CultureHISTORY: The Los Angeles Uprising - 25th Anniversary (Pt. 2) - April 29, 2017
Photos and captions via the Los Angeles Times, LA Daily News, AP and CBS News. (Pt 1)
April 30, 1992 National Guardsman stands at alert near graffiti that spells out support for Rodney King.
Cornelius Pettus, owner of Payless market, throws a bucket of water on the flames at next-door business Ace Glass on 4/30/1992. Hyungwon Kang / Los Angeles Times.
Two Korean men stand on the roof of a grocery store with rifles to prevent looters from entering the store. April 30, 1992, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/John Gaps III)
Tony Meeks, left, loads a pistol to help Norman Simples protect his store at Vermont and Manchester avenues while they wait for help from the National Guard on May 1, 1992.
An LAPD officer trains his weapon on men arrested for looting as a State Police officer handcuffs one of them on 5/1/1992 on Martin Luther King Blvd. near Vermont Avenue.
May 1, 1992 – “Can’t we all just get along?”- Rodney King meets the press outside his lawyer’s office in Beverly Hills . King asked that the killing, looting and destruction that his case against the LAPD caused would stop.
“This man approached a line of police officers and gave them conciliatory words, telling them that they had no idea how angry the people in his community had become.” - May 1, 1992. (Photo by John McCoy / Los Angeles Daily News)
Actor Edward James Olmos uses a dumpster and broom in an effort to start cleaning up in South Central Los Angeles on May 1, 1992. (AP Photo/John Gaps III)
Bobby Wade holds a sign asking for peace at the corner of Pico Blvd. and Fairfax on 5/1/1992.
Its for political, cultural, and social opinions my dudes. Check out C and Raenise (@CandRAENIS3): https://twitter.com/CandRAENIS3?s=09
I’m for LGBTQ+ rights, gender equality, black lives matter, brown lives matter, less police, feminism etc. I’m also an organizator and activist for Fight For The Souls of the City at the Strategy Center at 3546 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90008.
It was important to me that my first public mural be in South Dallas near where I grew up. Most of the people of that community go their entire lives without being exposed to art, especially GOOD art. I wanted to give them something everyone within the community could be proud of. I wanted to bring them art that celebrated the rich heritage of the people it represented and let them know one of their own sons was doing it. I wanted to show them “following your dreams” means you don’t have to have a traditional job if you don’t want. You can literally wake up and do what you love every day of your life.
The good people at the Dallas Weekly were nice enough to let me deface their building, so now you can go by and see the mural in person FOREVER! Or until it’s not there… 3101 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Dallas, TX 75215 on the Meadow St side of the building.
Take some pictures with it, and tag me in them!!! @stemandthorn
My friends, the time is here. I have signed the books, and they now sit in boxes, waiting for YOU. And I CREATED some items as well that you get as GIFTS for pre-ordering. I can now SHARE with you some images of the things you will GET when you pre-order.
When you pre-order from the stores listed below, you will get:
- a signed copy of the book
- three stickers, which look like THIS:
I thought these sentiments might resonate with you. In this photo, these stickers look HUGE. The real things are 2.5 inches in diameter and can be placed on a phone or your face or anywhere you want to EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT WHAT YOU READ.
- You will also get this COMPUTER DECAL (12 inches by 2 inches) that TELLS THE WORLD ABOUT OUR FRIENDSHIP.
- And also THIS BRACELET which CONFIRMS this information:
OH AND IT GLOWS IN THE DARK IS ALL.
But say you want to order this as a GIFT for someone for the HOLIDAYS? But you are worried that since all these things won’t come until February 10th you can’t?
WORRY NO MORE. WE MADE YOU A CARD. Here’s the image. You can download it here. Just print it out and BOOM. Gift accomplished.
You get ALL OF THAT just for pre-ordering from the independent booksellers listed below.
WORRIED THAT THESE STORES AREN’T NEAR YOU? Get off the worry train. That is NO PROBLEM. These stores will DELIVER. Order from ANYWHERE YOU LIKE. They will HOOK YOU UP. IT COULD NOT BE EASIER IF I BROUGHT THE BOOK TO YOUR HOUSE AND READ IT TO YOU.
(Just one note: not all stores take on-line preorders, please visit the stores site or give them a call to double check with the stores themselves to make sure this option is available and that you will receive your prize packs! Still very easy. Just double check to make sure.)
Mable’s Fables 662 Mount Pleasant Road Toronto ON M4S 2N3 416.322.0438
Pre-order the book from the select retailers below and you’ll receive a SIGNED copy of The Shadow Cabinet, a computer decal, a set of removable sticker, and a glow in the dark wristband! Also if you are giving this as a gift download a fancy greeting card HERE (right click to download).
Below is a list of participating stores.
NOTE: Not all stores take on-line preorders, please visit the stores site or give them a call to double check with the stores themselves to make sure this option is available and that you will receive your prize packs!
Mable’s Fables 662 Mount Pleasant Road Toronto ON M4S 2N3 416.322.0438
In an interview, Peyton Meyer said that Lucas was most like Topanga, but, I disagree. I feel like that Lucas was written to be more similar to Angela.
