1. Do you love/hate/don’t feel strongly about this character? Most of these answers are going to vary by continuity, but not this one. Love. Every time.
2. What’s your favorite trait of this character? Classic Chuck: He did what far too many legacy-starting characters fail to do- he found a way to retire and train the next generation and have a mostly normal life, yet still remain relevant enough that he can appear in stories without having to become an active hero again. He found what he wanted to do with his life- marry Luornu, have a life together, and help keep the universe safe without risking those first two- and he did it. Reboot Chuck: He’s basically the Ascended Fanboy of the Legion- and what’s even better is that seeing his heroes as people doesn’t diminish his faith in them. He learns they’re human and they make mistakes but he still believes that they can accomplish anything if they work together and refuse to give in, and he can rally them to the point where they believe it too. He doesn’t just bounce back, he helps others do the same. And that’s the best.
3. What’s your favorite moment/event involving this character? In the Reboot continuity he comes in when the Legion is basically at the lowest they’ve ever been. Most of the Earth is devastated, the planet Trom is dead, Legion headquarters is half ripped open, the team’s just lost two good members and received two less-than-helpful replacements, their political viability is in shambles despite just barely pulling out a win against psychopaths with the powers of Superman… and in comes Chuck Taine. He’s just an engineering student on work study with Brande Industries. If not for the insurance payout from his parents dying in the Daxamite attacks he might not even be able to pay tuition. On the one hand, this is his dream job. He loves the Legion and what they do; he loves engineering; he knows BI is a great place to be employed and he bonds quickly with the other staff members. On the other hand, his parents just died and he’s going to work for and among the people they were counting on to save them. Not only does he never even look at the other hand, he hears his heroes bickering and complaining about where they’ve ended up and he comes back by telling them about that first hand, and how he’s glad to be here, “but… am I the only one?”. And everybody stops and thinks. It’s not a magical group-hug resolution for everything, not by a long shot- but it is probably the closest thing I’ve seen that still feels realistic.
4. If you could have one power/attribute/etc. of this character, what would it be? The bouncing is pretty fun, but… in the missing year while the Lost Legionnaires were presumed dead and the Legion disbanded, Chuck and Gear designed and helped build a fully artificial planetoid, complete with dozens of different custom habitats simulating slices of different homeworlds and a propulsion system capable of moving it from system to system. (And before you make the obvious protest: Brainiac Five was among the Lost Legionnaires, so he didn’t help until after it was all planned out.) I think we could use some of that kind of genius here and now, so I’d really like the knowledge base of a professional engineer who grew up in the 30th century. (Hell, even just the funding would be nice…)
5. Have you ever pictured this character naked? Nope.
6. When did you fall in love/hate with this character? If you don’t have any strong feelings toward them, why not? I dunno, I think I’ve always loved Chuck. He’s a Legionnaire with a ridiculous power, which means he’s a superhero on the basis of sheer goddamned will, and he’s a superhero role model for people of non-Exemplar body types, and he’s a giant (cuddly) nerd who gets the (triplicate) girl of his dreams. What’s not to love? But watching “Chain of Command” (the LSH cartoon episode where interpersonal issues among the team cause an impromptu leader campaign session during disaster relief from a massive storm) definitely stepped it up a notch.
7. Who’s your OTP for this character? Three out of nine Cargggites agree that Chuck Taine goes best with Luornu Durgo. :P
Triplicate Girl: Hi, Element Lad! I’m ready for our date! Are you excited? I’m excited! This is going to be so much fun! A real, live, boy-and-girl date! Element Lad: What happens now? Triplicate Girl: I have no idea. Triplicate Girl: We could try having a conversation. You start. Triplicate Girl: You start. Element Lad: I like being naked. Triplicate Girl: Okay, I’ll start.