i can't believe it's 2017 and i'm back watching south park like i'm 14 again for a canon (canon!!!) gay ship, damn. (a canon gay ship on south park!!!!!!!!!!!!)
there are a few things about this i really can’t get over:
• when i think of showrunners discovering fandom and shipping, a lot of time i think of shows like supernatural or teen wolf, where the cast and crew turn into this living embodiment of the Lenny Face for a year-plus, like “oh ANYTHING could happen wink wonk we aren’t afraid to Go There” before getting tired because they made the mistake of engaging a desperately starving beast by talking about its favorite food and WHO KNOWS, tomorrow it could be filet mignon for dinner!! but then it’s just bland overcooked, underseasoned white rice. again.
• and of all the shows in the world, all the ships in the world, South Park becomes aware that people on the Internet ship two boys and instead of doing the overplayed above, and instead of being like NO ONE IS SAFE FUCK U (which–let’s be real here–we were all expecting) they were like “hey please send us your fanart of this ship so we can feature it in a loving tribute to these fans and then make them a canon couple”
• and we continue to get content for them!! and they continue to be the only couple on the show that talks through their problems and they are sweet and after the first episode, none of their storylines have been “gay” storylines
• just two dumb kids in love trying to figure their shit out as they start to grow up and experience feelings for the first time
• fucking!!! SOUTH PARK!!! south park!
• what fucking bizarro timeline are we even living in