On Sunday, we hosted brunch and booze with friend Veronica Chan for a special breed of community folks that we saw take independent flight this past year. From starting our own companies, to contracting, to finally settling down with dream jobs, we were surprised (or perhaps, not so much?) to find some common experiences as we tried to piece together why we all chose to strike out on our own.
On choosing to be independent, we learned that:
- Sustaining passion for full-time roles is critical. It’s important that the values and shifting direction of the brand/company align closely with our own, particularly as the company grows.
- CM roles are now just starting to become more senior and influence product and design - we like this.
We also came up with a pretty interesting list of resources:
- Designing for Emotions for content
- Design is a Job for project structuring
- Conscious Capitalism for being a good business
- Reminder: Design is Still About Words for the link between copy and design
- Why User Experience is Immersive and Pervasive for community work as design