Next models complete!
I managed to get these finished in a couple weeks which isn’t bad for my progress so far!
I decided to paint a few characters for my Emperor’s Children to give the completed models a little more flavour and interest before going back to the rank-and-file. I’ll still have plenty of those to work on!
First in line there we have a space marine in Mark II armour wielding a thunder hammer. This one’s not exactly a character per se, but still a unique model compared to the rest of the force. I think it could still be used as a sergeant or bodyguard for a character of some sort. It’s part of the Mark II Command set from Forge World. The other model it came with was a standard bearer, which is what I wanted more, but this model came with that anyways. It’s still cool I think! Gave me some use of the Emperor’s Children Mark II Shoulders as well. The hardest thing about this model was the thunder hammer arms. I couldn’t quite get them to line up properly! So I had to leave both wrists slightly off alignment and just fill in the gaps that were left. I think that worked pretty well! I also added the crest from Burning of Prospero to add a bit of interest. I know I’m not using those crests for sergeants so I have a few extra to use elsewhere. I also gave it a sidearm just to represent that it’s still carrying a bolt pistol.
Next is the Chaplain Kurtha Sedd from Betrayal at Calth. I knew I wanted to try converting this model a little just so that it doesn’t look identical to everyone else’s Kurtha Sedd. Since the pose is so static there isn’t a whole lot of room for conversions. However, the head swap was easy to do! I just gave him one of the Emperor’s Children heads from Forge World with one of the plumes. You get three in the set so rather than use the plumes for sergeants (since I’ll probably make 6 and that would be too many) I decided to leave the plumes for special characters like this. Unfortunately this model still has some massive gaps on the cape, but I decided I would rather paint it in a sub-assembly and leave the back off until after it was all painted. I’m a stickler for trying to paint all of the hard to reach areas even if they’re not totally visible, but the trade off is I can’t ever fill that gap. All well! Speaking of hidden details, I did also bother to freehand on the left shoulder for the Emperor’s Children iconography, even if it’s mostly covered by the cape now. I kind of wanted that look anyway! I also wanted to give the chaplain a volkite charger instead of the plasma pistol. It’s one of the few characters that can take one and I think they’re cool! Also changes things up a bit from the standard model.
Finally there’s the Apothecary in Mark IV armour from Forge World as well. This model was kept pretty well the same that it came with the exception of another volkite charger. Randomly apothecaries are one of the other few characters that can take one so I figured why not! Little more interesting than the standard bolt pistol. There’s something about the pose of the arm though that’s twisting the gun a little too much for my liking, however. The bolt pistol that was there was already at an angle but I guess replacing it with the longer gun just exaggerated that, making it more noticeable. The hardest thing about painting this model was simply deciding what colours to paint all the apothecary gadgets and bottles and wires and other doodads! I almost forgot to paint one of the wires on the arm! I think I’m good with the colours I picked though. I didn’t want to use too many different colours because I figured it would make it look like a pack of skittles. When trying to figure out how to paint one of the types of cable I couldn’t think of a colour I wanted to use but then I thought about hazard stripes! That way the colour isn’t too bold and I get some practice painting chevrons if I ever need to paint Iron Warriors!
Thanks for checking these out! I notice now how much work can still be done cleaning up resin models compared to the plastic. Next time I might spend even more time tying to make all the surfaces totally smooth. I wanted to do another group shot of my completed Emperor’s Children out of the display case but there’s getting to be too many to do that easily now! So I just took a new picture in the case.
Hope to see you for the next ones. I think I’ll paint a few more of the Mark III marines to even out their completion, and then we’ll go from there. Until next time!