre
• Hold my hand or hug me when I jump during a scary movie
• Go to a party with me
• Have fun eating with me at a cheesy diner, like Steak and Shake
• Take a drive around town with me, listening to music
• Cuddle in bed with me while we watch some show on Netflix
• Play a round of pool with me
• Swim with me
• Order take out with me
• Go bowling with me
• Make out with me while we listen to music
• Play a video game with me
• Go hiking with me
• Sit in a car and listen to music while just talking about our lives
• Lay a blanket out at night and watch the stars together
• Lay a blanket out at day and enjoy a picnic together
• Go jogging together
• Go ice skating together
• Go rollerblading together
• Just lay in bed and nap with me
• Let me lay on your lap while you play a sports game or a shooting game
• Go to dinner with our friends
• Or have a romantic dinner out with just me
• Make dinner with me!
• Play some board games together
• Park by the lake and watch the sunset
• Watch the sunset and hang out with me so long that we get to watch the sunrise together too
• Make a list of every possible place to make out and then cross them all off as we go
• Snapchat each other our ugliest photos from right next to each other
• Go dancing in the rain with me
• Make each other breakfast in bed
• Go to the fair with me
• Browse the stores in the mall or any other stores nearby
• Take me to a library and watch me freak out over so many books
• Tell me your whole life story anywhere you want, as long as you want
I crave the domestic parts of a relationship. Screw expensive dates and a new piece of jewelry every week. Let me cook you dinner and have it ready when you get home from work. Let’s talk about our days over a nice home-cooked meal. Help me fold laundry while we watch our favorite tv show. I don’t want fancy stuff, I just wanna live with my best friend.
NU’EST Hyung Aron looking after his members at the M countdown ending!
I noticed that at the end of m countdown Aron looked after the Nu’est members so well it was seriously cute!
-Aron holds onto Ren’s waist and gently guides him in front of himself allowing Ren to escape the heavy crowd before him
-Aron also does the same for Baekho, guiding him towards the exit to escape the crowd. Aron is the last one to leave the stage, besides Minhyun
-BUT the thing that really stood out to me while watching it live, was Minhyun turned around the second the show was over, and waved his queue cards around trying to get Aron’s attention- he didn’t need to because Aron was already gazing intently at him! Aron looks so proud im crying
<b><p></b> <b>Dipper:</b> Is it weird that I love him so much it makes my ears sweat?<p/><b>Mabel:</b> No, no.<p/><b>Dipper:</b> Is it weird that I think about him all the time, even in the bathroom?<p/><b>Mabel:</b> *chuckles* No.<p/><b>Dipper:</b> Is it weird that I made him a deer teeth ring and I want to ask him to marry me?<p/><b>Mabel:</b> <p/><b>Mabel:</b> Well, yeah. That's— that's completely weird.<p/></p><p/></p>