because i’m still mad about this
- flower deserved better than how he was being treated in the pens franchise. he wasn’t a starter, he barely got ice time, and his game suffered because of it. he’s not a bench goalie and you can’t expect him to be content with that.
- he made a choice in FEBRUARY to waive his NMC, allowing the pens to leave him unprotected. this is a choice he made. yes i am aware that had he not made this choice they would have worked to trade him, but he knew this was the best opportunity for him.
- repeating above, this is the best opportunity for him. flower is a talented elite goalie, he’s a franchise building goalie. he helped bring the pens back from the dead. he doesn’t have a place in the pens where he can get what he wants (ice time, games, wins) with so much new talent in the team.
- if he was traded, he’d be the “new goalie” on a team that’s already settled and content with each other off the ice.
- he’d have to learn the team while the team knew each other and how they played on the ice. that’s a lot of pressure on him.
- either: he’d be taking another starters spot. this is flower. he would never choose to do that. or, he wouldn’t be a starter. he’s gone from a bad position to a worse position.
- flower now has the chance to do what he loves - play games, win games, expand hockey, build relationships, and promote youth leagues - which he’s already said he’s looking to do in vegas.
- the “pens fans” who hated them weren’t pens fans. they were fans of a team that won. flower, with his lack of ice time, the roster changes in the defensive lines, and the defensive lines mistakes to clean up after, wasn’t winning as much as muzz was. they went after him because he wasn’t winning, and that’s all they cared about. these fans are not representative of the pens fanbase, of the fanbase in pittsburgh, or the fanbase of marc andre fleury.
- if you love flower as much as you say you do, support him. have his back. show him you still love and appreciate him. that’s what he needs right now. not blind hatred towards his new team, not blind hatred towards the pens.
“He wanted to come here. He kept letting us know that he wanted to come here. And so Pittsburgh made sure that it happened. They gave us a pick to make sure it happened, and it was going to happen anyway.” from vgk GM, George McPhee
- he made his choice. respect that.