The left-hand picture - a high-perspective shot of the central plaza at Hope’s Peak (click it for full detail!) - is my favorite picture in the Danganronpa 3 Staff Book. Not only is it a valuable resource for fic writers, it’s also FULL of tiny chibi characters with details that thrill me.
I waited until I could scan this one in for maximum detail, but I’ll also guide you through everyone I managed to identify here. There are a few minor differences between the two pics… and I wish I could read the Japanese at bottom.
(No lie: I had to use a magnifying glass to tell who some of the characters are… and some are still unknown to me.)
Please use the markup photo at right for guidance as we go through this.
-Top, from left to right: Top photo has Nanami in her hoodie behind a tree (absent in bottom version). Next we see Yamada balanced atop a tree while Fuyuhiko and Peko are watching below, pointing their weapons up at him. Then Teruteru is ALSO perched on a treetop (is this a competition?) with Hikyoko and Mahiru below, the latter taking a photo. Top center shows Bandai next to Great Gozu, who is literally grazing (!). Sakura is next; she and Akane are flying towards each other in a battle while Monokuma stands atop the fountain, watching. Nekomaru is actually wading IN the fountain. To his right is Munakata/Yukizome, who are holding hands while Juzo surreptitiously watches nearby. The top pic (not shown at bottom) has a final girl with long pigtails who is walking on the top-right path. Who is she? I can’t identify her…
- Center, from left to right: The center starts with Hagakure and Asahina facing each other on a blanket, each with a ball placed before them (I assume Hagakure has his crystal ball, but the black ball that Asahina has? No idea). Togami is standing just above that, watching them. Slightly up and to their right are Toko and Komaru; note that Toko is Genocide/r Jack/Syo in the top picture, but she’s normal Toko in the bottom one. Next is Gundham and Sonia, poised over a pentagram for some dark ritual. To their immediate right is Souda on all fours, trying to figure out what’s up. From there we move to a bench where Chairman Tengan is seated. Mitarai is kneeling on the ground, using the bench as a surface to draw something. The Imposter is to his right, watching over him. On the other side of the fountain, you can see Seiko and Ruraka with Izayoi laying on the latter’s lap. The far right hedge area has some person throwing a ball… who is that? Logically it should be Kuwata, but the hair is totally wrong for him. Anyway, he or she is throwing the ball at Mondo in a game of… baseball? cricket? Jai alai? I don’t know, but the bat is curved slightly and looks flat, so I’m at a loss. Ishimaru is watching this, and his companion is either Alter Ego’s laptop (in top pic) or Fujisaki (in bottom pic).
- Bottom, from left to right: First up is Monomi, standing beside Gekkogahara in her wheelchair. In the hedges next door, Junko is stomping on poor Mukuro. Our two main protagonist pairings are holding hands in front of the fountain: Hinata/Nanami and Makoto/Kirigiri (more proof that Naegiri is canon). This does mean that the top picture contains TWO Nanamis total, so you get to choose which one is her A.I. and which is real. Also note that Komaeda is standing alone behind the couples by the fountain, and Kizakura is watching over Kyoko from behind a tree farther down from there. There’s another character with Kizakura, but I don’t recognize him/her. Any guesses? (I hope it’s Jin.) In the right-hand hedge section, we end with Maizano and Celestia meditating together on a blanket.
This picture is packed and delightful! Even so, come on, no Tsumiki or Ibuki?
This weird image of falling cast members (another from the Danganronpa The Animation Staff Book) has many intriguing features:
- Maizano is dressed as a witch and riding a broom
- Celes appears to have morphed her pigtails to use them as wings?
- Leon has gone straight insane and is carrying a sword (possibly the decorative gold sword?)
- Kyoko has tiny slug (?) versions of Asahina and Makoto riding on her!
- And most notably: THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL ART I’VE SEEN WHERE TOGAMI IS TOUCHING FUKAWA VOLUNTARILY (still looks kinda crabby about it though)