Ezra talking about LP3 (via inSing.com)
- I: What are some of the lyrical themes you're going for?
- Ezra Koenig: I don't want to give too much away before our fans get a chance to listen to it. Hearing fan interpretations of songs and seeing which lyrics they gravitate towards is one of my favourite parts of the band/fan relationship. I think this album is our most romantic (in all meanings of the word).
- I: You mentioned in an interview that it’s going to be “darker”? But the song ‘Unbelievers’ seems pretty upbeat…
- Ezra Koenig: "Darker" is a tricky word. We always like things with multiple layers. It wouldn't be a Vampire Weekend album without moments of joy but this album is maybe just a little deeper.
- I: Was there much thought about how the third album would differ from ‘Contra’? What are the influences behind it?
- Ezra Koenig: Yes, we want every album to be a distinct world unto itself. We're not very good at repeating ourselves anyway. This album feels more American to me. Definitely not "Americana" but more American.
- I: Can you think of a song that went into a direction that you wouldn't have anticipated?
- Ezra Koenig: There's a song called ‘Diane Young’ that went on a real journey. We always had the heart of the song but a few last-minute decisions made a big impact.