So I’ve been loosely following the Discourse™ within the fandom and I have some things to add.
There’s been a lot of vitriol from other VIPs towards fans of Seungri. Some direct quotes (not naming names bc the point is not to call anyone out in particular, but rather the sentiment) - we are “fucking ridiculous”, “annoying as fuck”, “need to grow up”, “arrogant”, “i’m seriously gonna be ot4 cuz of maknae’s supposedly stans” - these are all from other VIPs! I don’t even know what triggered all this tbh. I think it’s because there’s also been a lot of discussion about criticizing GD which somehow turned to this but idk.
I think the real question behind all of this is - why are Seungri stans always asking for more attention for Seungri? Why are Seungri stans so sensitive? And I’ve also seen a lot of people upset about us talking bad about other members. To be honest, I haven’t seen a lot of this but I have seen it a few times.
I think a big part of the problem is that when you see Seungri stans asking “why can anything GD posts get millions of views but Seungri can’t?” - we aren’t saying GD is overrated and doesn’t deserve that. We are saying Seungri deserves that too.
We have to be honest with ourselves and each other and say that no, VIPs have not been equally supportive of all members. It’s impossible to be 100% even of course - but the disparity is so much worse than that (this applies to Daesung as well). So here’s my small explanation as to why Seungri stans are the way we are:
- Seungri’s GTTU video posted in Aug, 2013 - 13.5 million views. 어쩌라고 video posted in Jan, 2011 - 17 million views. Just look at the other member’s views from solo videos from the same time periods.
- For the GTTU project during US dates of MADE tour, fans were refusing to take signs saying they didn’t care about or didn’t like Seungri (if you’re unfamiliar, this was a project to cheer Seungri up and not feel like he “failed” with LTAL)
- YGE’s mismanagement of Seungri’s solos. Seungri had to make his LTAL solo album in TWO WEEKS. His amazing self-composed, written, produced solo. No promotion from YGE.
- We seem to get ridiculed for praising Seungri. If we praise his language skills for example, that’s suddenly something not worth praising and we are annoying and arrogant. Shouldn’t we be able to praise all members?
- We have to deal with fans and non-fans alike calling Seungri useless, untalented, arrogant, mannerless, a sexist, immature. Even from the members themselves - everything is a joke and nothing ever goes too far. If we ever say, “oh I think that was too far, I hope Seungri isn’t hurt,” we must hate the other members and treat Seungri like a baby. He’s not a baby; he’s an adult but he still has feelings. And even if he puts on a confident face, he does lose his confidence. He said recently that BIGBANG would be fine without him. He’s said numerous times in the past that his “arrogance” is just a front to hide how fragile he is and how sensitive he is to how others think of him. And yet even fans of BIGBANG belittle him.
I guess my point is - just be nice. I love Seungri and most of all I LOVE BIGBANG. I think that applies for just about every Seungri fan out there. Each member has their charms and talents, that’s why people have their favorites. But I think it’s best if we can be more united as fans. When we say please love Seungri, we don’t mean love only Seungri. We mean please love Seungri, too. I hope we can all support BIGBANG as five, and individually.