10 Reasons to watch Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
1) It features an amazing collection of female characters, who pass the Bechtel test while actively supporting and encouraging each other.
There’s Bart, who manages to be the most terrifying badass to ever grace the screen while still somehow retaining her child-like wonder and innocence.
There’s Farah, who isn’t afraid to step up and fight for the people she loves, all while battling acute anxiety and the biggest inferiority complex I have ever seen.
And then there’s Amanda, who is utterly fearless despite a near crippling disease that restricts both her freedom and her independence.
2. None of the above women are ever sexualized/objectified. At no point
are they raped. At no point does anyone threaten them with rape. Even when they
are placed in scenarios where we would expect rape, the threat never arises. In
a world where sexual violence against women is commonplace and used extensively in media, this
is both refreshing and strangely uplifting.
3. The male characters are almost completely useless and yet utterly charming.
There’s Dirk, who reluctantly allows the universe to chart his course, this despite the obvious trauma of his childhood and his unbearable loneliness.
There’s Todd, who so thoroughly hates himself he can barely stand to let another call him a friend.
And then there’s Ken, who overcomes overwhelming terror to find his place in the universe.
4. Two of the six main characters are characters of colour. And not only are they well-written, they are also central to the plot.
5. All of the bad guys are idiots. Literally. This isn’t a show where the above heroes need to outwit impossibly smart supervillains. It’s a show where the bad guys have no clue what’s going on and can’t even begin to figure out how they got themselves into this situation. This both simplifies the narrative and provides tons of comedic relief.
6. Pacing. Plot. Continuity.
If you’re looking for a show that holds together start to finish, where every little nuanced scene connects to the bigger picture, then this is the show for you. Try watching it through a second time. It’s seamless.
7. Time Travel.
I just love time travel, okay. Especially when it’s done well.
8. It’s weirdly hilarious. I love a show that doesn’t take itself too seriously. I love a show that throws convention and commonality out the window. I love a show that isn’t afraid to be weird. Especially when they’re adapting Douglas Adams.
9. It’s filmed in Vancouver! Wondering why there are so many SPN extras? That would be why. But more importantly, Vancouver is stunning. As a result, so is the show. BC is the perfect backdrop for the show’s vibrant use of colours. It’s really quite lovely to watch.
10. Finally, there are a plethora of ships.
There’s Dirk/Todd, who are utterly adorable in those moments when they do connect. Dirk is the loneliest, neediest person on the planet. Todd is filled with self-loathing. Dirk makes Todd feel worthy of love. Todd offers Dirk a connection. It’s a match made in some weird vortex of time and space.
There’s Bart/Ken, who somehow fit together in ways you’d never anticipate. Bart gives Ken’s life meaning. Ken helps Bart navigate the world outside of killing. They dig on each other like crazy.
There’s Farah/Amanda, who nicely counterbalance each other. Let’s face it, Farah’s a mess, but she’s protective as fuck and Amanda, who actually has her head together, often needs protecting. These two complement each other like crazy.
And then there’s Amanda/Rowdy 3 (yes there are 4 of them), who seem so well matched you’d think they were one soul inside 5 bodies. Plus, these boys would protect her with their lives and yet never once seem to see her as a sexual object.
Don’t like any of the above? How about Amanda/Dirk? Or Todd/Farah? Or Dirk/Farah? Or Dirk/Todd/Farah? Honestly, it’s an open universe, with so much potential and so many possibilities. Heck, I’m even shipping Rapunzel/Shark-Kitten.
But see, you don’t need ten reasons to watch it. You just need one. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency is a ton of fun, and it’s available on Netflix. There is literally nothing standing in your way.