I realised that a lot of what I was told when I was little was almost witchy. There are so many stories that we tell children that’s basically different bits of magick, even if they’re only simple myths and legends. So, here’s a small list of all the magick things I was told when I was younger.
- “Don’t step on the cracks in the pavement, you’ll get sucked in.”
- “Those rocks are trolls. They were charmed by a witch and now they’re stuck, if you annoy them then they’ll curse you.” ((there were rocks in my grandparents’ house that looked like people, it was weird and that’s what my granddad used to say to get us to stop climbing on them))
- The only way to see leprachauns is to drink a lot of Guiness and go to the woods. If you catch one then they’ll grant you three wishes. ((drunk people wandering around some woods looking for magic ginger men?? not a great plan.))
- “Faries live in mushrooms and make dresses out of bluebells.”
- “If you eat carrots you’ll see in the dark.” ((if you eat too many you grow rabbit ears though- logic.))
- “Singing to plants makes them happy.” ((this one’s true, talk to your plants people))
- “If you want to know the time, blow the seeds off a dandelion. If it takes 2 blows then it’s 2 Oclock, if it takes 5 blows then it’s 5 Oclock. etc. etc.”
- “Praying to St. Anthony ((the patron saint of lost things- weirdly also my dad’s name)) will help you find what you’ve lost.”
- “If you don’t leave all of your bed sheets tucked in at night, the fairies will take you away and replace you with one of their own.” ((this scared the eff out of me when I was little. BTW THIS DOESN’T WORK- there’s actual ways to protect children from changlings, but this isn’t one of them. It was my mum trying to avoid making our beds every morning))
- Salmon makes you smarter ((in the myth of Finn MacCool he eats a salmon and gains all of the world’s knowledge- no i’m not making that up, it’s an irish tale. also- wtf ireland, that makes no sense???))
- If a black cat walks towards you it’s bad luck, if it walks away then it’s good luck.
- 7 years bad luck if you break a mirror.
- If you tempt fate, ie “the plane won’t crash” you have to knock on wood. ((apparently, if you didn’t have any wood, you’d have to knock your head- because that makes sense. wood= my head??. yuup))
- The wishbone of a chicken! You put your pinky finger on one side of the bone, someone else does the same on the oposite side. You both make a wish and pull, if you get the biggest piece then your wish will come true.
- If you see one magpie you have to say “good morning mr Magpie” and salute him, or you’ll have bad luck. It comes from the old rhyme “one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told.” ((genuinely still do this, can’t tell if it’s a weird habit or it the magpies actually get offended if I don’t))
- If you blow out all of the candles on your birthday cake then a wish will come true.
- If you pick a dandelion while it’s still a yellow flower, you’ll wet the bed that night.
- Spilled salt? Throw some over your left shoulder to banish Satan. ((don’t eff this up, if you throw it over your right shoulder you murder your guardian angel))
- If someone sneezes you have to say ‘bless you’ because when you sneeze your soul falls out, and Satan can possess you. Saying ‘bless you’ stops him.
- A horse shoe brings good luck, but it has to be hung upwards ( in the U shape) or all the luck will fall out
- If you shiver, it means that someone’s walking over the patch of dirt that will be your grave. (( i get spasms a lot, so when they happen i say ‘satan’s walking over my grave’ because they’re basically demonic shivers. it makes me laugh))
- If you haven’t taken down your christmas decorations by the 6th of January (the last day of the 12 days of christmas) you have to leave one decoration up all year long. ((if you forget again the next year you have to leave another one up, while keeping the last one up too- our house is constantly full of effing christmast decorations because we have no control over our lives))
In summary, parents are weird. Also some of this is really bizzare and scary, why did they think it was ok to tell us this????