Before you disagree, let me give you a list of all the reasons/clues I got from Girl Meets World:
1. Riley, Maya, and Farkle have known each other basically all of their lives, similar to Cory, Shawn, and Topanga.
2. While Farkle is obviously very similar to his father, Stuart Minkus, he is also very similar to Topanga in her Boy Meets World days: always wanting A’s, awkward and weird to others around her, wanting to be the best at everything, and starting off the show not caring about how others saw her/her appearance, and gradually becoming more concerned with her appearance as time went on. (Farkle in Girl Meets Flaws and Girl Meets Yearbook) Also, Topanga had feelings for Cory, which is similar to how Farkle feels for Riley, and she also kissed Shawn twice (without strong romantic feelings), similar to how Farkle kissed Maya’s hand (unromantically). It is shown that Farkle seems to be more interested in Riley, and Riley is similar to Cory. Farkle is written more like Topanga in my opinion.
3. So that leaves: Riley=Cory, Maya=Shawn, and Farkle=Topanga.
4. Lucas comes into Riley, Maya, and Farkle’s lives later on. Shawn discovers Angela through her purse, and Maya discovers Lucas on the subway.
5. Angela and Topanga become the female Cory and Shawn, they become best friends, similarly to Lucas and Farkle becoming the male Riley and Maya.
6. Angela and Lucas both live with one parent, while the other is away in another state.
7. And back to how Farkle and Topanga are similar: Topanga’s parents have issues in their marriage and eventually split after Topanga’s father liked another woman and cheated. Farkle’s parents’ marriage is very unstable, and Stuart is still trying to get Topanga.
8. Angela had an ‘interesting’ relationship with the character that she wasn’t considered canon with (Cory), while Lucas has a similar type of relationship with the character that he currently isn’t supposed to be canon with (Maya).
9. Both Lucas and Angela grew up in different places as their other three friends, Angela grew up in a different city, while Lucas grew up in a different state. ( I did my research on this one. Angela has been said to have grown up on Martin Luther King Blvd, which is in Allentown, Pennsylvania, a different city from Philadelphia)
OK, this was longer than expected, but that’s my thoughts…
Hey Richelle Mead fans, we have awesome book news!
If you pre-order a SIGNED copy of the breathtaking, new fantasy novel from bestselling author RICHELLE MEAD from these indies below you will receive (drum roll, please) an additional EXCLUSIVE DELUXE COVER!
Isn’t that awesome? You can pre-order from the participating stores below. Please make sure you take a look at their specifications (some don’t take online orders, and some ONLY take online orders so when in doubt give them a call!!).
So to recap your pre-order gets you: A SIGNED edition of Soundless AND an additional DELUXE COVER. Essentially this cover goes over the current jacket with new art that plays with the art below it. So: AWESOME.
Note: Why does it say “cover not final” below the deluxe cover image? The art featured above is still being tweaked and enhanced for printing so the colors work with the fancy paper we will be printing it on. Final art will be very similar to what you see here!
I’ll be at my table THE ENTIRE TIME except for my two panels below!
FRIDAY 5:30 pm Room 208 MARVEL CULT CHARACTERS Call the sitter and tell them you’ll be late! JOE MOCHOVE and RUSTY ROWLEY, your friends from the internet sit down to discuss some of Marvel’s more offbeat and wonderful characters with JOE QUINONES & CHIP ZDARSKY (Howard the Duck), ERICA HENDERSON (Squirrel Girl), TRADD MOORE (Ghost Rider) and SKOTTIE YOUNG (Rocket Raccoon).
SATURDAY 4:00pm Room 208 MILKFED CRIMINAL MASTERMINDS From ODY-C to BITCH PLANET, SEX CRIMINALS to PRETTY DEADLY, MATT FRACTION and KELLY SUE DECONNICK are responsible for many of today’s most compelling comics. Together they make up MILKFED CRIMINAL MASTERMINDS. Join them and their special guests CHIP ZDARSKY (Sex Criminals) and CHRISTIAN WARD (ODY-C) for a discussion of what’s next for this burgeoning company!
And, most importantly, I’ll be at THE BRIMP-UP!
It’s on SATURDAY at 7 and will be held at the BUFFALO WILD WINGS, 400 E. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Suite B, across the street from the Convention Center! CHECK OUT THIS LINKto see what it’s all about! Matt and I have a pretty great thing for everyone who shows, so you should definitely hit it, okay? OKAY.
SUNDAY 12:30 pm Room 207AB HUMOR WHAT’S SO DANG FUNNY? This bunch of folks that’s what: moderator and Heroes Store Manager JUSTIN CROUSE and CHIP ZDARSKY (Howard the Duck), RYAN BROWNE (God Hates Astronauts), MATT CHAPMAN (Gravity Falls), ANDY SURIANO (Samurai Jack). This will be a qualified hoot!
And what’ll be happening AT my table? GLAD YOU FINALLY FUCKING ASKED
-I have VERY FEW of the SEX CRIMINALS VOL. 2 convention hardcovers left! So, yeah, if you need one, hit me early on Friday! Limit one per person!
-KAPTARA issues 1 and 2! With the handsome KAGAN McLEOD there to sign them with me! He’s also bringing the original art, which is mind-blowing.
-JUST THE TIPS! Again, limited! So hurry on over if you want to do sex good!
-THE LIMITED-EDITION FRENCH PAPER SEX CRIMINALS SÉRIGRAPHIE! They’re 40x60cm and they are so nicely printed I cried a little when I saw them. They’re $50, but they came all the way from EUROPE like Christian Ward, so they’re automatically fancy!
-As always, I’ll be doing inkwash headsketches on watercolour paper. Only fictional characters (not you, your baby or Bea Arthur). And they’ll be $30 for the character of your choosing or $20 for whatever I feel like drawing (usually a gross clown)! QUALITY DRAWINGS AT QUALITY PRICES.