Keith’s Family: A Theory
( in response to @paladinspride‘s post about Keith’s family)
Tbh I’ve had some theories thinking that maybe Keith was somehow related to Lotor in some way / other galran royalty. I’m not entirely sure how all that would be explained but.. I’ve had a few thoughts..
So we know Zarkon is Lotor’s father – but we don’t know who his mother is.. so I’m assuming she’s (at least half) Altean because Lotor’s appearance does resemble Haggar’s (who is Altean herself).. I personally don’t think Haggar is Lotor’s mother, though, I think we’ve still to see her. But where would Keithy boy come into this?
Tbh this is where it gets a little confusing I guess, because there’s no way to tell.. but I suppose you could argue that Lotor and Keith have the same mother? Since it doesn’t look as if Lotor has extended his life for 10,000+ years via Quintessence, it would be safe to assume that his mother was around recently.
- I’m thinking that maybe Lotor’s mother (or I’ll just call her Galra Mom/GM for now) is part of the BoM..and she’s one of their top members. For a huge infiltration mission, she goes in and tries to take the empire down from the inside or gain information, and so she goes by trying to gain Zarkon’s trust. It’s a bit difficult at first since she’s Altean (or at least half) and she needs to really work at making Zarkon (and others close to him) think she’s not a threat. However, it does work and they get (the galra equivalent) of married… skip a few years and Lotor is born.
- As a small kid, Lotor’s learning under Haggar and other people who are fiercely loyal to Zarkon’s regime. Galra Mom isn’t too happy because she loves her boy but if things continue he’s going to end up just like his father (which she does not want) and so she tries to teach him about how wonderful the universe is and all of the different planets and cultures.
- Small time skip (Lotor’s around 5/6) and GM is sitting in a playroom or something watching little Lotor playing with his toys thinking about how people are becoming more suspicious of her and she knows that she probably doesn’t have a lot of time left before her cover is blown.. so she knows she will have to leave soon. It breaks her heart because she wants to keep her son safe from Zarkon’s influence but she could end up getting killed and harming her son and the mission.
- Meanwhile, whilst little Lotor has been growing up, Zarkon somehow managed to acquire the red lion of Voltron. GM knows that, above anything else, she needs to try and keep Voltron away from Zarkon or there really will be no happy future for anyone in the universe. So one night, she’s in the hangar where the red lion is kept and pleads with her (i hc red as a girl btw) to allow her to pilot her to somewhere safe. Red refuses however and reassures her that her paladin will come for her. So she takes an escape pod.
- When she lands, GM has no idea where she is, all she knows is the planet is called Earth. She wanders around and doesn’t really know what to do now..by now, the empire will know of her betrayal, so there’s no going back. Might as well explore the planet then before settling down somewhere she knows she will stay safe.
- As she wanders the planet, GM tries not to think too much about how much she misses her boy - the thought of him growing up without her just pains her so much and she longs to go back and see her son. But now is not the time. She can only hope he won’t be like Zarkon.
- Another time skip and GM decides to stay in a desert-like area..it’s pretty much barren, so there’s no chance of someone coming here. Except there is. And that guy is ..
Keith’s dad. (I also think that he may have gotten that scar from either doing some dangerous exploring, or getting attacked by GM when she thought he was going to hurt her – but again, that’s a really minor side-theory)
- ANOTHER TIME SKIP, and GM is falling love with this human man (and he teaches her about life on Earth, and she eventually tells him of her home and shows him her space pod and stuff). Lucky for her, he’s falling in love with this awesome galra lady
- She gives him her BoM blade to remember her by (because she knows again that she can’t stay on Earth forever)
- Anywhooo, they end up together and *insert time skip here* they have a little boy, Keith. She adores her little boy, and hopes that one day that Keith will get to see his half-brother
- One day, when Keith is like 2/3, GM gets a warning from her pod that Galra are approaching and locking on a signal in the Milky Way Galaxy about Galra tech there.. and yikes she knows that’s time up for her.
- She tells Keith’s dad that night that she needs to leave. There are tears (just like the night she left Lotor) and she promises that she’ll come back one day and that she’ll reunite all her family. But for now, she needs to complete her mission and keep Voltron out of Zarkon’s hands and keep the universe safe.
- That night, Keith’s dad and little Keith watch as GM’s space pod flies into space
- From that point onward, GM travels through space, planet to planet and galaxy to galaxy doing what she can to resist Zarkon’s regime. She does this for many years until one day she finds herself trapped in the belly of a welbum whilst in the middle of an important mission. She’s gotten herself out of lots of tricky situations, but not entirely sure how she’ll get out of this one.
- It’s been well over a week now… She’s still trapped in the worm and her pod is running out of resources to keep her going. She thinks maybe this is it and she’ll never get to see her family again. She’ll never get to see Lotor, Keith, or Keith’s father. The three people in her life that she truly loved and cared for. She begins to lose hope…until someone opens up the pod and gets her out.
- She’s stunned at first, because the boy’s eyes resemble Keith’s eyes..but there’s no way it’s him. It looks as if he has black hair too, but there’s no way of knowing… Once she escapes, all she thinks about how That’s impossible..There’s no way my little boy would be out in space. Not now…could he?
(aaand that’s everything i got for now..i don’t think there’s much more i could really say.. if you have anything to add to this or discuss, feel free! :) )