YOI AU where Victor is Yuri’s legal guardian
I love Yuri’s grandfather - but I’ve also recently entertained the idea that Victor is Yuri’s adoptive-parent/guardian. So hear me out:
- Victor ends up adopting Yuri when he’s a child - I like to think somewhere around the age of 8-10. I don’t want to kill off Yuri’s family so reasons as to why he was adopted is a mystery. VwV
- They don’t really have the very typical father/son relationship, in fact it’s still similar to what we see in canon but there’s the whole dad aspect where they can throw out stuff like, “Yurochka, be nice to fans!” and “Shut up, old man.” or something like that.
- Though Yuri’s been into ice skating since ever, so it’s not really Victor’s influence that made him take up the sport. But it does become Yuri’s motivation to follow Victor’s footsteps (but not because he want’s to follow dad’s footsteps or make dad proud - of course not).
- But then Victor does the most anime dad thing and leaves for Japan after the leaked video. He just leaves a note for Yuri like, “Out to do errands. Love, Dad. PS I took Makkachin with me. There is food in the fridge. Call Yakov if you need anything.” But then since Yuri and Victor are closer in this AU, Yuri figures out where his dad went and goes to Japan.
- Yuri meets Yuuri and is jealous because dad came running for this pig??? and so like any mature fifteen year old, he acts out on Yuuri.
- Basically canon ensues (lol), but it’s Yuri who challenges Yuuri to the Hotspring on Ice. When he loses, he goes back to Russia as a “fuck you, dad” kind of rebel thing.
- Yuri gets really pissed/jealous of Yuuri and Victor when he sees news of them or of the lives on TV. But it’s mostly because he wants dad to notice him like, “why does Yuuri get lots of hugs? He’s a crap skater.” but he’s also, “pffft– I am my own man, I don’t need hugs.”
- Then he meets them again and nothing’s really changed. But then he sees people flirting with Yuuri and he’s all, “oh hell no, that’s my dad’s pet project don’t you dare” and chases off everyone because even though he doesn’t like Yuuri, his dad does and so he has to do his part as a son. Because he’s the best son ever (even tho he has a shitty dad).
- When Victor and Yuuri marry, Yuuri is there as the ring bearer/best mate/idk. Whatever role he gets, he’s really proud and giddy but outside, he’s like, “fine, I’ll do it if you insist, old man”. Though he does tell Yuuri, after the vows are exchanged and the ceremony over and done with, that “I am so not calling you Dad.” And Yuuri’s just, laughing awkwardly because how did he get from 0 to married with fully grown child in less than a year.
- Yuri then goes back and forth Russia and Japan because training and parents (he doesn’t admit he likes visiting his parents and soaking in the hot springs).
- When he unknown length of time later starts dating Otabek - and Otabek visits him in Russia - Victor calls him freaking out because why are you on a date, you are still a fetus. While Yuuri’s trying to calm him down and manages to grab the phone and talks to Yuri like, “I’ll deal with Victor, don’t worry about it. Did you have fun on your date?” - Yuri doesn’t share yet because he doesn’t trust Yuuri. Never will.
- Victor flies to Russia to interrogate Otabek, but Yuuri warns Yuri ahead of time and so they get to prepare themselves. It’s only then that Yuri starts to openly trust Yuuri because now that he’s in this relationship thing and his dad’s annoying af, Yuuri is there to whisk Victor to some carnal paradise or something so he can enjoy his date.
IDK. I had a lot of ideas for this but this is what came out as I typed. OTL I wanted Yuri and Victor to move to Japan. Against Yuri’s wishes and fifteen year old rebel child intensifies. Then Otabek happens and protective!Dad Victor just explodes like - “He is my son, don’t touch him”. Yuuri is a shipper though, but a shipper for Yuri and happiness (he also realizes this must be how Phichit felt and gets advice from Phichit who also ships Yuri/Otabek).